Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 10:17:18 PM EDT
I'm finding myself unenthused growing odds and ends year after year.

Besides salsa or pasta sauce, I can't make a whole recipe from garden grown produce, I want that to change.

- I've had the most success with sweet potatoes, so I'll allocate more space for them, they can be a staple.

- Though it's only my first year, peanuts seem to do well for me. With protein and oil, they can fit into the "staple" category.

- Sunflowers are almost redundant as long as my peanuts do well, but sunflowers always show me success.

Grain/flour is critical. Luckily I'm having marginal success with amaranth and I think I can do much better as I become more familiar with it's needs.

Likewise, buckwheat is something I'm planning to try and it seems to be almost "weed" like, so I have high hopes.

What are you guys seeing as heavy hitters in the "Staples" categories of your garden?

I'm in zone 9 FL by the way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Peppers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, basil -- they should all work for you.  I like pesto, so there is some summer-end processing of all the basil into meal-sized freezer containers.

If I had to pick just one, peppers.  All kinds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean food Staples or what we normally always grow?

Potatoes always, but I keep my own seed taters.

This year is almost all a pea and oat mix for fodder crop.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet corn, tomatoes, apples.

Hopefully in less than 10 years I can add pecans to that list.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#5]
If by staple you mean what does best in our gardens that we always grow, for me that would be cauliflower and broccoli.  Those do extremely well for me over the winter and I preserve excess by vacuum sealing and freezing.

I also grow a lot of carrots which I preserve the same way and use along with the cauliflower and broccoli to make vegetable medley throughout the year.

Sweet peppers and jalapenos are some of my most abundant summer and fall crops.  I chop up and freeze the sweet peppers and can the jalapenos.

If you mean staple in the traditional sense, I haven't really gotten that dialed in yet but I'm trying to get better at growing regular potatoes as well as sweet potatoes.

I also want to start experimenting with growing my own field corn.  Sunflowers do fine for me but I don't really eat them so I don't grow them much.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Potatoes, green beans, corn, tomatoes, banana peppers, green peppers, onions, cukes and squash. Guaranteed these will be in my garden every year. This year there is one row of each. I played with cantaloupes, watermelons, sweet potatoes, pumpkins but never to any great extent. We use to have a strawberry patch but I plowed that under because strawberries are so cheap these days.

We can the beans and I've found my potatoes do real good being stored in the burlap sacks that Tractor Supply sells.

We chop up the onions and peppers and a large portion goes into our tomatoe juice that we can, the rest is in the freezer for usage throughout the year.

Corn gets blanched then cut from the cob and put into pint bags. Wife seals them in gallon freezer bags for storage.

Going to try to freeze some squash this year. Lightly blanch the whole piece, slice it about 1/4" thick, put the pieces on a cookie sheet to freeze them, then  vacuum seal.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Kale grows throughout the entire zone 4 (warm and cool weather) season.  We use if for:

smoothies
breakfast (thrown in the cast iron along with eggs an bacon)
salads
sandwich greens
nocarb tortilla sandwich wrap replacements

It grows like a weed, is cold hardy, doesn't need a lot of water, and is basically no maintenance since the spreading leaves block out the weeds.

It's my favorite garden vegetable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
We grow onion sand potatoes with vigor. Wife has tons of spices in pots around the pool. Usual batch of tomatoes every year.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input, there have been a few ideas here that in the past I've dismissed.

Have any of you guys in the South tried growing sugar cane, or the northern guys tried sugar beets?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Down here it's sorghum.  In the deeper south they may be able to do actual sugar cane.

I grew up messing with sorghum and making molasses.
View Quote
I've seen cultivars such as "sugar sweet" or "sugar drip". Is this a viable *don't care about time intensity* crop to derive a sweetener from? Are there any YouTube videos in particular that show a basic method to get a molasses end product?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out Deep South Homestead on YouTube for small scale sugar cane and syrup production.

He has videos on growing sugar cane, refurbishing an old mill (and powering it with a lawn tractor), and boiling down the juice to make syrup.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Cassava

Yams

Sweet potatoes

Seminole pumpkins - this is year 1 for me on this one
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Green beans.
All kinds.  We eat a ton of them, easy to grow, long growing season, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Asparagus.
Potatoes.
Tomatoes.

Never could grow corn well.

Home garden / time / interest / energy don't make it worth while to plant, tend, and harvest my own grains.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Every year we plant Tomatoes, green beans. cukes, beets for canning and winter eating.

We also pick something that we want to try to see if we can grow.  This year it's carrots.  They are doing OK, but not as well as I was hoping for.

We tried corn a few years ago, but the output for what we did wasn't worth the space in the garden.  It's better for us to go to the local farmers market or road side stand to get corn and can it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet potato has almost become a nuisance in my garden since it grows and spreads everywhere.

Carrots grow easy as do beans and sugar snap peas.  Mixed results with leafy greens except for arugula.  Kabocha pumkin also does well.

Feral sugar cane is quite common around here and I've been tempted to plant a small stand along my fenceline.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Tomatoes, okra, various herbs (mint, oregano, basil, thyme, and dill), green onions, peppers, and garlic are in the ground every year regardless of whatever else goes on.  If I hadn't been so preoccupied with my son being born I would have beets and fennel this year too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top