Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2017 6:55:40 PM EDT
Not sure if I'll swing it this fall, or next spring, but I'm looking to pick up a used tractor for my houselot. I've been renting one a couple times a year for the past 3 or 4 years now. It has usually been a Terramite T5. It has a very good backhoe, but is 2wd and is pretty light. Overall, I made it work for me, but I think I need something a little larger. I typically have 100-200 yds of fill/gravel/loam delivered every year and dig up and move about the same from on-site.

My biggest question is do I want what I consider a "farm" tractor like Kubota or Green JD, or am I looking for a "construction" tractor like a larger Terramite or TLB or the yellow JD/Case tractors?

I do a lot of backhoe work to dig up stumps, large rocks, and to dig up soil to be moved. I also move and spread a lot of dirt. Given my terrain and the weather I use it in, I do think 4wd is a must for me.

I really don't need any attachments that I can think of. Not going to dig post holes, not going to mow, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to beat a Kubota, the backhoe puts you in a whole different class, price etc. Lots of used ones around, seems like the best ones come out of Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep renting. You don't use it enough to own one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Skidsteer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep renting. You don't use it enough to own one.
View Quote
I only do what I do every year because I can't afford more. Renting that stuff is pretty expensive around here. Like $800 for 3 days. If I had my own, I'd use it most weekends. I have 10.5 acres I'm clearing, leveling, and planting trees on. Possibly acquiring a much larger adjoining lot also. I'd also save a few thousand $$ a year by digging my own stuff instead of having a few hundred yards delivered.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy a used JD or Kubota. They are on Craigslist. I just bought a 2006 JD870 with a backhoe for $15,000. Its the 3rd tractor I have owned. They last forever and require just a little maintenance. You can often sell them for more than u paid.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buy a used JD or Kubota. They are on Craigslist. I just bought a 2006 JD870 with a backhoe for $15,000. Its the 3rd tractor I have owned. They last forever and require just a little maintenance. You can often sell them for more than u paid.
View Quote
You can usually get some stuff with it.  I like my John Deere.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd look at (in no particular order) John Deere, Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland, Massey Ferguson

Don't buy any gray market tractors no matter how cheap you get them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
a 50-60HP John Deere, Kubota, or New Holland with a backhoe and other attachments as you see fit, will do everything and more than you need without being too little or too big..

I've used plenty of tractors these sized between the makes. I personally believe Kubota probably gives you the best bang for the buck, but the JD and the NH had nicer features as a constant between the same year model makes.

Hydrostatic is awesome for loader work, but a real power robber for things like running a brush hog/mower. Keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Folks, thanks for the answers and info so far, I appreciate it, but nobody has touched on my actual question. Farm type tractor or construction type tractor?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Folks, thanks for the answers and info so far, I appreciate it, but nobody has touched on my actual question. Farm type tractor or construction type tractor?
View Quote
Construction. If you aren't going to use implements on the 3PH it does you no good. Although, probably, a healthy median would be a 50-75 HP Cat1/2 Farm tractor with a factory backhoe attachment, 4wd and loaded tires.
that way, when you realize all the shit you can do with a 3 point hitch and attachments, you won't be stuck with a retarded yellow backhoe and be back on arfcom asking what farm tractor to buy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Based off of me previous reply, even though I didn't spell it out.  

Farm style for sure. You want it for more than working a construction site, and because of that the farm style is the only style to choose.

