Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 10:51:35 AM EDT
I have 2 buff Orpingtons that are now 7 weeks old......and I'm thinking they are both Roos but I'm far from an expert on the matter. Since I don't have anymore buff orps to compare them with it makes it harder for me to form my uneducated guess. Any ideas based on the pic?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Still a bit too young to tell. I can see them going either way.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still a bit too young to tell. I can see them going either way.
View Quote
At what age would it be more conclusive? Other than waiting for them to crow, I'm not real sure what I should be looking for other than red combs and more agressive behavior. One of them is definitely more aggressive than the other.....but they both look identical. Same size legs, same size body, same size and color combs.

THey are also in a brooder with what I am sure is at least 2 other Roos. Barred rocks are much easier to tell and I definitely have at least 2 barred rock cockerels.  It sure if that would change their behavior.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
On younger birds I've had pretty good success sexing them my picking them up by their head.  Hens just let you, roosters fight it.  But never tried it on one more than about a week old so not sure if it would work.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
watch for that tail feather to start growing
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You will see one comb start to get more pronounced, as you know.  It won't be long from now.

As to more aggressive behavior I dunno.  Hens are bitches sometimes.

Are you wanting to know so you can make chicken & dumplins sooner, rather than later?
View Quote
I need to can some chicken stock......after the dumplings are made of course!  

It's not really a big deal either way to me if they are Roos or not. I'm just trying to learn as I go along and this place never ceases to amaze me at the amount of info in our ranks. I know backyard chickens has more info on the subject, but I guarantee someone from this site knows as much about it than anyone from there. That's why I always ask here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

At what age would it be more conclusive? Other than waiting for them to crow, I'm not real sure what I should be looking for other than red combs and more agressive behavior. One of them is definitely more aggressive than the other.....but they both look identical. Same size legs, same size body, same size and color combs.

THey are also in a brooder with what I am sure is at least 2 other Roos. Barred rocks are much easier to tell and I definitely have at least 2 barred rock cockerels.  It sure if that would change their behavior.
View Quote
You should have a real good idea if they are roos at about 12 weeks. 

Of course, if they start laying eggs its a dead giveaway 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top