Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 7:52:50 PM EDT
Thinking about having a metal roof installed on the house.  It's a ranch house & the roof is about 2820 sq ft.  Had an Amish guy out for an estimate, his price was pretty good I thought. Not standing seam but ABM panels.  Anyone here have a metal roof on the house, thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I like ours. They help on insurance but the only downside is that you have to screw the screws back down from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two metal roofs.  One is screwed and the other standing seam.  I will never
do another screwed down roof again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had them put on my houses. One in the snow country, open the door to the attic and crank up the wood stove and walk along the peak to separate the sides. Roof shoveled automatically. One in the desert that used to be shingled. We get horrendous winds and I had to keep a couple bundles of shingles on hand to replace the ones that blew off. Steel  roof solved the problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Screwed down steel here. Been on 5 years, looks like it did when installed.

Love it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Loved mine
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Any input regarding sound levels during a rain-storm? Gut instinct tells me it HAS to be louder during storms... anybody that has replaced an asphalt roof with steel have the real scoop?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any input regarding sound levels during a rain-storm? Gut instinct tells me it HAS to be louder during storms... anybody that has replaced an asphalt roof with steel have the real scoop?
View Quote
Maybe slightly, and we have a story and a half so no attic. Certainly not loud by any means.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Standing seam here, love it. The only real downside, is my cell phone reception isn't that great inside, and my poor mans digital TV antenna in the attic doesn't always get the best reception.

Added bonus, rain sounds awesome hitting the metal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if I'd characterize it as loud. But it does have a distinct sound. Keep in mind the insulation in your attic, and wooden sheathing will damper the noise a lot as well. Mine is for sure more quiet than any of my traditionally "noisy" appliances (washing machine, dishwasher, dryer).
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]
my house is made of steel,  the walls are steel 2x8 or whatever steel studs are called,  I have steel trusses and steel siding on the sides,  the roof is metal,  the screws get hot and cool down and slowly start working out,  I have to screw them down from time to time.  its not very noisy when it rains,  it does get hot AF in the attic.

we had a few decent hail storms pass,  my roof laughed at the hail.........
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Where I live, we get a decent amount of rain all year.  Standing seam roofs are very common and are the bee's knees, imo.  Rain sounds are not noticeable as we rarely have heavy rains. I have no idea what it would sound like if we had a real toad-strangling storm come through. Probably like a cow pissing on a flat rock? Not sure but the durability and low maintenance are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
With standing seam, wind damage tends to be an all-or-nothing sort of thing...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Only problem with rain is it makes it hard to wake up. Now we have a hickory nut tree next to the house and when a hickory nut hits you know it. Hail gets a little noisy but nothing terrible.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
i have standing seam, but with screw down trim on the eaves.  I have to turn down the tv sometimes to make sure I am really hearing rain hit the roof,,but we are insulated nicely. It is a great sound at night when the world is quiet. I am older and the metal roof will be there when i die, whereas a shingle roof would need replaced when i am too old to replace it, and it will be twice as expensive then.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]
We have a screw down roof it's been great so far. No complaints here and no real notice in noise.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have tin shingles on mine.  But they were put on in 1918.  Have to paint it about every 15 years.  No leaks and sounds great during a rainstorm.

Little hard getting regular homeowners insurance when they ask how old the roof is and you say, 99 years.  

Farm Bureau rep came out and looked at it, said it will be here another 100.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the input folks.  It seems like the screw down roof may have some re-tightening issues in more arid areas Texas/Oklahoma where there are more temp and humidity extremes.  I have another contractor coming out today for an estimate but I feel pretty good about going with the screw down panels.  I don't want to have to shell out $10k plus 30 years from now for another shingle roof when I'm in my 80s.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one on my house I installed myself on my ranch home pretty easy I kind of goofed on the trim and that looks ugly as heck so does my soffit  facia but I did my whole roof including new decking by myself so it was a money saver no issues yet but I hate shingling so it was worth it
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#19]
one thing i forgot. I do not know the exact pitch of my roof, but the rain runs down the metal roof so much faster then shingles that we did have to put the bigger spouting on, and snow (ohio) slides down in one piece, making snow thingys needed to hold the snow on the roof. The first year, ice and snow actually powered the gutter off in one place, and you really can hang from my gutter like a monkey
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Standing seam here, love it. The only real downside, is my cell phone reception isn't that great inside, and my poor mans digital TV antenna in the attic doesn't always get the best reception.

