Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2017 1:34:30 PM EDT
I live near Atlanta and have a large dog that can squirm under our chain linl fence.

I want to install a dog rated electric fence (electrified wire) at the bottom of the chain linl to give her an anoying shock when she tries to leave.

I have everything that I need for the job but I have a question.

Do I need to keep grass, weeds, ivy etc off of the live wire?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it will discharge to the grass or weeds... got the same problem and solution. Good thing is dogs learned quick.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes it will discharge to the grass or weeds... got the same problem and solution. Good thing is dogs learned quick.
View Quote
Thanks@
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a low impedance charger such as this one from Amazon

Low impedance chargers handle heavy weeds on the wire, they are what I use. It will actually kill vines and weeds that touch it, so it kind of takes care of itself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally got the fence live.  Zelda bumped into it.  Zgirl was not happy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Finally got the fence live.  Zelda bumped into it.  Zgirl was not happy.
View Quote
She will learn to respect that fence quickly 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Z boy dog met the fence this evening.  He's a retriever so I think that he liked itl
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Z boy dog met the fence this evening.  He's a retriever so I think that he liked itl
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a retriever growing up, pretty sure he considered it his mission in life to defeat whatever type of fence he was put behind.  Electric, wood, chain link, didn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL dogs and electric fences. We have 7 acres fenced off for cattle. Each and every dog has learned to respect the fence. When they are new we warn them to stay away but they just have to sniff it or touch and lesson learned.

My brother stopped to visit and brought his dog along, an 8 year old golden retriever. We walked out to look at the cattle and his dog was going nuts when we got close to the fence. Best we can figure is he remembered getting zapped years ago and was doing his best to warn us about it. Good doggy lol.

They are just like kids, you can tell them not to touch something hot, but they will do it anyways and learn something.

ETA OP "weed burner" fencers can handle some weeds, they should kill them and not short out the fence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top