BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How long would it take her to get to civilization from that farm?
View Quote
Define civilization.  Scranton outskirts is an hour.  Closest Walmart is 40 minutes.  Closest grocery store is 20 minutes.  Closest city with more than 1000 people is 30 minutes.  

There's a ton of nice places around here, but what I'm looking for seems to be running around $300-400k within an hour drive.  If I look at 90 minutes away (outside of reasonable commuting distance) the prices drop fast, Zillow shows a number of places $100-250 I'd go look at.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be careful with kids involved.

My parents have a ranch 100 miles SW of Fort Worth, and they were wanting to move out there... until they realized how strange country folks are.  I am not talking about small town folks, or good, hard-working farmers and ranchers, I am talking about crazy-as-hell country ass mofos living out in a trailer on 1/4 of an acre.  For many, there is a reason why they live out in the middle of nowhere, and that is because that they are crazy and have no social skills.  Your kids will be going to school with their kids.

Never forget, out in the country, the only things to do are drink, smoke, snort, and screw.  Don't think for a minute that your kids are going to be out fishing or coyote hunting every friday night.

A conversation with a deputy in a rural county is pretty enlightening.
View Quote
Methbillies!
Oklahoma has a shit load!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd love to move there, but a more feasible course of action would be to buy a rural spot between Nashville and Huntsville, keeping our suburban jail house and have a place within an hour drive.
View Quote

I am in the process of doing exactly that right now. We are buying a small farm that is just about an hour away door to door. We got lucky and found a place that is about 20 minutes outside of a smallish town (has a walmart/a couple grocery stores, etc) so its secluded but not too remote. My wife is very much suburban, but the key for me was finding things there for her that she enjoys and values  (i.e. photography, family time, relaxation). Who knows...maybe when our kids are out of school we may make the move.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Took me 10 years to get her on board...I got 17 acres and a garage...she got a new kitchen and master bathroom and donkeys....we happy.

We both agreed that 30 minutes was the max we could do from a city....I fly a lot and did not want an hour drive when landing at 11pm at night.  She wanted a YMCA with a swimming pool.   We found the 17 acres...slightly out of budget but it put us in the 30 minute window.   

I thank God everyday for my wife!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top