Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2017 12:03:29 PM EDT
This looks to be a really nice batch for a first cut.  It would have been ideal a week ago but the weather wasn't cooperating. This weekend it is and it still looks really nice and I've been really happy with this field.  The perfect horse blend and weed free.  Love it. Should make around 1500 small squares and it is all sold already at a premium (wholesale) price.    Anybody else making hay this weekend?

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice man, looks great, time to roll it over.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This looks to be a really nice batch for a first cut.
edit
   Anybody else making hay this weekend?
View Quote
I wish, but us old, beat-up guys haz a hard time of it any more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good!  What did you cut it with?  I miss my days doing custom hay.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good!  What did you cut it with?  I miss my days doing custom hay.
View Quote
Not me! If I had $100.00 for every time I heard my field is clean.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ha!  I miss not really having to think.  The job was pretty relaxing.  Don't miss the pay though . Current job is a bit more mentally taxing but pays a lot better 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't personally but I saw a whole lot of farmers making hay yesterday.

Just curious, if you don't mind my asking, how much can you get roughly for small bales per acre these days?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
The neighbors are getting ready for their first cutting.

I will have to remember to stop feeding the cat so she can get into mousing mode for the inevitable mouse attack on the house.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ha!  I miss not really having to think.  The job was pretty relaxing.  Don't miss the pay though . Current job is a bit more mentally taxing but pays a lot better 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your forgetting about everyone wanting theirs done at the same time. Or part's runs all over the country for being stupid enough to have different brands of equipment. It's bad enough doing my own. And now that I silage wrap that just adds to the work load. I really need a field wrapper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Put up 40 tightly wrapped 4x5 bales of mixed fescue and rye. Had perfect weather for it here in Kentucky.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for sharing.  Nothing like the first cutting of the season.  My dad used to call that the "butter hay", since that first, more tender cutting produced the best milk and butter.  May have been all in our heads, but it is still a great idea.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
We put 300 4X4 round bales out of 360 of our first cutting into hayledge. It smells like candy right now. Crab grass is looking good for the second cutting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I just purchased 100 6x5 round bales of last year fertilized coastal for about half what I would pay for this years hay.  Trying to cut corners where  I can.  It's clean and shedded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Can those of you that make hay explain the process for those of us that don't have any experience with it?  If this is too much of a thread jack then never mind, but I think it fits.

Some questions I have are:

What kind of equipment do you use?

Do you use a tedder?

Do you use a swather/windrower and if so why did you decide on that instead of tractor pulled implements?

What kind of hay do you make and why?

Do you make hay to feed your own animals or to sell to other livestock operations?

If you make hay for your own animals, how does it fit into your feeding program?

How many cuts do you get a year?

How many tons per acre do you average from each cut?

If you sell your hay, what kind of price per acre per cut do you usually get?  What's considered a good price and a bad price?

How often do hay fields need to be reseeded?

Do you make small squares, big squares or round bales?  Round bales and small squares are the only ones I've ever seen, so how big is a big square and why aren't they more popular?

Why do you make the bale type you do?

How long does hay stay good for if it is stored out of the weather?

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We cut and baled about 50 round bales last week.  Was moving them Saturday and it started pouring rain.... had the last 5 on the hay trailer and got the truck and trailer stuck in the middle of the hay field. Had to dump the bales and then used the tractor to pull out truck/trailer.

I was telling my boys how easy they have it now.... when I was their age, my summer job was hauling square bales for various ranchers around town......

nothing more depressing as a teen as driving into a field and seeing square bales on the ground for as far as the eye can see and knowing you had to man handle those SOBs at least 2x before you were done...

Still, some of the best memories of my youth...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Finished my whole first crop in June and was lucky to avoid frequent rains to do so.  Made twice as many bales this year as last year or the year before (both were very dry years).
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can those of you that make hay explain the process for those of us that don't have any experience with it?  If this is too much of a thread jack then never mind, but I think it fits.

The process is pretty straight forward, but the timing is sometimes tricky.  Wait for the ground to be ready - around here after the snow pack melts we have very muddy soil for awhile and driving on it will tear up the field.  Wait until the weather is such that you aren't getting really heavy dew every night.  These two factors usually mean you can't start haying here until June.  At that point, the grass will be ready.  However, June is typically a wet month and so the rain may not allow for haying.  The forecasts can change daily, so sometimes you just need to have faith and go cut.  If you wait and let the grass go until July it will be past its prime and you'll lose quality.  

When you think you have a 3-4 day dry spell, cut the hay on day 1 after the dew has cooked off.  when I was just using a sickle bar, I would run the tedder over it the same day to fluff it up to dry better so it isn't all just laying flat.  Now, I use a mower conditioner which crimps and drops the hay in a slightly elevated way.  On day 2 after the morning dew has dried I run the tedder over it.  On day 3 after the dew has dried I'll rake it into rows and start baling if it is dry enough.  If it has been cool and the grass is still a little too moist I leave it to dry for a third day.  

Some questions I have are:

What kind of equipment do you use?

Ford 3000 tractor, JD 7' sickle bar mower conditioner, Fransgard 11' wide tedder (can also rake), JD 9' side delivery rake, IH small square baler.

Do you use a tedder?

Yes.  

Do you use a swather/windrower and if so why did you decide on that instead of tractor pulled implements?

No.

What kind of hay do you make and why?

Timothy/clover/fescue mix with a little alfalfa in there.  The animals like it and it grows well.

Do you make hay to feed your own animals or to sell to other livestock operations?

Feed my own and sell surplus (if I have any).

If you make hay for your own animals, how does it fit into your feeding program?

It is their primary food source.  I only supplement a little with grain and/or vitamins.

How many cuts do you get a year?

Usually two.  Last year I only cut once because it was so dry that the second crop wouldn't have made much hay.  I just pastured the animals on the fields instead.

How many tons per acre do you average from each cut?

Varies a lot with the weather.  First cut this year made 80 bales per acre and I'd put the average weight around 60# per bale.  Better than last year or the year before.

If you sell your hay, what kind of price per acre per cut do you usually get?  What's considered a good price and a bad price?

Around here, first cut picked up in the field goes from $4 per bale to $5.50 per bale.  Second crop will be a dollar more per bale.  If buying it out of someone's barn you'll pay an extra 25 cents per bale.

How often do hay fields need to be reseeded?

If they are kept up (cut frequently, fertilized and weeds are kept down) they can produce a good crop for many, many, many years.  

Do you make small squares, big squares or round bales?  Round bales and small squares are the only ones I've ever seen, so how big is a big square and why aren't they more popular?

Small squares.

Why do you make the bale type you do?

Easy to handle and store in the barn and that is the type of equipment I have.

How long does hay stay good for if it is stored out of the weather?

The older it gets the more the animals seem to waste.  About the oldest hay I've fed mine is, maybe, 18 months.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top