-You seem to want a multi use tractor/loader with digging capabilities.  Nothing does that better than a sub compact tractor in the 50hp range with a backhoe attachment.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Construction. If you aren't going to use implements on the 3PH it does you no good. Although, probably, a healthy median would be a 50-75 HP Cat1/2 Farm tractor with a factory backhoe attachment, 4wd and loaded tires.
that way, when you realize all the shit you can do with a 3 point hitch and attachments, you won't be stuck with a retarded yellow backhoe and be back on arfcom asking what farm tractor to buy.
View Quote
I can't see myself needing any implements other than a backhoe or perhaps add-on forks for receiving an engine or transmission or something from a delivery truck. I don't "farm", I just drop trees, haul the wood, dig out the stumps and rocks, and plant fruit and nut trees instead. I move dirt around to make roads, paths, and landscape features. If I owned one, I'd probably use it a few times a winter to move snowbanks that get too tall from my regular plowing. Also, the few farm tractors I've run have seemed pretty slow compared even to the puny little Terramite. I sometimes move dirt quite a distance.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did; skidsteer. 

You are moving material, digging. That is not a tractor job, its a skidsteer job. I would get a skidsteer and hoe attachment. We have that setup at the farm, its slick. 

Right tool for the right job.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe ask in here op:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/681719_Show-me-what-you-used-your-tractor-for-today--pic-thread-.html

My suggestion is Ag style with backhoe. You'll regret not having a 3 point and pto lif you go with a commercial setup. Stick with brand name, green, red, orange, whatever, You are going to have it a long time and you want to have parts and support available for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did; skidsteer. 

You are moving material, digging. That is not a tractor job, its a skidsteer job. I would get a skidsteer and hoe attachment. We have that setup at the farm, its slick. 

View Quote
That is interesting. I've used a basic Bobcat before. Didn't know they had backhoe attachments. I do more backhoe work than hauling material, do they work well? How much do they tear up what your driving on? That usually isn't a problem for me, but sometimes I haul mulch to trees that have already had landscaping done around them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did; skidsteer. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did; skidsteer. 

X2 on the skidsteer less clutch wear better hydraulic seals and a whole range of attachments to rent. I have broken plenty of loaders on farm tractors. Plus if you get time off in the winter you can make good money clearing snow. And they make a firewood processor. Small tractors are handy if you want a small garden.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is interesting. I've used a basic Bobcat before. Didn't know they had backhoe attachments. I do more backhoe work than hauling material, do they work well? How much do they tear up what your driving on? That usually isn't a problem for me, but sometimes I haul mulch to trees that have already had landscaping done around them.
View Quote
They work well, can dig down to about 8 feet. 

They will tear up what you are driving on if you spin around in circles and such. All 4 wheels drive, no diff, so they are extremely difficult to get stuck (you can use the bucket to push yourself out of the mud), but doing turns on grass will leave your mark. If you drive straight in, dump, back straight out (or very gentle turns), it will be no worse than your tractor. 

I would rent a bobcat with a loader attachment, see if you like it. For what you are describing for what you need to do, anything less would be a compromise IMHO. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I would think that a skidsteer would be a better fit than a industrial backhoe, or a tractor with a backhoe attachment.  In one of your last posts you mentioned building roads.  Those roads will eventually need maintained.  A skidsteer or tractor with blade will work better for that task than a backhoe.  

I'm not an expert, but here is my unprofessional breakdown: skidsteer is superior in any kind of bucket work, the backhoe attachment is very usable; industrial backhoe is superior for backhoe work, pretty decent for bucket work; ag tractors give you lots of options for ag attachments (that you say you don't need), are better than nothing for bucket work and ok for hoe work.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#19]
OP says he uses the BH a lot. The advantage of a skidsteer is not enough to justify having to swap it in/out every time he wants to use a BH. A tractor with a FEL will work just fine and you can easily switch to BH work when needed.  I have 22 acres with rough terrain and even my little BX25 does pretty much all I need.  It just takes a bit longer than a larger tractor, but the larger ones would not fit it the areas I need it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
How about you buy a used backhoe, use it till you are done, then sell it and buy a agricultural tractor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The small John Deere tractors are called "compact utility tractors". I haven't looked at one side by side with a construction grade model, but they are lower slung. Construction grade model is probably gonna lift more than the compact version, but all that comes at a price.

We bought a JD 4066 4x4 with loader and backhoe for $45k new.

We sold the 15 year old 4000 series with loader and backhoe for $15k.

