Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2017 12:30:10 PM EDT
I need a coop for up to 50 hens. I should only have about 35 come next summer, but I want a little extra room. 

I'm going to start drawing out my ideas to post later, but here are the requirements:
  • external egg collection. I'm abandoning my walk-in coop. Too much money to make a people sized coop for that many birds. Going to convert my current walk-in coop to a fodder growing house since its very well insulated for year round fodder growing.
  • has to be good for 95 and humid and -25 below with a -60 wind chill. Year round MN coop.
  • water will be available inside and outside, year round. So, I need room for a heated setup and chicken nipples on PVC on the inside. I may try to insulate and heat the PVC with heat tape, making one system work year round. Otherwise (and more likely) I need room for a couple buckets with heaters.
  • must clean out from outside, into a wagon. This will be an elevated coop. I want the walls on hinges or easily removable. Basically, there should be NO reason to go inside, ever.
  • I envision long and rectangular, 4 feet wide MAX, probably less to match hardware cloth.
  • I need maximum ventilation for summer, and (probably removable) sides/floor for winter. I figure summer will be hardware cloth for the floor and one wall, and a plywood sandwich (plywood/foam insulation/plywood) installed in winter to close it up.
  • I need to keep it cheap as possible obviously, and I will likely try to use as many salvaged components as possible, namely steel roofing I have access to for free.
  • needs to be big enough should I need to leave them inside for a few days at a time.
I currently have 12 chickens (down from 13, one was murdered last night), just ordered 25 more. I have so much egg demand, I need to ramp up production or I loose customers 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Another idea is following the principals of the  Woods Open air coop.  He wrote a book titled "Fresh Air Poultry Houses" back in the 20's which is still applicable today.

My woods style is 8x12 and houses 15 hens.  The original woods is 24x24 and able to house up to 150 in a healthy environment.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another idea is following the principals of the  Woods Open air coop.  He wrote a book titled "Fresh Air Poultry Houses" back in the 20's which is still applicable today.

My woods style is 8x12 and houses 15 hens.  The original woods is 24x24 and able to house up to 150 in a healthy environment.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/IMG_0078_zpskzhfpedq.jpg
View Quote
How do your birds stand up to Idaho winters in that coop? I'm assuming that is your pic..

Purchased that book BTW. I'll give it a read, but I like what I see in the preview.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm up in the panhandle about 30 miles south of Canada.  Winter temps can get pretty low.  

None of my birds have gotten any frozen combs or other temperature related issues.  

The only thing I do in the winter is put a normal light bulb in to keep egg production up and an aquarium heater in their 5 gallon water bucket.

I believe the fresh air actually promotes good health.

ETA and yes that is my coop.  Over at BYC (back yard chickens) are some good examples of Wood's style coops and construction steps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm up in the panhandle about 30 miles south of Canada.  Winter temps can get pretty low.  

None of my birds have gotten any frozen combs or other temperature related issues.  

The only thing I do in the winter is put a normal light bulb in to keep egg production up and an aquarium heater in their 5 gallon water bucket.

I believe the fresh air actually promotes good health.

ETA and yes that is my coop.  Over at BYC (back yard chickens) are some good examples of Wood's style coops and construction steps.
View Quote
That is a lot more screen than I would figure the hens can take. You don't cover any of that up? Does wind become an issue? I'm amazed/confused at the lack of wind chill protection 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The coup is facing south, the winds in this area come from the north and the west generally.  I don't cover anything up.

Behind the front screen is play sand mixed with diatomaceous earth, they like to roll in it, gets rid of the possibility of mites, the rest of the floor is shavings so I'm doing the deep litter method.  Twice a year I muck it all out into the compost pile.

One of Wood's primary points is the escape of stale air, the screen at the top gets rid of that and fresh air comes in the front.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
When I built the floor to separate the sand from litter I used a 2x4 on edge with some scrap pieces on either side at the ends.  That way I can slide the 2x4 up and out of the way when it's time to renew it.

As far as questions ask away, I'm no expert but my birds seem to be happy so I must be doing something right.

ETA  Prince Woods book Open air chicken coops is online, after a quick look it seems all the text is there.
Woods open air coop
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
So here is my first idea. Taking a lot of inspiration from the book referenced above, but making it more to my scale and budget.

I figured a video tour of a virtual coop was the easiest way to show you my idea.

