Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 10:12:57 PM EDT
We bought a new place this winter and now that it is mowing season we have some wet areas that I can't get my zero turn to.  Ideally would like to have some dirtwork done and improve the drainage as the two sides of our property slope towards the middle and that is the wet area.  However, I am assuming that would be big money without the equipment or experience to do it myself.

I am looking at options to keep the soggy areas trimmed.  Options I have thought about are either a pull behind mower on an ATV just getting a blade for a trimmer and doing it like that.  Area is approximately an acre.

I would like to have a tractor but that is out of the price range for now as well.

Any options I am overlooking?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into renting goats?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Spray it or weed eat it. But an acre sounds like a good spot for a pond.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Not knowing how much land we're talking, I'd try to get in there if/when it's dry enough to mow and then spray it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#6]
It's roughly an acre that splits our property in half.  On one side we have a drainage culvert from the neighbors and on the other a pond that is the neighbors.  At some point we would like to dig a pond and connect it with the next door one but that is not in the budget right now.

I'm battling both low lying areas and a high water table so it will probably be August before I can get in an mow it.  Since the water table is so high my thought of making a ditch to direct the flow instead of it spreading out like it does now will not work as well as I had hoped.

Our first goal is to get a shop built so we have some place to store equipment and vehicles and then the next item would be the pond.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]
rent a ditch witch and run a 3 inch underground tile from the wet spot to the culvert.

Make sure it stays on grade, if you have dips up and down, the low spots will fill in with soil and you will soon have a 1/2 inch tile.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Could try to get someone to run a subsoiler through there to break up the hardpan and make it soak in faster. Might not work but worth a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top