The 4066 is the turbo version, 66hp, it's a beast for its size.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
OP,

Something like a Kubota B26TLB (JD definitely makes something similar, probably several others do too) will fit your stated use case very well.

It's an 'industrial' machine, meaning tougher and heavier than an 'agriculture' machine but also has full 3pt functionality if you need it later.

On the subject of a backhoe, any tractor that does not have a dedicated subframe to mount the backhoe on should be avoided like the aids.

Some backhoe attachments work with the 3pt, this over-stresses and eventually breaks some very expensive parts of the 3-pt system.  Run away from this.  Seriously, run.

Skid loaders have been mentioned, and they are awesome if you need/want one.  However, they will rip the hell out of the land if that matters to you, and if you get a tracked unit, the tracks/undercarriage is not cheap when maintenance time rolls around.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How about you buy a used backhoe, use it till you are done, then sell it and buy a agricultural tractor.
View Quote
Because I do both at the same time. I have backhoed up 25-30 yards of soil, rock, stumps, etc., and while doing that, hauled it to the screen to clean it up, then taken the processed soil to where I want it. Rinse, repeat. Sometimes I have 4 hours to work, sometimes I have 16.

Ideally, I'd have a loader, a mini excavator, and a small dump truck or at least dump trailer. A dozer would be nice too, lots easier than leveling by backdragging a bucket. Not gonna happen that way though, simply can't afford it. This is the stuff I do to unwind from being an inpatient psych nurse, not something I make money at. Acre by acre I'm building my retirement property to be the way I want it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP says he uses the BH a lot. The advantage of a skidsteer is not enough to justify having to swap it in/out every time he wants to use a BH. A tractor with a FEL will work just fine and you can easily switch to BH work when needed.  I have 22 acres with rough terrain and even my little BX25 does pretty much all I need.  It just takes a bit longer than a larger tractor, but the larger ones would not fit it the areas I need it.
View Quote
I think I'm agreeing with this. I need the ability to use both the backhoe to dig up stuff, and the bucket to move it as I go. Basically at the same time. Hoe a little, bucket it away. In some places, I've hoed up a path 8 ft wide, then turned around and bucketed the material out and leveled it to work my way through a 15ft tall hill, making my roadway as I work. That is the kind of stuff I do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think I'm agreeing with this. I need the ability to use both the backhoe to dig up stuff, and the bucket to move it as I go. Basically at the same time. Hoe a little, bucket it away. In some places, I've hoed up a path 8 ft wide, then turned around and bucketed the material out and leveled it to work my way through a 15ft tall hill, making my roadway as I work. That is the kind of stuff I do.
View Quote
With that said, sounds like you need a dedicated industrial backhoe.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that is where I'm leaning. I am starting to like the Kubota TLB that was mentioned. I've done everything so far with a Terramite that is just 20hp. Its pretty limited in some ways, but the backhoe works great and the loader is sufficient. Just a little too light and only 2wd. I just don't have any experience with something like a 40hp farm tractor to compare it to.

In looking locally, I can find decent used Kubota or JD TLB for between 16-22K$. That is more $$ that an equivalent range farm tractor, but I think its more suited to my needs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think that is where I'm leaning. I am starting to like the Kubota TLB that was mentioned. I've done everything so far with a Terramite that is just 20hp. Its pretty limited in some ways, but the backhoe works great and the loader is sufficient. Just a little too light and only 2wd. I just don't have any experience with something like a 40hp farm tractor to compare it to.

