Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2017 10:01:56 PM EDT
Rural property, densely forested, 20,000 acres nearby burned in forest fire which pushed lots of creatures onto my land.

Lots of western prairie rattlesnakes but they aren’t a big problem, I just have to be real careful about walking and where I put my hands.  They stay in the forest.

Big problem are the western diamondbacks.   The 3-4ft ones are common, front steps, under vehicles, sheds, etc.  I can stay out of their striking range fairly easily.

I am being careful as possible, but Sunday I was next to the garage and backed up almost onto a five footer.   IN MY FUCKING GARAGE.    Biggest damn snake I’ve ever been nose-to-nose with, and a bit of a nasty surprise.    Thankfully this guy had just eaten a few mice and was sluggish.   I went to retrieve my gun and camera but he was gone when I returned.   I’m not sure I can stay out of range of snakes this big and this guy wasn’t afraid of me.

8 large mice bait stations around the property and $100/month in poison disappears fast, but it isn’t putting a dent in the mouse population.   I’m using Tomcat poison.

This property is rapidly becoming a real minefield, with the mines moving around and able to strike on their own.   Nearest hospital is an hour away and no antivenin available.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you priced a Mongoose ?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you need a rattlesnake roundup. 
Sorry I do not know how to get one started. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a rattlesnake roundup. 
Sorry I do not know how to get one started. 
View Quote
That sounds like a bit of a liability issue.   Invite total strangers onto your property to handle pissed off rattlers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you priced a Mongoose ?
View Quote
gonna research that right now.

ETA...

they are considered a wild animal, lots of red tape to buy one, don't thrive in captivity, and    " cobra vs mongoose the mongoose will win. They do not fare as well against snakes considered as vipers; one example is the rattlesnake"
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to the dollar store and buy a crap ton of mothballs.  Spread them around liberally around your house first and than slowly push out..  You have to allow the snakes the ability to leave.  The keep applying a little further out every day until push them back to the wood line.  I recommend to keep pushing about 50 feet into the wood line. Afterward you should just need to reapply on the perimeter of your property, when you don't see the mothball.  I have had good success here in VA.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Invite the boys for a snake hunt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like you need a honey badger.

they dont give a shit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go to the dollar store and buy a crap ton of mothballs.  Spread them around liberally around your house first and than slowly push out..  You have to allow the snakes the ability to leave.  The keep applying a little further out every day until push them back to the wood line.  I recommend to keep pushing about 50 feet into the wood line. Afterward you should just need to reapply on the perimeter of your property, when you don't see the mothball.  I have had good success here in VA.
View Quote
Going 50ft into the wood line will be an area of 3+ acres.  How densely should the mothballs be spread.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
sounds like you need a honey badger.

they dont give a shit.
View Quote
do those make good pets?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

do those make good pets?
View Quote
I think you would become its pet.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Spray gasoline in your immediate area. They will va ate the area. My Dad and I cale started the biggest rattlesnake round up in Texas in the early 60s. 8 FOOTERS were not uncommon nor was catching 500 rattles per day.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Spray gasoline in your immediate area. They will vacte the area. My Dad and my Uncle started the biggest rattlesnake round up in Texas in the early 60s. 8 FOOTERS were not uncommon nor was catching 500 rattles per day.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are in an arid area, control the water source.  The absence of a water supply drives the small critters away.  As you seem to know, snakes frequent an area with a food supply.

BTW,  Western Diamondbacks are the most aggressive of the rattlesnakes.   Once they alert and coil up they seldom back off.   I have had several juveniles advance on ME if I backed off.

From experience..........
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#14]
We use Jaguar and Hawke rat poison in the chicken houses. It comes in five gallon pales. As for the snakes catch and remove.  That's where the round ups are nice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have heard guinea fowl work good at killing snakes.  Snakes are a problem in my area too mostly cotton mouths, killed 5 last year.  Saw biggest water moccasin(cotton mouth)of my life and didn't have the chance to take it out.  

