Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2017 11:06:09 PM EDT
We're remodeling a house in the country, we have electricity to the house and to the metal shop.  I have a Simply Safe system in the shop with a cell phone card that can make a call to the sheriff.

We'd like a camera on the shop pointed to the house, any suggestions?  We won't have wifi for a few months. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I once set up a Belkin Netcam at a vacant house that was for sale and had already seen a break-in. I borrowed a MiFi device from someone, added it to my cellular account, plugged it in in the house, which gave me a cellular-based Wifi basically. Then I just set up the Belkin using that Wifi and would get emailed pictures when motion was detected. I could also go in through the app and view the camera with audio live feed.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7D7601/

It was a nice setup and gave everyone peace of mind. Only thing was sometimes the audio on the live feed had strange sounds. I think maybe it was picking up kids playing out in the street or something, and possibly also picked up and distorted sounds from the hot water heat in the house. Once I checked the live feed from work after I had an email with pics and I was hearing a banging noise for quite some time. I watched for quite a while, eventually called the police, explained the situation that there was previously a break-in and I was hearing something unusual. Just asked if someone was available if they could drive by and check it out. Ended up actually being an officer I know well who went, there was nothing there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice option for in the house but I need something outside to watch the building materials - I wasn't clear on that in the original post, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I was thinking it could be pointed out a window, but I don't know what the situation is like there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a metal shop with no buildings but it has electricity.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Cellular hot spot
Netgear Alro camera system

Probably the least expensive way. You can also get motion alerts. If the hotspot isn't an option, then I'm going to guess trailcams. Without some form of communication you'll just be collecting evidence
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#6]
There are multiple trail cameras out that use cellular service. It can instantly text/email pics or video to your phone if motion is detected. I know there are cameras to work on both Verizon and AT&T networks. Unsure of other networks. I'd think that'd be your best option.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top