In looking locally, I can find decent used Kubota or JD TLB for between 16-22K$. That is more $ that an equivalent range farm tractor, but I think its more suited to my needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In looking locally, I can find decent used Kubota or JD TLB for between 16-22K$. That is more $ that an equivalent range farm tractor, but I think its more suited to my needs.
Trust me when I say skidsteer they are designed to work dirt. A Farm tractor Is designed To use 3pt equipment. That 20hp toy is a waste of valuable time. I would rent a 60hp or larger skidsteer and see what I could get done. I can move 100 tons of chicken litter and pile it in a day with my 60hp skidsteer. But that's not carrying it that's slot pushing it 500 feet down the chicken houses. But I have 30 years of experience running equipment. I can almost do 2/3's of that with a 60hp JD 5400 but turning it kills me. The skidsteer is perpetual motion. Which I get the part of vegging out on the tractor is therapy. Plus if you get to large a bucket and don't balance out and ag tractor they get unstable. Sure a skidsteer does to but you're in a good cab vs  open station rops.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because I do both at the same time. I have backhoed up 25-30 yards of soil, rock, stumps, etc., and while doing that, hauled it to the screen to clean it up, then taken the processed soil to where I want it. Rinse, repeat. Sometimes I have 4 hours to work, sometimes I have 16.

Ideally, I'd have a loader, a mini excavator, and a small dump truck or at least dump trailer. A dozer would be nice too, lots easier than leveling by backdragging a bucket. Not gonna happen that way though, simply can't afford it. This is the stuff I do to unwind from being an inpatient psych nurse, not something I make money at. Acre by acre I'm building my retirement property to be the way I want it.
View Quote
You can't do that list of demands with one piece of equipment as you seem to understand. Everything is a compromise. A true industrial backhoe will work circles around even the Kubota that you are leaning toward.  

Buy it, use it till you are done then sell it and buy a tractor with a loader and finish it up. You'll be able to sell the backhoe for likely what you paid for it.

Alternatively, buy a regular tractor with a loader and rent a mini excavator when you need a specific digging need.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#29]
OP: If you are digging out soil just to haul it for screening, how deep are you going, and how big of rocks? You could skip the backhoe part and just dig with the skidsteer. New skidsteers can change buckets in under a minute (if the operator does his part) so you can switch from a dirt bucket to a rock bucket and do some of the screening right there. Digging with a hoe is SLOW.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#30]
But seriously, whatever you THINK you want, go rent it and try it. Ideally, you would also rent an experienced operator for equipment you aren't really good at using. Skidsteer is a good example of experience makes ALL the difference. You watch an experienced skidsteer operator work, its almost like watching a choreographed dance competition. Fluid movement.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking the same.   Plan your needed jobs out.  Do them.  Make sure you're done and sell it.  If you buy right and don't break anything it won't cost you much.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#32]
One argument to buy new is 0% financing (at least with Kubota).  Depending on how you invest your money, you can actually save money buying new.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You watch an experienced skidsteer operator work, its almost like watching a choreographed dance competition. Fluid movement.
View Quote
Truth.  Watching an inexperienced operator is a little painful, but it doesn't take very long to get pretty good on a skidsteer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can't do that list of demands with one piece of equipment as you seem to understand. Everything is a compromise. A true industrial backhoe will work circles around even the Kubota that you are leaning toward.  

Buy it, use it till you are done then sell it and buy a tractor with a loader and finish it up. You'll be able to sell the backhoe for likely what you paid for it.

Alternatively, buy a regular tractor with a loader and rent a mini excavator when you need a specific digging need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my problem, my digging need is constant. I'm literally clearing heavy, sometimes old-growth forest. With lots of large rocks, hills, gulleys, etc. scattered around. Turning that rough forest into comparatively flat ground, with packed driveway/pathway. This is a do as you go thing. I can't use the loader without using the backhoe, but I can't do much with just a backhoe unless I have a loader right there too. I like the obvious benefits of skidsteer, but I think the swapping out gear for tasks 10-20 times a day would be counter productive. I might use the backhoe for 10-20 minutes, then its loader time for a while.