I intend on getting guinea fowl as soon as I return home.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are in an arid area, control the water source.  The absence of a water supply drives the small critters away.  As you seem to know, snakes frequent an area with a food supply.

BTW,  Western Diamondbacks are the most aggressive of the rattlesnakes.   Once they alert and coil up they seldom back off.   I have had several juveniles advance on ME if I backed off.

From experience..........
View Quote
Water is tightly controlled, but the monsoon season has started and that is three months of daily rain.   I have 3 acres of thick cut down brush and trees to clear, and the snakes love this terrain.  

I can deal with the small ones but these big bastards that are aggressive are something else.  
I’m not about to try catching them.   I’ll just shoot them.  But I’m most concerned that one of them will surprise me, like Sunday, and I’ll get bit.   Having to maintain a 4ft safety bubble always around me is really going to make life difficult.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Over here they use peacocks a lot to deal with the snakes.  Can you get a couple of those?

ETA: Where do you live?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#18]
can't speak to removal, but when I was in snake infested Florida land I'd wear snake-proof boots. They also sell them in thigh high boots like waders, but basically kevlar so no fangs get through if you are struck. Might be a worthwhile investment while you work on the other projects?

I'd wear those and carry a 357 with snake shot in addition to whatever I was hunting with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Create an environment conducive to the snakes natural indigenous predator.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Create an environment conducive to the snakes natural indigenous predator.
View Quote
Import some wild hogs if they are not local to you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Import some wild hogs if they are not local to you.
View Quote
Brilliant!

Aside from significantly altering the current environment, I'd invest in a snake hook and tongs and relocate the bastards or turn 'em into a belt/boots. Dealers choice on that one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Over here they use peacocks a lot to deal with the snakes.  Can you get a couple of those?

ETA: Where do you live?
View Quote
Was going to recommend Guineas but same concept.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Aren't roadrunners native to NM?  They kill snakes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife and I carry all the time and we keep a snake shot load in the chamber.
We sprinkle sulfur AKA snake away outside of the doors to prevent surprises.
We also have a large flock of guinea hens peacocks and Heritage Turkeys and they do a real number on the snakes and I haven't seen one in two years and it's all my neighbors complain about.
A few years ago I walked out to harvest a big Tom and he was acting funny as I approached so I studied him and realized he was killing 4 foot rattlesnake all by himself just by smacking it in the head with his wing.
Needless to say he didn't get eaten and his new name is killer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I usually throw one every couple feet.  Go heavy near the house and most trafficked areas, a little less further you go out.  The moth ball smell messes with their scent glands and they can't hunt for food very well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m in the east mountains.
I’ve got roadrunners, wild, not pets.   They eat lizards and maybe infant snakes, but they weigh about one lb and aren’t going to do anything with a 4 -10 lb diamondback, except get eaten themselves.  There are hawks around but they prefer the open prairie for hunting instead of thick brush.   I’m fencing in 2 acres to keep the coyotes out.

A mongoose is not feasible.   Guinea Fowl and turkeys are possible for smaller snakes, but they are additional work to maintain.  I need to determine if my dogs would leave them alone.   I need the dogs and a 9mm carry gun for 2-legged predators.   A neighbor has peacocks, and they screech all day and all night.    I do need my sleep.

Snake boots will help, but I’m often on my hands and knees in the brush and might not see a rattler 2ft away until it is too late.

Mothballs will cost $200 for the initial spread.   Snake-away will run $90.   I still need to determine their effectiveness for the area and weather.   I think gasoline might contaminate the well water.

I’ve got plenty of cottontails, apparently another food source for rattlers, so I’ll start eliminating them with a .22.

I really do appreciate your help.   I’ll update this post with any new developments.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’ve got roadrunners, wild, not pets.   They eat lizards and maybe infant snakes, but they weigh about one lb and aren’t going to do anything with a 4 -10 lb diamondback, except get eaten themselves.  .
View Quote
4'  is average size for an adult Diamondback.  Personally, the biggest I have seen actual was 7'3" with 19 rattles. It was bigger around than the calf of my leg and its' evil head was as wide as a saucer.  

