Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 1:16:37 PM EDT
I finally had the chance to use my Champion 3100 Watt inverter generator this past week at the farm.  I picked up this Generator when Walmart had them on sale and I had a 10% off coupon from Walmart so with tax and free delivery to store it ended up costing me just under $600.  It's the Champion model 75531i.  

I had previously broke-in the generator by running it for 1 hour and then changing the oil.  Then ran it for 4 hours and changed the oil again.  Finally I ran it for 5 hours and did a final oil change at home. I used standard Valvoline 10W-30 oil.  I plan on using full synthetic 10W-30 oil for all future changes.  

Friday night I started the generator and ran my portable a/c in the camper.  The portable 8000btu a/c requires 1,500 watts to start the compressor and runs at 900 watts.  I filled up the gas tank to full (1.5gal) and ran the generator in economy mode after first 10 minutes and the a/c compressor had started running.  The full tank of gas lasted for 7 hours running just the a/c.  So from Friday night to Sunday afternoon (total of about 40 hours) the generator ran non-stop except every 6-7 hours to fill the gas tank.  The noise level was low as expected for a inverter type generator and was pretty close to sound level of 3000 watt Honda.  When we were outside the noise level was low enough that we didn't have to raise our voice to talk and when inside the camper the generator sound couldn't be heard above the sound of a/c.  It's starts every easy and never took more than 2 pulls to start.

For now I'm very happy with this generator and I'm considering getting another one for keeping at home in case of emergency.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had previously broke-in the generator by running it for 1 hour and then changing the oil.  Then ran it for 4 hours and changed the oil again.  Finally I ran it for 5 hours and did a final oil change at home. I used standard Valvoline 10W-30 oil.  I plan on using full synthetic 10W-30 oil for all future changes.  
View Quote

Why did you do that for break in (3 changes in the first 10 hours)?  My instructions said to run it for the 5 hour break-in on the oil that comes with it, then change the oil.  That's what I did, then I filled it up with Mobil 1 synthetic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why did you do that for break in (3 changes in the first 10 hours)?  My instructions said to run it for the 5 hour break-in on the oil that comes with it, then change the oil.  That's what I did, then I filled it up with Mobil 1 synthetic.
View Quote
Combination of old habit and letting my kid try it out.
I've always changed the oil in combustion engine after just very short period of time.  On my cars I've always changed the oil after 300-500 miles...on generators or other 4 stroke engines I usually do it after just first 1 hour or maybe 2 hours.  I changed it again after 4 hours to follow the instruction in the manual...change oil after 5 hours.  Then my 11 y/o son wanted to try it so I taught him how to start the generator.  He started the generator couple times and then I let him pressure clean the patio and sidewalk with the electric pressure cleaner hooked up to the generator.  All together he ran it for maybe 3 1/2 hours but there was some gas left in the tank so I let it run until it ran out of gas.  Then I taught my son how to change the oil...very simple and quick the way it was designed.  I had an open bottle of conventional 10W-30 oil so I just used that to fill it up.  I believe the manufacturer said to change the oil between 50-100 hours so I'll change it next time I go to the farm with full synthetic Mobile 1 10W30.  I installed a hour meter on it so I'll keep track of hours between oil change.    

I didn't want to take the generator to the farm with gas in it as it would have to sit in the back seat for the drive due to other stuff I was taking up took up the space in the back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the dual fuel propane/gas one, and mine has only ever seen propane.  I don't have to worry with running the gas out.... its gas for emergencies only.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top