Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2017 8:41:35 AM EDT
Identifying and controlling ground-dwelling bees

First and foremost, ground bees are beneficial insects that perform an important role as pollinators.
View Quote
DO GROUND BEES STING?
Female ground bees can sting, but rarely do. Ground bees are not aggressive. However, they will sting in defense if threatened. Males of some species may behave aggressively around nesting areas, but they lack a sting. Sweat bees do have a somewhat startling habit of landing on people to lap up the perspiration from their skin; this behavior is, in fact, why they are called sweat bees.

Should you swat at a sweat bee when it lands on you, it may sting you in self-defense.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Whoops - not GD.  Carry on!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Good article.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a spot where there are a bunch of those every year.

Kinda freaked me out at first but figured out that they were not interested in me.

Here is a video I made of them and their nests

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Bees and wasps are all Hymenoptera, and they all, for that reason, have four wings.

Wasps are Family Vespidae.

There are at least seven families of bees, of which the Family Apidae includes the honeybees.

Common and colloquial terms for such creatures are more confusing than they are informative.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Bumble bees are pretty aggressive and pack one hell of a sting.
It sure is fun to park a brush hog over the top of their nest now that I have cab tractors. I've seen tractors run all day in a field do to big bumblebee nest. Can you imagine raking hay with a bull rake and a team. Then hitting a bumblebee nest?  No Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bumble bees are pretty aggressive and pack one hell of a sting.
It sure is fun to park a brush hog over the top of their nest now that I have cab tractors. I've seen tractors run all day in a field do to big bumblebee nest. Can you imagine raking hay with a bull rake and a team. Then hitting a bumblebee nest?  No Thanks!
View Quote
I've never seen an aggressive bumble bee, but I have never found a bumblebee nest either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay while I don't disagree with the bulk of the article...the whole "rarely" thing for "do ground bees sting"---yeah that's not accurate.

Maybe they say "rarely" because they don't get out much.  

But if you own any land, and actually work that land at all, you know that those bees defend their ground nests aggressively and sometimes without any threat at all other than walking by.

Yellow jackets and bumblebees are ground dwelling bees, and they will sting the CRAP out of anybody who messes with the nest, and sometimes, just because you get near it.  Most people who have burned out bee nests have burned out bumblebee or yellow jacket nests, and they are a serious problem once they get established.   If you own a half acre, maybe not so much, but most folks who farm or have farmed know that ground dwelling bees are serious business.

Just adding in the reality of this whole thing.
View Quote
I've discovered two yellow jacket nests while mowing grass, over the years, and I can say from personal experience that "ground bees seldom sting" is bullshit. They will also chase you for a very impressive distance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You'll know when you do.

They are probably 2x the pain of your standard yellow jacket.

We lifted an old air conditioner pad at a customers house last year and there was a 3'x3' nest under there with what seemed like hundreds of those little fuckers. I got ate up.
View Quote
I just read that a bumblebee nest can have up to 400 bees.

That's a lot of pissed off bumble bees.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Other things that build ground nests are what we call cicada-eaters. They're some sort of wasp, and are ginormous. They don't appear to sting, but do dive-bomb you. It is especially fun to mow the lawn with them in swarms. It took me three years, but they're finally gone (at least from my yard). 

Edit: when did Photobucket go derpy? Blargh. Sorry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#15]
My daughter and I both got stung by ground wasps or hornets whatever there called. Not bumble bees.  But man did it hurt.
  Tried multiple times to kill them. Waited till night time when they all in the ground and filled the thing up with spray. no luck. Was about to pour gas down there and light it lol but then talked to exterminator. Said to use powdered spray. That way it travels down to the best better etc.
   Gave me a can and it worked from what I can tell.  
  I don't care how benificial anything  may be to anything when it comes to the kiddos safety.  Especially an insect.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I have the big Cicada Killer wasps out back. There is a 1/2 or little larger hole in the ground with a pretty good pile of dirt in front of it. They look pretty large like a hornet flying around.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I have the big Cicada Killer wasps out back. There is a 1/2 or little larger hole in the ground with a pretty good pile of dirt in front of it. They look pretty large like a hornet flying around.
View Quote
Pics of the ones we had. The best/most effective way I found to deal with them was to wait until night, when they're dormant, and fill the burrows with foaming ground hornet killer. Then refill the holes that you just treated, so that any new holes in the morning you know need a round of spray. Bengal wasp spray is pretty instantly effective in killing them while they're flying around, but the darned things are so fast that it's hard to hit them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I have some tempo sc and demon wp insectiside. Thought about mixing some of that up but the foaming action might be a better deal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#19]
HobbitWife had some hornets in her work cabin out back. She put water, some essential oil, Wintergreen IIRC, with some Dr Bronner's Soap, in a spray bottle, and sprayed it all around her cabin. It drove them away without harming my bees or her garden.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#21]
My family of five just got clobbered by yellow jackets while hiking this morning. We were on poorly maintained trails not far from the Appalachian. I heard some buzzing a few feet in front of me with my son leading the way. I saw several outing out from a hole in the ground while he was passing by. I quickly grabbed him and my daughter and told my wife to run until we were about a hundred feet away. Luckily our 9 month old got through unscathed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Frank, that's really interesting.  You ought to post that in the beekeeping thread so if I get to do an index at some point, that will be in there.
View Quote
I did, a long time ago. I'll post it again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I was clearing some small trees for a new pole barn and got tore up last week from Bee's
Rarely sting my ass I got about 15 stings before I could get off my seat belt and off the tractor.  I was using my new Grapple and pulled some older dead brush off their nest.
    I will say I'll take 15 bee stings over a bunch of Chiggers bites every time.   Chiggers are painless till you start itching for a week straight
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I rented a little walk behind bush hog toy, if you can run it over this thing will try to chop it up.

So with new sorta clear areas the pups got new places to look.

Cat got the pups to barking but I did not know what started it off til we went and found cat and let it run back to neighbor's yard where it probably won't stay.

Anyway, on way back hit some small 1 inch or so yellow jackets.  Well, they hit us.

Dog did alright, one or two stings but got over it quickly.

I was dang glad I had my shirt tucked in and I wound up going inside to settle with the yellow jackets that were on me.

I won the battle but probably the worst I got stung for a long while.

I wear ear protection when doing stuff with equipment and this made me double glad I wear the ear muff kind. 

Will look around tonight but gonna be hard to find their nest. 

I generally leave things alone unless they are in a high traffic area or are a potential issue like a wasp or hornet nest on a corner of the house.  No I don't need access to the corner of my house a lot but I don't want em on the house. 

These yellow jackets are in an area I will be using more, so yeah they need dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
HobbitWife had some hornets in her work cabin out back. She put water, some essential oil, Wintergreen IIRC, with some Dr Bronner's Soap, in a spray bottle, and sprayed it all around her cabin. It drove them away without harming my bees or her garden.
View Quote
I got the ingredients wrong. Here's the right recipe:

Water, Clove essential oil, cedar essential oil, and an equal amount of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap. Sprayed directly on them will kill them; it works well as a repellent too
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top