Your Texas velociraptors (roadrunners) are voracious carnivores and will take out a snake up to 2' regularly and with seeming impunity.  You can encourage the roadrunners to stick around with a bit of raw hamburger every day.  After awhile, you can actually call them in for the treat.

One idea WAY OUT THERE........  Had a buddy with a ranch up around Aspermont,TX and his ranch manager was a salty old dog.  He knocked a hole at ground level on an old disused concrete cistern.  About 3' of it was below ground level.  Those dang rattlers would crawl in there during the heating of the day and couldn't get out.  He would get on top of the cistern with a bait casting reel and barbless treble hook and fish those rascals out and put them in a 50 gallon drum.  Once he had a goodly number in there he would screw on the lid and the snake buyer would come pick up the drum and drop off an empty.  A big rattler alive is worth several hundred dollars and he made beer money plus each month.  He had been bitten multiple times over the years and said generally he just took a handful of benadryl and slept it off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I have no experience with a problem of the scale you describe.  But I don't like your story.  It's not nice. 

I dislike reaching down and seeing a snake.  I did some reading about snake repellent, and my conclusion was that sulfur was a significant deterrent to snakes.  Smell or something.  So I buy big bags of sulfur (it's cheap) from the garden place, and whirlybird in circles out from my house, giving extra love/attention to snaky areas. I have some rock walls (tiering on sloped ground) that historically have been a problem.  I sprinkle the sulfur liberally on the surface right at the wall, thinking it will slowly migrate that sulfury tang downward, making things unpleasant.

It seems to be working.  A couple years now without any bad surprises.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ve got roadrunners, wild, not pets.   They eat lizards and maybe infant snakes, but they weigh about one lb and aren’t going to do anything with a 4 -10 lb diamondback, except get eaten themselves.  There are hawks around but they prefer the open prairie for hunting instead of thick brush.   I’m fencing in 2 acres to keep the coyotes out.

A mongoose is not feasible.   Guinea Fowl and turkeys are possible for smaller snakes, but they are additional work to maintain.  I need to determine if my dogs would leave them alone.   I need the dogs and a 9mm carry gun for 2-legged predators.   A neighbor has peacocks, and they screech all day and all night.    I do need my sleep.

Snake boots will help, but I’m often on my hands and knees in the brush and might not see a rattler 2ft away until it is too late.

Mothballs will cost $200 for the initial spread.   Snake-away will run $90.   I still need to determine their effectiveness for the area and weather.   I think gasoline might contaminate the well water.

I’ve got plenty of cottontails, apparently another food source for rattlers, so I’ll start eliminating them with a .22.

I really do appreciate your help.   I’ll update this post with any new developments.

Thanks guys.
View Quote
It's a teritoral thing not a food thing and they kill all sizes and the Guinea Fowl are zero maintenance I do have to add to the flock periodically as horned owls snatch them out of the trees at night. Friends that visit with their dogs have cost me a few as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

4'  is average size for an adult Diamondback.  Personally, the biggest I have seen actual was 7'3" with 19 rattles. It was bigger around than the calf of my leg and its' evil head was as wide as a saucer.  

Your Texas velociraptors (roadrunners) are voracious carnivores and will take out a snake up to 2' regularly and with seeming impunity.  You can encourage the roadrunners to stick around with a bit of raw hamburger every day.  After awhile, you can actually call them in for the treat.

