Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 11:54:43 PM EDT
Hello all!

So My house sits on 22 acres, 10-11 of which is cleared, I need a tractor for general mowing and having a bucket-loader would be nice to for various projects.  That being said, mowing will be what it's used for 90+% of the time so if you could also recommend a pull-behind bush hog and what horsepower range I should be looking at for in the tractor, as well as a price range I'd be looking at it'd really be helpful..

I don't know if this will make a difference but I live in the panhandle of Florida, so the ground is more dirt than sand and it's all flat.

Regards
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Budget dictates equipment.

Although a jd 2025 comes to mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Budget dictates equipment.

Although a jd 2025 comes to mind.
View Quote
Would like to keep it at 20k out the door or below though I can go up maybe another 5-7k though I'd have to finance that portion of it..
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You should probably figure how much you want the front end to be able to lift and go from there.

And ease of removal/install is a big consideration unless you plan to leave the loader on. This makes the tractor unwieldy in tight spaces and wears front end components at an accelerated rate.

All that being said, your typical sweet spot will probably be somewhere between 40-60 hp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Take time to look at LS tractors...

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#5]
If you plan on using the loader to haul much get something with 4wd.. nothing sucks more than having a load full of gravel and not being able to move because your ass end is in the air free wheeling..  you could get a ballast box to help level you out though which helps.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I may be a bit biased but...  I would look hard at the new 2017 John Deere 2 series.  Their mid mount mower on this series is the best out there right now if you plan on having to take it on and off.  At the top end of your price range but they have VERY good incentives going on right now.

<-- picking up a new 2032R on Saturday 

Meet the New John Deere 2032R and 2038R Compact Utility Tractors
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to do food plots or decent sized garden I'd look at the 30 to 40hp range to. The looking at what amounts you will be lifting is the best advice here. And I don't know anyone that got a FEL that didn't at least once try to bulldoze with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, I have a similar set up to yours (except I move snow as well in the winter).  I have a 35 horse New Holland with a FEL and am pretty happy with it. I really would not have gone with anything smaller.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly op, to get your money's worth you need 50hp or bigger. Mowing with a small mower takes a lot of time, and trying to clear with a small tractor is pissing in the wind.

If you want to let the grass and brush get a couple feet tall so you only have to mow once or twice a year, you're going to need a real tractor to knock it down and mulch it up.

Before butt hurt commences I have 1023e, 3038e and 5075e John Deere's. and a barn full of others.

10ac is a lot of mowing.

If it was me, I would say skip the 4wd because you won't be loading anywhere near as much as mowing.
Spend the extra loader money on a decent 6' shredder.
You'll need a 45+ hp to run an mx6.

I recommend looking at a John Deere 5045D/E and MX6 mower. Go as big as you want in the 5E class up to 75 HP as budget dictates- you won't regret it.

Attachment Attached File

Im coastal SETX so similar climates. I can let the ragweed and grasses get 10' tall and still mulch them down in a single pass with no problem.

I mow about 15 acres, and wish I had a 10-12' mower. I'll get one soon....
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]
What's the heaviest thing you think you'll be lifting?  How long do you want to spend brush hogging in hours per acre?

ETA Teeli is spot on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the heaviest thing you think you'll be lifting?  How long do you want to spend brush hogging in hours per acre?

ETA Teeli is spot on.
View Quote
And to touch on that the JD's are all loader ready so if you skimp from the get go- don't fret. You can add one at any time easily...

And the 5E series H240's will lift well over a ton with plenty of ballast (with my mower attached I have no issues with a bucket of rocks or dirt which is approx 1.5 cubic yards)
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Would like to keep it at 20k out the door or below though I can go up maybe another 5-7k though I'd have to finance that portion of it..
View Quote
 I am waiting on delivery but I couldn't find a better deal than the Kioti in my neck of the woods.
I picked up a DK5510 4x4 with 72in bucket & teeth( Skid Steer Detach) a third function hydraulic function ( $950)for grapple  for $22,400 OTD   This is a Shuttle Shift model but the HST was maybe $1000 more
So 55hp 3cyl diesel  Cat 2 attachment with a good reputation among mechanics i've spoke with and a Loader with a 2660lbs capacity.      

I already have a mower deck,rotary cutter,scraper blade and boxblade.. I have a heavy duty duel claw wicked root grapple on order ( 6 weeks wait . )
I looked at the JD and Kubotas but I know a few people with the Kioti's and they have been nothing but reliable for them. I don't feel like I give up a think other than resale value.

With my budget I was looking at 35-40hp setups and was thrilled to get a 55hp.  This tractor had been on the lot for about 6months and being that the  shuttle shift is not nearly as popular as the HST I feel like that's why I got a killer deal.  Honestly I prefer Shuttle shift anyway. The HST whine just ruins any relaxation I get from working on a tractor.  

I would take a look at them before you make a decision. The company( Daedong South Korea)  has been around a long time and has made parts and even a few tractors that were in the Kubota line.

Kioti Kubota connection story here http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/09/the-other-orange-tractor-kioti/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top