Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 1:12:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine seems to run OK, but I haven't had it long.  I've had several issues with 2 cycles over the past few years though.  When I had my cousin put the 3rd carb on my 6 year old Stihl weedeater, I asked him WTH I was doing wrong (I was already using ethanol free gas).  He suggested storing all my two cycles in the off season with the Stihl premix in them.  Knock on wood, it's been working for the past few years.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
My first weed eater when we bought this property was the cheapest thing I could find new: a Remington brand. Yeah...

Exact same issues as you have. Probably the same cheap engine . Constantly floods, can't get it going (I had to use starter fluid every time), touch throttle; it died. I messed with the carb enough that I could hold the throttle wide open with a zip tie, start it with starter fluid, and let the thing wind the entire time. 

For my birthday a few years ago, family/friends pitched in and got me a Stihl FS90? weed eater. The two handled version that takes attachments. 

Take it out of winter storage, gas up and its running in 3 pulls. It starts up and runs beautifully EVERY SINGLE TIME. Wonderful machine.

Quality equipment is worth more than its price tag.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Toy-Built?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Mantis 2 cycle at a yardsale a few years back.

Guy said he couldn't get it run consistently.

$10 and it was mine along with the edger attachment.

I also had a hard time getting it running and ended up getting the carb, filters, plug and fuel lines from Amazon.

Think that was around $25- $30.

15 mins later the thing runs like a champ.

My favorite tool in the shed...going to get the thatcher attachment for fall overseeding the lawn.

It is still finicky in the starting process but basically if it hasn't been run pull the choke out and pull until it just catches..push the choke in and it should start on the next pull with the choke in...pretty much have it down to a science now.

Also try to run 89 no ethanol fuel in it...if none is local bite the bullet and get the canned mix fuel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one of those damn things 5 or 6 years ago and I hate it with a passion, Same problems the OP had every freakin' time I tried to use it. It's just sitting in the barn this year and I don't plan to ever use it again.

I'd really like to find the asshat that designed this thing and shove it up his ass sideways and then waterboard the sumbitch with a 5 gallon can of 50:1 mix.

I have seen other brands that now offer small tillers with 4 stroke engines. If I ever buy another one it will be a 4 stroke model and it sure as hell won't be a Mantis.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Learn to rebuild your carburetors... This new gas is Hell on carburetors I had to rebuild a couple this year. If you look they usually have a brand and a model number. Then a quick search will get you a kit for around ten bucks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn to rebuild your carburetors... This new gas is Hell on carburetors I had to rebuild a couple this year. If you look they usually have a brand and a model number. Then a quick search will get you a kit for around ten bucks.
View Quote
   Then apparently my Mantis needed the carb rebuilt when it was brand new out of the box.   It has been rebuilt a couple of times over the years and it was still as hard to start and throttle as ever.

Never stored with fuel in it either, Always used non-ethanol fuel. No problems with my chainsaw, weed trimmer, lawn mowers, chipper shredder etc.

Just the Mantis.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I try to run mine almost out of gas before winter, and add new fresh gas in spring.  IDK WTH is wrong with it.  I might just buy a new carb off ebay, they are pretty cheap.  Hell I can't hurt it
View Quote
Only possible issue with storing w/o fuel is that it may cause lines and/or seals to dry out.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#11]
IIRC, the mantis 2-cycle option uses an Echo engine and the 4-cycle uses a Honda.

It baffles me why they have so many carb problems (at least on the 2-cycle). My mom's had the same problem; carb failure after a few years. $25 and it was back up and running with a new carb.

I would like to have a mini-tiller but haven't been able to justify it yet... I think a 4-mix option like Stihl's larger string trimmers and brush-cutters would be ideal. 4-stroke, but no crankcase oil to mess with.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My grandmother gave me hers - she couldn't start it any more. I rebuilt the carb and tilled the first year. The second year, it wouldn't start. I left it at the curb and bought a four-stroke Honda at Home Depot.

I did a lot of reading on Mantis tillers and the consensus was that it was a great machine if you were a mechanical engineer who enjoyed futzing with small engines. Otherwise, junk.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then apparently my Mantis needed the carb rebuilt when it was brand new out of the box.   It has been rebuilt a couple of times over the years and it was still as hard to start and throttle as ever.

Never stored with fuel in it either, Always used non-ethanol fuel. No problems with my chainsaw, weed trimmer, lawn mowers, chipper shredder etc.

Just the Mantis.
View Quote
My grandmother had an early one that was a really good machine until she put straight gas into it and killed it. The troy built I replaced it with was pure junk. I guess you need to spring for a Stihl then.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Another frustrated owner here. The first time out this spring it started on the second pull. The second time it wouldn't stay running for anything. Time to order some parts I guess.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys/Gals, be sure to check the little screen in the muffler. These become clogged with carbon over time and restrict the air flow out of the cylinder.

If you can't get the air (exhaust) out, no air (air/fuel mix) can get in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guys/Gals, be sure to check the little screen in the muffler. These become clogged with carbon over time and restrict the air flow out of the cylinder.

If you can't get the air (exhaust) out, no air (air/fuel mix) can get in.
View Quote
   OK, So they come from the factory with a carb in need of a rebuild AND a clogged muffler screen apparently.

Hell with Mantis. My next small tiller will be a Honda or Stihl, Preferably a 4 stroke model if they make one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I picked up a Honda FG110 last Thursday. 

Honda FG110

Great little unit. I have a fairly large perennial garden and it took me 30 minutes to till. I chuckled the majority of the time running it because it is a little animal. It's just mad. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The older mantis tillers look a lot like the engine in my 1/5 scale rc. The clutch setup is different but the crank case has mounts on it that are very similar. I thought it would be fun to mess with and see if an RC cylinder would fit on the crank cases. They have a more aggressive port lay out and run at a higher rpm.

The motor brand for 1/5 scale rc is Chung Yang (CY) or Zenoah. Zenoahs are better quality and most of the parts interchange between the two brands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top