One idea WAY OUT THERE........  Had a buddy with a ranch up around Aspermont,TX and his ranch manager was a salty old dog.  He knocked a hole at ground level on an old disused concrete cistern.  About 3' of it was below ground level.  Those dang rattlers would crawl in there during the heating of the day and couldn't get out.  He would get on top of the cistern with a bait casting reel and barbless treble hook and fish those rascals out and put them in a 50 gallon drum.  Once he had a goodly number in there he would screw on the lid and the snake buyer would come pick up the drum and drop off an empty.  A big rattler alive is worth several hundred dollars and he made beer money plus each month.  He had been bitten multiple times over the years and said generally he just took a handful of benadryl and slept it off.
View Quote
This is what I was thinking.  There are all sorts of videos on youtube about pit traps for snakes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Put some waste oil around sheds etc, under things. I hate snakes. Also saw some youtube videos of a snake trap pvc pipe with sticky traps inside.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is what I was thinking.  There are all sorts of videos on youtube about pit traps for snakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A pit would be cool and multipurpose!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Old wives tail!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Get cats, hogs, and guineas. Snakes don't like things constantly moving. The animals will kill the snakes.
Everything else is an old wives tail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’m fencing in 2 acres to keep the coyotes out.

View Quote
Rabbits are also a major food source for coyotes. Eliminating the rabbits will help with the coyotes too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a dentist friend who had rattlesnakes everywhere.  When you opened the front door you could count on a rattler or two on the porch.  He killed them by the hundreds if not thousands and they are still there, everywhere.  Learn to live with them, snakeboots, chaps, watch where you go and place your hands.  Rattlesnakes do not like animals around and there may be a  food supply around.  Eliminate their food and they may move on.  Hogs are hell on them.  Electric fencing may keep them out of the yard area.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Do the sulphur-based repellents make the property smell like sulphur?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do the sulphur-based repellents make the property smell like sulphur?
View Quote
I have noticed nothing.  I imagine it could, if you put on enough.  But that would be way over recommended spread rates.  You could even have a circular garden with inner rings reeking of sulphur -- in tribute to Dante.

And if you go heavy-handed with it, the pH of the soil could drop.  That could affect smaller plants sensitive to that kind of thing.  But where I live, the soil's alkaline, so a little pH drop just puts it closer to "normal."
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Mongoose by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Have you thought about trapping them and selling the skins?
might was well make a buck off of it...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#42]
look up BarnCats.org  

I know a couple people that have had good luck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Get a couple barn cats.  Snakes only come around due to food, ie. mice and rats (absent of course unusual and temporary conditions such as flooding).

We usually see only one snake a year on my 40 acre farm and typically it's just passing through.  We haven't seen any this year.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Our experience with W Tex diamond backs has led us to primarily depend on barn cats, bags of sulpher (from ag supply or wherever is cheapest) and we do use some mothballs under elevated structures (travel trailer, pier & beam house, or wherever we want to throw them). Some days it seems to work better than others.  If it rains, re-apply the sulfer & moth balls.  Wet sulpher seems to loose its "pop".

Sulpher seems to do pretty good, and does help with other pests, as does the mothballs.  A GOOD barn cat is worth it's weight in gold . . . although I am NOT a fan of house cats, I will fight you to keep a good barn cat!!  LOL. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#46]
About the hogs killing rattlers.  I know I was raised around that same tale of how deadly hogs are on snakes.  But to counter that thought, I hunted a ranch up in Young County for many years and it had two things...feral hogs and rattlesnakes. If hogs killed rattlers on any grand scale, that place would have shown a dent in the snake population. In addition to what you are doing, get a couple of the meanest barn cats you can find.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I always figured poisoning the rodents would subsequently poison the predators (snakes, cats).  You should try and host a round up, try and get them moved back to the burned areas.

Local sports mans clubs might help?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
About the hogs killing rattlers.  I know I was raised around that same tale of how deadly hogs are on snakes.  But to counter that thought, I hunted a ranch up in Young County for many years and it had two things...feral hogs and rattlesnakes. If hogs killed rattlers on any grand scale, that place would have shown a dent in the snake population. In addition to what you are doing, get a couple of the meanest barn cats you can find.
View Quote
Not sure if they will kill them but my pigs love to eat them.  My 11 yo has recently been granted permission to hunt down snakes on our property with his .22 and snake shot and has been making surprising progress.  Copperhead and a water moccasin in the first two weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top