Designing a new coop! Needs to house 35+ laying hens.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How tall is the inside at the peak? about 5 feet

Also, you started to talk about that sweep thingy.  What is that and how does it work installed on the short end? That is another perch, lower than the first. I attached it to the door in the modeling program, so it swings with the door. Unless you mean the coop clean out tool I mentioned, that will be basically a roof rake, which is a pole with a flat piece at the end that is good for pulling snow off a roof, or chicken bedding from a coop.

My suggestion (only from experience and former reading, as you've been reading recently too so you may know something I don't) is to offer different levels of perches if you can.  This allows for the lower hens in the pecking order to get away from the top hens and still roost instead of ending up sleeping on the floor.  I think having to sleep on the floor makes chickens unhappy, and of course, I think the well being of the whole chicken is important all the way around for health and production (and hey, good kharma) .  Three levels is ideal, even if one isn't up very high. I plan on at least two levels of perches

I might be inclined to put my roosts/perches perpendicular to the way I think you're describing, and put some at each end of the coop.  (looks like you'll be using the back gate for cleanout?)  This would also help them be able to be smaller and still take the weight of the chickens without bowing as badly (and without a support in the middle, maybe.   A high and a low across each end, maybe.  This might interfere with your end doors, of course, so I don't know what you have in mind for that.

I do not suggest metal perches in a cold winter climate. I like to use 2x4s, but with the 3.5" side up for them to sit on. That means their entire food is covered when they sit down, reduces frostbite on the toes. The top of the nesting boxes may be clad in aluminum to help keep poop and chickens off.

I like a shingle roof but that's mostly because I can build that myself.  Your skylights sound like a very good idea. Albeit expensive.

Do you light your chickens at all in the winter to keep them laying? Or do you let them take the break? I have done both. Depends how many eggs I need. If demand stays high, I will be installing an LED shop light in there to keep them going. I don't prefer running the girls that hard, but other than burning them out a bit early, I've seen no ill-effects doing such.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a link to a thread I made on mine in backyard chickens. Here

I'm north of you, Iirc, and it works for me
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to buy supplies for the coop probably tonight, and I need to decide on a flooring. 

Going with the 'more air is better' idea, I was thinking of making at least most (and under the roosts) of the floor hardware cloth. It would allow massive air circulation during the summer, drying out all manure (preventing nasties from building up and keeping the area smelling good with zero cost for bedding), and in winter I can slide in some plywood and use regular wood shavings for bedding. 

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

2 X 4s with the flat side for the perch side is what I like, too.  Hard enough to hit a perch in the air in a dark coop without it being a tiny little thing or round.

But will you support them in the middle?  I took it as them spanning the 16' length of your coop.

I'm not saying I think the birds will bring them down.  Might slide toward the middle a bit....put a camera in there and post up some chicken comedy.
View Quote
The egg boxes won't actually span the entire coop, that would be too many. I will have a gap in the middle which is where the food/water will probably go, with an access door for easy feeding/winter watering. But yes, I will most definitely have to give supports to the roosting board.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My plan is half and half. 

The half under the perches being 1/2" hardware cloth. This will get converted to regular wood shavings in winter.

The half where the sandbox is being solid of course. 

Yes, I did already buy supplies, just got back actually!

My plan for scraping the hardware cloth involves a stout (heavy) piece of metal on a pole. Just dragging the metal along the hardware cloth *should* get everything to drop through or get pulled into the wagon, collection system of some sort, or something...

Not planning on any supports under the hardware cloth section of floor, so no beams for shit to get stuck on.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a kit!

Attachment Attached File

I'll probably go back to my other thread now, only 3 pages in this forum and I don't need to close them up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#21]
It may not be for everyone, but I built my coop with no floor, and on skids.

Once or twice a year, I use my bobcat to slide it a few feet to a new location, and then I can use the bobcat bucket to scoop up the litter and manure and put it on the garden.

I basically have two spots where I keep it, and I just keep moving it back and forth.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
With no floor, how do you keep the predators from having a late chicken dinner every night?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It may not be for everyone, but I built my coop with no floor, and on skids.

Once or twice a year, I use my bobcat to slide it a few feet to a new location, and then I can use the bobcat bucket to scoop up the litter and manure and put it on the garden.

I basically have two spots where I keep it, and I just keep moving it back and forth.
With no floor, how do you keep the predators from having a late chicken dinner every night?
It sits essentially flat on the ground.  I suppose a weasel could get in somewhere but I have never seen a weasel around here.

We have a good dog that immediately kills any varmint she sees.  

I suppose a raccoon could dig underneath but I have the coop itself resting on some native cut locust boards, perhaps that dissuades them from trying to tunnel underneath.

We haven't lost one to a predator yet, excluding my brother's stupid dog that killed one when he brought it over here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top