Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 6:17:41 PM EDT
Or, I won't come over, ever.
Rocky Mountain fever sucks.
only two times in my life I have ever had to take narcotics, once when I was a little kid and had a torqued testicle and had to have surgery to correct it, and just this last week to control the headaches from RMSF.
We used to have a huge tick problem on our farm, then we got Guinea's went from picking 10+ ticks a day off the dogs to less than 1 a year. I went over to neighbors house to help him out, bam, tick bite. Just got the call today from the doctor confirming it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes my neighbors used to come down every late afternoon to eat bugs and then roost in my maple trees at night.  Never pulled a tick off the dog.  They are noisy to maintain their social contact with one a another as an FYI.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer is simple. More guineas and fire.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
A guinea is the only fowl that will stand beside of a road for hours waiting on a car to run across the road in front of it. They make great watch dogs, no one will ever sneak up on you with them around.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I let my layers free range. Almost as good.

Had guinea hens before, kept roosting on the kid's swing set.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
We got some for the first time this year. They are always very loud, and sometimes erupt in a ruckus and I can't figure out why. No intruders that I can see or hear. Oh well. They seem happy and love to roost more than chickens do.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
From the title, I thought you were talking about Italians.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We got some for the first time this year. They are always very loud, and sometimes erupt in a ruckus and I can't figure out why. No intruders that I can see or hear. Oh well. They seem happy and love to roost more than chickens do.
View Quote
Our main birds are on their third season now and they aren't nearly as vocal...I think the loud ones are the first ones the wild critters find
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
How well do they hold up in hot and dry environs?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How well do they hold up in hot and dry environs?
View Quote
That's where they are from.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's where they are from.
View Quote
They're from a hot and typically wet place. I'd assume they'd do fine with shade and water.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have to worry about foxes with fully grown guineas?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you have to worry about foxes with fully grown guineas?
View Quote
Yep, if the go broody they don't roost and foxes scoop them up PDQ.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They're from a hot and typically wet place. I'd assume they'd do fine with shade and water.
View Quote
Where are you finding this info? Southwest Africa ain't wet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Got four of them this spring, had them in the chicken house for awhile so they would stick around... mink broke in and killed two right off and wounded the other two.  One later died because of its wounds and the other recovered... at my dads place out of the mink's reach.

Been wiped out by mink's three times now.  After the first two attacks I caught one and gave him a super sonic sleeping pill so I thought we were done.  Now I am done with this chicken house.

Neighbors have a huge chicken confinement that I think is drawing these POS's in.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where are you finding this info? Southwest Africa ain't wet.
View Quote
Most species- including the most common- hail from West and Central Africa. A couple others originated in East Africa- Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia. Mostly hot and humid.

Back on topic: How well do they stack up to chickens- meat quality, ease of defeathering, egg-laying, supplemental feed requirements, etc...?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guinea story...

So...uxb and I....we rented in a little "four-in-a box" house just outside of town when we were first married. Rent was about $100 a month. No lie. Owner had blue-ribbon cattle running around, and wanted somebody who knew how to shut the gate and call him if there was an issue. That would be me. (Uxb was a city boy turned spec ops.)

It was the Disneyworld of farms.  White barns, black fences, cute Jersey cattle roaming the fields.  (This was the dry cows.  The dairy was a few miles away near the owner's home.)  Every weekend the owner would load up some heifers, haul the off, and come back a few days later with a bunch of blue ribbons attached to halters.

He had a big flock of guineas.

So...they got into this pattern.

They'd come by the bedroom window about 5 in the morning, and raise a ruckus. (Doesn't take much. Guinea fowl raise a ruckus if a gnat flies across the yard.)  

Uxb was working at a hospital and on call a lot.  We were both tired.  Five in the morning on a Saturday was NOT a good time to wake us up.

Keep in mind, there were no other houses in sight.  This little rent house was in the middle of the green fields of the farm, and about 200 yards off the road.  We had no curtains because we didn't need curtains.  There was nobody to see in the house.

So here we are, in bed, snoozing on a Saturday morning.

Uxb was...ahem..well....sleeping in his birthday suit.

Here come the guineas for about the fifth day in a row, and he was well and truly done with that racket.

He jumps out of bed, grabs his pillow, and runs through the house and out the front door and into the yard, buck nekkid, waving the pillow at the guineas, scattering them all over, yelling "Aaaaahhhhh!!!!  Shut the F*** up already!!!"

At that exact moment, a helicopter flew across the field directly in front of him, about a hundred yards off the ground.

Uxb could see the shocked face of the pilot.  

Yeah.

Guineas make a lot of noise.  
View Quote
Tell me he seized the opportunity to make this appropriate:

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Most species- including the most common- hail from West and Central Africa. A couple others originated in East Africa- Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia. Mostly hot and humid.

Back on topic: How well do they stack up to chickens- meat quality, ease of defeathering, egg-laying, supplemental feed requirements, etc...?
View Quote
The only lay seasonally for us so I wouldn't use them as egg layers.  They also have really small eggs but they taste fine.

We throw ours some corn every day to keep them close to the house and keep them tame but I don't think you have to if you didn't want too...as long as there are sufficient bugs/critters for them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The only lay seasonally for us so I wouldn't use them as egg layers.  They also have really small eggs but they taste fine.

We throw ours some corn every day to keep them close to the house and keep them tame but I don't think you have to if you didn't want too...as long as there are sufficient bugs/critters for them.
View Quote
We have plenty of critters for their enjoyment. Sounds like chickens might be a better fit for my purposes, though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We have plenty of critters for their enjoyment. Sounds like chickens might be a better fit for my purposes, though.
View Quote
After having both, I should mention that the chickens won't be near as efficient as bug slayers as the guinea hens.

Make sure you get a heritage breed chicken known for good foraging for maximum bug eating carnage.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#24]
We raised 6 up from babies.  Only two males made it to adulthood. They tried to take over our flock of chickens from the rooster.  They were relocated. They didn't coexist very well with our chickens so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
After having both, I should mention that the chickens won't be near as efficient as bug slayers as the guinea hens.

Make sure you get a heritage breed chicken known for good foraging for maximum bug eating carnage.
View Quote
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Guineas make a lot of noise.  
View Quote
I'm surprised that flock of guineas survived contact with an enraged uxb.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]
we have lots of guineas running around the yard and the woods. I like them. I have 60 more in the incubator right now. I have not got to add any to my flock this year because everybody around here wants to buy some this year, so keets go as fast as I hatch them.
Mine mingle and live in a chicken house very peaceably with my wifes chickens. They all free range during the day. I can call them in with a dinner bell i ring on the front porch. They come running fast when i ring it. Trained guineas! We don't have ticks too much.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top