Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 8:27:26 PM EDT
That won't break the bank. I want somthing in the 17-20 foot range that'll handle 2 flags on a good gusty day. Only thing I can find locally is a 20 kit at lowes for $120.00
Things about as thick as a coke can. Any suggestions, experiences, ext?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That won't break the bank. I want somthing in the 17-20 foot range that'll handle 2 flags on a good gusty day. Only thing I can find locally is a 20 kit at lowes for $120.00
Things about as thick as a coke can. Any suggestions, experiences, ext?
View Quote

try Kronberg's Flags and Flagpoles, Houston.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are in LA, a joint of 2 3/8" tubing should be easy to come by.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at DIY flagpole options with readily available materials & ran across a recommended build at a site that sells flagpoles & replacement hardware.  It consisted of  10' lengths of 2", 1.5" & 1.25" galvanized pipe.  At home depot that is about $100 or so.  Overlap nested pipe by 1' & weld or bolt (stonger than using threaded adapter).  The site sells parts like the "truck" fitting that holds the pulley at the top of the pole, etc.  They also describe a pivot base that would permit folding the pole over if needed.  The resulting product is 25 - 27 feet tall.

https://anchorflagpole.com/how-to-build-flagpole-i-32.html

Nick
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what your budget is, but I have one of these and its going on 8 years old and still looks great. I replaced the little plastic ball on top as it got faded by the sun. If a storm rolls in its easy to drop to the lowest point and then re raise when weather is gone. Its survived plenty of storms with me forgetting about it as well
Uncommon USA
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are in LA, a joint of 2 3/8" tubing should be easy to come by.
View Quote
This is a 38' joint of 2-3/8" OD CS40/DQ40 structural tubing inside of a 24' joint 2-7/8" OD Schedule 40 pipe.  Both of these are available from wholesale fence supplies.
Quality cantilever gate builders use the 2-3/8" structural tube for the top and bottoms of their gates.  It has a higher carbon content than Schedule 40 pipe and flexes more before bending.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
2 3/8" - you mean drill stem pipe. I don't know that's the actual use, but that's what we called it. Shit is practically laying around. I've even seen it on Craigslist.

Makes a hell of a flag pole and security light pole at my dad's house.

Fixing to cut up a bunch to make fences.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 20' flag/pole kit 6 yrs. ago from a fence contractor.  Not sure why fence people have access to flag kits but it has been trouble free with a US and a Gadsten flag in all kinds of wind.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#8]
you guys grounding the pole?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top