I certainly get that I'm shooting for a "nothing is great at what it does" compromise, but I can't rent an excavator every day just to use my loader, etc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP: If you are digging out soil just to haul it for screening, how deep are you going, and how big of rocks? You could skip the backhoe part and just dig with the skidsteer. New skidsteers can change buckets in under a minute (if the operator does his part) so you can switch from a dirt bucket to a rock bucket and do some of the screening right there. Digging with a hoe is SLOW.
View Quote
"Deep" isn't always the right term. I'm in an old glacial valley with some bedrock ridges. Some hills gain 20' elevation over 50-100 feet some gulleys lose the same. I'm often taking these hills down to level-ish and using it as fill elsewhere. Rocks range from lots of little 3-8" rocks in every bucket full to frequent 2-4 foot diameter rocks. Some hills are almost all gravel packed in clay. Plenty of 6-8 foot rocks too, way to heavy to actually lift up or move significantly, but I can dig deep holes next to them then topple them in and fill over them, if they can't be where they are.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That is my problem, my digging need is constant. I'm literally clearing heavy, sometimes old-growth forest. With lots of large rocks, hills, gulleys, etc. scattered around. Turning that rough forest into comparatively flat ground, with packed driveway/pathway. This is a do as you go thing. I can't use the loader without using the backhoe, but I can't do much with just a backhoe unless I have a loader right there too. I like the obvious benefits of skidsteer, but I think the swapping out gear for tasks 10-20 times a day would be counter productive. I might use the backhoe for 10-20 minutes, then its loader time for a while.

I certainly get that I'm shooting for a "nothing is great at what it does" compromise, but I can't rent an excavator every day just to use my loader, etc. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/thumbnails/IMG-0770-212290-thumb.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly get that I'm shooting for a "nothing is great at what it does" compromise, but I can't rent an excavator every day just to use my loader, etc. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/thumbnails/IMG-0770-212290-thumb.JPG
Less than a minute to swap out equipment with my skidsteer. Just push the unlock button unhook the bucket. Then drive over hook up new piece without leaving the cab and push the button again.  Kill the skidsteer rock the hydraulic valve to relieve pressure. Then hook hoses. Or you can get a stump remover and not have to worry about the backhoe attachment. Swap equipment without leaving the cab. Or you could bite the bullet and rent a dozer to get it done right and then get a tractor and box blade to maintain.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"Deep" isn't always the right term. I'm in an old glacial valley with some bedrock ridges. Some hills gain 20' elevation over 50-100 feet some gulleys lose the same. I'm often taking these hills down to level-ish and using it as fill elsewhere. Rocks range from lots of little 3-8" rocks in every bucket full to frequent 2-4 foot diameter rocks. Some hills are almost all gravel packed in clay. Plenty of 6-8 foot rocks too, way to heavy to actually lift up or move significantly, but I can dig deep holes next to them then topple them in and fill over them, if they can't be where they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn that sounds to big for my 450 JD dozer.

I have dug out some pretty good sized rocks with the rock grabber and I love it for stacking brush and chewing the dirt off of root ball's. Stumps don't burn to good with the dirt ball. And it's a pita to get rid of the root ball with the dozer. I have a 3pt backhoe attachment that has sit for 5 years now. It's a bush hog brand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then from your description of your needs, you should buy a used industrial backhoe. Case backhoes seem to be the standard all others are judged on. It'll do everything you need. Sell when you are done and you should recoup most if not all of what you spent.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Damn that sounds to big for my 450 JD dozer. http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p590/Sparkydv/Hay%20and%20Farm%20Equipment/20150609_150807_zpsvrbae6c1.jpg
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p590/Sparkydv/Hay%20and%20Farm%20Equipment/20150609_150754_zpsnq3wgya8.jpghttp://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p590/Sparkydv/Hay%20and%20Farm%20Equipment/20170223_165406_zpsqthm1wyt.jpg
I have dug out some pretty good sized rocks with the rock grabber and I love it for stacking brush and chewing the dirt off of root ball's. Stumps don't burn to good with the dirt ball. And it's a pita to get rid of the root ball with the dozer. I have a 3pt backhoe attachment that has sit for 5 years now. It's a bush hog brand.
View Quote
Yeah, the guy that did the original house lot here couldn't do much with his D4 and rented something frigging huge to clear and level the 1.5 acres. Still had trouble because you can't really tell what is true bedrock sticking up vs big loose chunks. He also ended up bringing a very large excavator up to dig holes large enough to tip boulders into and put one of those rock chisels on it to break up bedrock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Less than a minute to swap out equipment with my skidsteer. Just push the unlock button unhook the bucket. Then drive over hook up new piece without leaving the cab and push the button again.  Kill the skidsteer rock the hydraulic valve to relieve pressure. Then hook hoses. Or you can get a stump remover and not have to worry about the backhoe attachment. Swap equipment without leaving the cab. Or you could bite the bullet and rent a dozer to get it done right and then get a tractor and box blade to maintain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its very hard to rent industrial equipment here for short term, at least during the warmer months, its all spoken for by construction companies. Doesn't help that I don't really want to pay a few hundred bucks just for delivery and pickup, but I'm going to try to get one late fall this year to give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