Added bonus, rain sounds awesome hitting the metal.
View Quote
All of this post is true... Infact I love the sound when it rains, especially at night, puts me right to sleep..
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#21]
My house is screwed-down metal siding & roof that I built myself 11 years ago. I used 1x4 pine lath on 2' spacing across my trusses and then put double-bubble wrap down before installing the metal. The  bubble is really just heavier duty bubble wrap with a layer of reflective mylar inside. Outstanding performance bouncing back radiant heat although R value isn't much. Double means it's got the reflective on both sides, single is usually white on one side. A 6' wide by 125' roll is about $150 around here. I did the whole house in it and it's a good vapor barrier. I did the roof on a simple shed out back without the bubble and my carport on the house with it and the difference is amazing standing under them in the summer heat/sun. I used button cap nails to hold the wrap down until I could get the metal all on the place. I used aluminum foil tape to seal seams of the bubble wrap. I think the wrap helps with the rain noise quite a bit but you can still hear the metal "sing" during a heavy rain.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]
A frame with 28/12 pitch. We put up five rib screw down, the panels were 26'4" long. About 30 square, replacing the faded quickly failing cedar shakes installed sometime when the house was put up in the mid 70's.

There was a tornado here in '03 which meant all my neighbors got new shingles, and I got to put another bundle of shakes on mine the following January patching holes. No coverage, too old. But ours took the wind a lot better than the flatter roofs. It all had to come off later, of course, and we discovered that 1) cedar shakes are a great way to harbor a full population of brown recluse spiders, and two, we could clear a portion and roof it as we went, leaving very little exposed.

It's been up 15 years and the south side has faded, it's dark bronze which doesn't look noticeably different that the previous shakes. It doesn't stick out in the neighborhood scheme, either. I have one irritating leak when the wind blows from the NE in a drizzle - it leaks down a rafter onto the kitchen counter top. No big deal. Other than than, it sheds rain like nobody's business, we later added gutters which must hang below where snow won't rip them off when it breaks free in a winter thaw.

Noise - our previous dish washer was noisier, we have a cathedral ceiling in the living room and when it does start raining you pick up on it over the TV. Hail gets your attention, we've had serious incidents like the Joplin EF5 dumping two inches in our yard. Not a problem for us, tho. Screws do back out - a 26 foot piece will grow 1 inch from 70 to 120 degrees and that is what can rack them out. Put down the spun bonded house wrap underneath to give it a slip layer and it won't stick making a popping noise when the sun hits it. We've gotten used to it - it tells you the sun is out.

While I would do some of the installation details on the roofing job differently I would do metal again in a heartbeat. We have seen barns still wearing metal roofs for over 100 years - they might be rusting but it's been a long time and hay stays dry stored in them. Shingles and shakes, not so much, they are labor intensive, expensive, and short lived in comparison. Metal and tile are the long term winners, you don't see suburbanite shingling done on historic mansions. Shingles are one of those things where you get what you pay for, a cheap roof that won't last, and you get to do it again and again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a tin roof on my ranch house, it leaked.  Messed with it for a couple of years and had it replaced with a metal roof from a local contractor.  It leaked.  Contractor would not come out and attempt a fix.  It's a straight gable roof with one angle change on south side.  Called another contractor out and he explained the problem and why the leaks.  First, a metal roof will leak.  Second you need to put down plywood and tarpaper like you do a shingle roof.  that will catch the leaks and run them off the roof instead of into your house.  He replaced my roof with shingles plywood and tarpaper.  NO leaks and the house is cooler and tighter.  I'm going to build a new ranch house next year and there will be no metal roof on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the thickest/heaviest gauge possible to limit hail damage. You will get hail at some point and you don't want your new investment destroyed by minor hail.

If you do get hail damage (dents), expect the adjuster to say "it's cosmetic damage" and your policy doesn't cover that. Your policy covers "damage" and dents are damage. If he disagrees, go kick the door in on his company car and say "what's the big deal it's only "cosmetic damage"
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#25]
We almost went with a metal roof. I originally heard you could put the metal roof over your old shingles. And it would also help with the rain sound.  But apparently I already had too many layers on the house. Adding the metal ontop would be too heavy they said.
   It was about double the price of shingles.  Then I found an outfit that had "50" year shingles! I said yeah right just a gimmick.  He said as long as you have your paper work then the manufacturer will fix or replace and he has seen it done numerous times. He's been around 20 plus years and the shingle company along time. So we took a gamble and went with them.
   So far so good. But who knows. I highly doubt they will last that long.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#26]
You did a tear off for the new "50' year shingles, be right? Per square foot, steel weighs nothing compared to thick shingles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top