Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2017 6:03:03 PM EDT
Hey all, my fiancé (I'm the man, she's the woman) wants a zero radius mower.  She loves them and wants to mow the lawn when we buy a house soon.  I grew up mowing and have zero problems letting her do it!!  We'll be looking at something pretty low powered I figure but would love some advice from ya'll with experience on horsepower and brands.  

Is any brand better than the next these days?  Is 20HP vs 45HP a giant difference with 1/4 to 1/2 acre of grass?

Take me to school, in a nice way.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of good brands out there.  Not sure how much you are wanting to spend.  

Hustler
Exmark
Bad Boy
Kubota
John Deere
Gravely
Dixon
Ariens

For that size yard I would look pretty hard at a Hustler Raptor personally.  Kawasaki seems to be the go to engine these days.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hustler owner here. I have a fastrak, but in your case Id look at the Raptor with the Kawasaki motor
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Scag with a Kawasaki engine and love it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a out 12 hours on my Gravely. Researching here for a few months. Kawasaki motor, 3100 series hydro and at least 7 gauge welded deck where my criteria.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys I'll take a look at those hustlers for sure!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Things I try to look at when buying

Professional quality
Parts Availability - Dont want to have to drive 2 hours for parts
Construction- Welded vs stamped deck greaseable bearings etc
What do the local business run
resale value
What engine is in the machine I would avoid anything that is stamped B&S
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#7]
O.P, look for a dealer near you that sells,

Feris
Scag
Gravely
Grass Hopper
Exmark
Dixie Chopper
Hustler
Bad Boy

Also read up on 2800/3100/3200/3800 EZT hydro gears. I picked the 3100 series for a minimum
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Zero turn for 1/2 an acre? Way overkill.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zero turn for 1/2 an acre? Way overkill.
View Quote
It might be overkill, but in this case, if his wife is willing to mow IF he gets a zero-turn then he better be lookin' for zero-turn.

FWIW, I have a zero turn and mow about an acre or slightly less. I got a good deal on it and I'm SO glad I bought it. The amount of time it saves me is incredible. I can mow my acre in 15-20 minutes.

OP, as far as power. I have a commercial Exmark with 66" deck and 27 hp Kohler engine. The only time I feel that it's underpowered is if I'm going uphill at full-speed (~10 mph) and the grass is wet or extra tall. Other than that it just eats the grass and begs for me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought one a month and a half ago for this .5 acre yard even though I said I wouldn't.  Husqvarna 46".  Actually fairly impressed with its construction, and it's fine for an acre or two.  It has the 20 hp v-twin B&S, but was $400 less than the one at the hardware store with the 23 hp Kawasaki.  If it breaks, I'll buy a new engine I guess.  I can mow the entire yard in 30 minutes and get tight enough around all the trees, garden, landscaping, fence, etc that weed eating only takes less than 30 minutes.

Oh, and my wife said she would mow the lawn if I bought a new lawn mower, too.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Plus, the OP doesn't have a yard yet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#12]
OP buy the mower you want, even if it's more than you actually "need".  It's worth it in my opinion.

We bought way more mower than we actually "need" but don't regret it one bit.  Mow about 2 acres, had a 52" Cub Cadet rider that took 5+ hours to mow everything.  It took me two week nights because I would run out of daylight after work.  We bought a $10k commercial ZTR and the last time I mowed I put 1.8 hours on the Hobbs meter.  Worth every penny, even the wife agrees.

Before

Attachment Attached File

After 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP buy the mower you want, even if it's more than you actually "need".  It's worth it in my opinion.

We bought way more mower than we actually "need" but don't regret it one bit.  Mow about 2 acres, had a 52" Cub Cadet rider that took 5+ hours to mow everything.  It took me two week nights because I would run out of daylight after work.  We bought a $10k commercial ZTR and the last time I mowed I put 1.8 hours on the Hobbs meter.  Worth every penny, even the wife agrees.

Before

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6204-239827.JPG

After 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG-6232-239826.JPG
View Quote
What he said ^^^ You'll never regret it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top