Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2017 11:01:10 PM EDT
So me and my wife have recently picked up a few laying pullets of different breeds(polish, Asian black hoovers and New Hampshire reds). This is my first venture in to chickens but my wife's family has always raised them. So now I'm looking at roosters and am trying to decide between a Japanese bantem and a old English game. I'm not really too worried about breeding them at this point just buying what I like, this is just a hobby for us that we talked about since we bought our house (5acres) and plan on getting a few other small animals.

So anyways in true arfcom fashion I want some high speed low drag high end chickens. I've been looking at a few Asian breeds of game chickens like Asil, Saipan jungle fowel and Sumatrans. I'm most interested in the Asil because from what I've read they are very good around people. I'd really like to try my hand at finding a pair and possibly breeding them.

I have no intrest in really showing them and I know that there are some people in my area that fight them as I always see lots of game chickens tethered to 55 gallon drums and have heard lots of rumors of people fighting them. Again I have no interest in this either just want some really cool chickens.

Anyone doing this? Is this a terriable idea? What's your setup? What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any chickens yet, but will probably eventually get some game birds when I do. Asils are a good choice for someone that doesn't fight chickens. They are protective, but easily tamed. The hens are great mothers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top