With a skidsteer you can also get a tree spade attachment.

I don't know about sizes and availability to rent, etc, but it sounds like a tree spade might be useful to you.
View Quote
Not sure if that would work for a lot of what I've run into. This is very rocky. Most of the 2-4 ft thick trees I've dug out so far have their roots under or entangled with very large rocks once I get below the surface. I often have to dig trenches to roll the rocks into to be able to get the stumps out. PITA. I took out a 40" white pine last week (while I had the Terramite) and ended up using 10 yards of fill because the rootball and rocks I got rid of were so huge. Its a good thing I don't usually need to actually get rid of the stumps, just make them flush. This one was just right in the middle of the path I was building and had bedrock on both sides, so I had no choice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Op I don't think your going to get done what you want done without hiring some professional grade equipment.  I think you will be money in the bank to buy a compact 40hp or there abouts size tractor for maintaining what the professional operators can fix.

I Googledon't the Terramite.  I would be scared of that thing it looks like it is to light to handle a ton of white pine. My skidsteer is only rated at 1750 pounds of lift. My 90hp tractor is rated at 2200 pounds. I think a 100hp backhoe is rated at 2500 pounds but I'm not 100% sure. Now they have higher break out force.

I change my vote to hire a contractor. ..
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
A true commercial rated TLB, not just a tractor with a loader and backhoe, is going to out perform and be more resilient to the stresses of operation.

That being said, it really depends on what you plan to ask of your equipment. If i were a contractor using it 5 days a week, I'd get a true TLB.

Homeowner working it 4 good days a month? Probably just fine with the stock loader and backhoe attachments.

ETA: I just read the entire thread, OP.... get the biggest true TLB you can afford. Rent a Dozer when your TLB runs out of muscle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Op I don't think your going to get done what you want done without hiring some professional grade equipment.  I think you will be money in the bank to buy a compact 40hp or there abouts size tractor for maintaining what the professional operators can fix.

I Googledon't the Terramite.  I would be scared of that thing it looks like it is to light to handle a ton of white pine. My skidsteer is only rated at 1750 pounds of lift. My 90hp tractor is rated at 2200 pounds. I think a 100hp backhoe is rated at 2500 pounds but I'm not 100% sure. Now they have higher break out force.

I change my vote to hire a contractor. ..
View Quote
Oh, I'll get it done. I just have to be careful and it takes time. Even with the little 20hp gas engine Terramite, I've accomplished everything I've wanted so far, its just VERY slow at times with that little loader. Hell, I have even worked out my method for moving 8ft diameter rocks. The big trees are very slow, but  I don't do them whole, I fell them and section them and move them around with my truck and a log arch when I'm not renting the terramite.

