Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2017 1:28:33 PM EDT
How can I grow my homestead to include fruit trees, berry bushes and vegetable plants (asparagus, perennials) while working overseas for 3 to 5 years?  I can travel home anytime to plant for a few weeks but will NOT be there to maintain my property except once per year.

We have 10 acres of secluded mature hardwoods in USDA Zone 8a with two ¾ acre building sites and a navigable creek leading to a major river.  1.5 acres cleared, 5 acres wooded and 3.5 acres of wooded low land.  This will be our forever home.
Long term plan is to have fruit trees, berry bushes, vegetable garden, a few goats, chickens and raise our future kids here.
My question is what should we plant now and let "go" to grow while we are living abroad?  I would like to get a jump start on fruit trees and asparagus especially.
My thoughts are to have somewhat of a food forest - berry bushes, fruit trees, cover crops, basically any edibles and even black locust for fence post/living fences.  I will fence off the trees to prevent deer from destroying them. I also have a like-minded friend that can stop by from time to time to check on the property, etc.   Again my goal is to make my property work and grow for me while we are gone.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I won't say this is impossible, but just know that there is a great deal of risk in doing this. #1 Cultivated plants sometimes have a "hard time" flourishing where other plants creep in on them. You need to be there to maintain and keep them flourishing. #2 If you're not there to react to pest/disease you may lose a large majority of your plants before you even know there is a problem.

That being said, there are things you can do to help. Use weed barriers & mulches to keep the other plants at bay. Use deer/pest barriers to keep animals from browsing on your trees and bushes.

Last tidbit I would like to include is be a bit more proactive/mindful of what you plant, when. IIRC, asparagus has a limited lifespan and it's generally ready to harvest in only a couple years. If you plant it now, 5 years before you return, you'll just be wasting it away. Same goes for blackberries/raspberries (except for the limited lifespan).
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won't say this is impossible, but just know that there is a great deal of risk in doing this. #1 Cultivated plants sometimes have a "hard time" flourishing where other plants creep in on them. You need to be there to maintain and keep them flourishing. #2 If you're not there to react to pest/disease you may lose a large majority of your plants before you even know there is a problem.

That being said, there are things you can do to help. Use weed barriers & mulches to keep the other plants at bay. Use deer/pest barriers to keep animals from browsing on your trees and bushes.

Last tidbit I would like to include is be a bit more proactive/mindful of what you plant, when. IIRC, asparagus has a limited lifespan and it's generally ready to harvest in only a couple years. If you plant it now, 5 years before you return, you'll just be wasting it away. Same goes for blackberries/raspberries (except for the limited lifespan).
View Quote
I was afraid the impossible word would arise. However, like with black berries, yes the fruit is wasted but they continue to grow. That is my goal to have plants growing to maturity while I am away.  Realistically I have been away for 6 months already and at the soonest will not return until the 18 month mark.  Either way i feel like trees are more important than cultivated plants at this point. I guess i should have mentioned that more than actual "plants".  Thank you for the assistance SigOwner_P229
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Plant fruit trees, bushes, and vines and let them go wild while you're gone. Plan travel around proper pruning season and do yearly maintenance at that time. Beware that deer and other wildlife will likely wipe out large amounts of your plantings even with cages put around them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Plant fruit trees, bushes, and vines and let them go wild while you're gone. Plan travel around proper pruning season and do yearly maintenance at that time. Beware that deer and other wildlife will likely wipe out large amounts of your plantings even with cages put around them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
JSmith88 - this was the idea let it go wild prune as needed, fully understand wildlife may decimate all my efforts.

Quoted:
OP, are you wanting wild berries, or tame hybrids?

Of course the answer is to plant the "backbone" things first...and plant them where you don't mind them spreading and going crazy.  If you plant varieties that are native, they will outlast most of the wildlife.  If you plant hybrids, maybe not so much.  

I will tell you an option that may not be right for you...

There are some "old time" (as the old-timers would say) varieties of apple, pear, cherry and peach that are much, much MUCH tougher than the modern hybrids and grafted trees.  I know this because there were some growing on my grandfather's property when I was young, and until it sold when I was in my 30s, they were STILL there.

They were not planted by anyone--they grew from (shhhhh) seed.  They never had any pruning and/or tending--they were sort of a mess in that way, if you know what a "tended" apple tree should look like--but they produced some really wonderful tasting little yellow apples.  

If I had a homestead the size of yours, were doing what you were doing, and wanted to get started on basic "survival" type foods, I'd plant those kinds of varieties.  You will not get a gorgeous apple bigger than your fist from those kinds of trees.  But do they bake up into a mighty fine pie?  Yes indeedy.

There WAS one about a half mile down the road from me, on the edge of a sink hole, though I don't know how the apples taste.  I can find out, though,  if it's still there.

So...I can't tell you exactly where to get those kinds of plants right now.  If you're interested in that approach, I'll look around as I can (sounds like you have time)

This doesn't appeal to too many people...only oddballs like me who enjoy growing old varieties for the sustainability of it.  But I would bet more money on those doing what you're after--and being there, producing, when you move home, than I would on anything you get grafted or hybridized or both.

Now...I won't be offended at all if you're not interested in this.

ETA:  As to asparagus, it wouldn't hurt to try it.  The asparagus at my mom's house has been growing there for 30 years. It's in grass.  She still picks it (or now we pick it for her) every spring.  It DOES do better when tended.  But it can survive for a good long while without that.
Kitties-with-Sigs

I don't have to have special trees per say.... yes I would plant a few different of my favorite varieties in hopes they take and of course plant local varieties well because we all know those last.  I am not trying to grow a Fuji apple but I would like to have good tasting fresh fruit so when myself as well as my little kids run in the yard at 5 years old they can grab a nice cherry or apple and understand that all things don't come from wally world.

More than likely my father has those same pear and little yellow/green Tart apple trees growing at his house 50 miles away.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top