I don't mind it taking 10 years. I really enjoy doing the work. It is my relaxation. I'm just looking for a step up from the terramite and its about time to own something so I have it here all the time. I've got about $18k available for whatever I buy. By next spring, I'll have more. Not looking to go into debt for a hobby.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh no...you wouldn't use the tree spade for tree removal of anything you don't want to re-transplant.  And a spade big enough to move a very large tree would require a big loader or even a dedicated truck.  I assumed you might be digging and moving the smaller trees you intend to keep.  The spade would be useful for planting B&B stock--digging the hole, etc, and moving any that you want moved.  But not in the ground you've just described.

I don't know what you're actually doing on the property but it sounded like you were taking out forest to plant rows of trees.  The more you talk about it--the rocks and such-- the more it sounds like you are trying for something that requires pretty large equipment.
View Quote
Ahh, gotcha. Nope, don't need that for anything much. I'm dropping forest trees and replacing them with fruit, nut, and ornamentals. The few natural trees that I move and replant I just do by hand and usually pot/ball them for a season or so. Mostly very small stuff that I want to turn into shrubs. I enjoy working with those, don't really have an urge to speed it up or mechanize it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Slow going with the little 20hp Terramite, but it gets done. Looking forward to renting a skidsteer this fall to check it out. Still looking at TLBs though. 40hp series seem to be in my price range used. I did see a 75 (78?) hp TLB this weekend in reasonable shape for $25k. That would be in my price range by spring if I can find another.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/yard1-213769.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/yard2-213770.jpg

Slow going with the little 20hp Terramite, but it gets done. Looking forward to renting a skidsteer this fall to check it out. Still looking at TLBs though. 40hp series seem to be in my price range used. I did see a 75 (78?) hp TLB this weekend in reasonable shape for $25k. That would be in my price range by spring if I can find another.
View Quote
OP when you said "old growth" I thought of trees you couldn't reach around. How many acres? I don't see anything that my 450 couldn't handle. I seen a few rocks that would give a skidsteer some problems but nothing that a 75hp hoe wouldn't take care of. You could probably resale the backhoe for most of what you put in it later for a compact tractor. A chainsaw and a brush grabber through the week would take care of most of what I see. Then rent a stump grinder over the weekend.  A backhoe with a clamshell bucket would work awesome from what I see. Have you tried to sell the moss rocks? People buy them down here. A mini excavator and a chainsaw would also take care of a lot of what I see. I would subscribe to the Fast line equipment advertising magazine and watch for a decent sale item.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP when you said "old growth" I thought of trees you couldn't reach around. How many acres? I don't see anything that my 450 couldn't handle. I seen a few rocks that would give a skidsteer some problems but nothing that a 75hp hoe wouldn't take care of. You could probably resale the backhoe for most of what you put in it later for a compact tractor. A chainsaw and a brush grabber through the week would take care of most of what I see. Then rent a stump grinder over the weekend.  A backhoe with a clamshell bucket would work awesome from what I see. Have you tried to sell the moss rocks? People buy them down here. A mini excavator and a chainsaw would also take care of a lot of what I see. I would subscribe to the Fast line equipment advertising magazine and watch for a decent sale item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/yard1-213769.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/247651/yard2-213770.jpg

Oh, I have plenty of those. 40-50" through is common, some are larger but I'm not moving those as they make nice stands. Mostly white pine and poplar, but a couple ancient white oak and maple.

Right now I have a bit over 10 acres, but it looks like I'm likely to trade about an acre of road frontage to one of my neighbors for 7 acres out back where I prefer the land and he has no use for it. Also looking at buying a contiguous 10 acre lot on the other side. Sounds like about $7500.00 plus I pay my own survey and the transfer fees. That lot is about half 20" or larger maple, so I'll get at least that amount of $$ worth of firewood off it, and still have it fairly heavily forested with white pine, spruce, and some cedar in the small boggy area. And a couple hundred feet on a small brook trout stream.

Given what I've accomplished with a little Terramite, I think a 40hp TLP will do 95% of what I want to do, but there are things I think the skidsteer would be wonderful for. I can't wait to rent one and give it a try this fall.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top