Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2017 6:36:40 PM EDT
Our property has a LOT of wild goodies. From wild gooseberries, wild raspberries, wild grapes, and maybe a wild black cherry? That last one is my question.

It was identified as such by a person who knows more about trees than I by a long shot, but I wanted to confirm.

Here are some pics:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a black cherry tree
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Woot! 

Wish I would not have cut it down when I bought the place, I would likely have cherries by now 

As far as those little clusters of spherical things, be they perhaps cherry blossoms to be? Its my only cherry tree of size, any chance I get cherries?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the tell for you?

A lot of things about it said "cherry" to me, but I don't know that area at all, and the bark was close, but not quite, our wild cherry trees.  
View Quote
The glossy, almost leathery looking leaf, the leaf shape, and the "cherries" were a tell for me. I had it nailed as a cherry before the bark picture; the bark just confirmed it as cherry.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Do these ever make anything even approaching an edible cherry? I've got a lot of a very similar trees on my place and I've been watching the fruits on them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Black cherries? Yes, edible fruit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do these ever make anything even approaching an edible cherry? I've got a lot of a very similar trees on my place and I've been watching the fruits on them.
View Quote
Edible by what standards?

Edible by city-dwelling grocery store customers that would expect a fat, sweet cherry? Not even in the same class.

Edible by a pioneer/homesteader of yesteryear? Sure

They are smaller, more tart, less sweet, and really don't have much pulp. With ample addition of sugar they can make a fine jelly or juice. They can be used to make wines/spirits as well. You may be able to make a pie with them but you're going to be cleaning and pitting cherries for quite a while before you get enough to make a pie.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Edible by city-dwelling grocery store customers that would expect a fat, sweet cherry? Not even in the same class.

They are smaller, more tart, less sweet, and really don't have much pulp. With ample addition of sugar they can make a fine jelly or juice. They can be used to make wines/spirits as well. You may be able to make a pie with them but you're going to be cleaning and pitting cherries for quite a while before you get enough to make a pie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I didn't figure they'd make anything like a cherry you see in the store. I guessed if it was edible, it would be more like a tupelo berry which sounds a lot like what you're describing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got Black Cherry all over.  The stumps will sprout after you cut the tree down, makes nice cover/browse for deer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
They make awesome smoker wood when mixed with oak or hickory. Really great for pork.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Y'all, down here we have what everybody calls "wild cherry" and it's a gorgeous tree, and  I'm thinking it may be the same plant (based on the striations on the bark of the young tree).  I've never paid any attention to it--meaning I've never taxed it out to see the actual scientific name-- because it's not considered of landscape value ( though we had one growing on the corner of our farm when I was growing up and I remember as a kid, thinking it was a really cool tree.)

What I do remember about wild cherry is that ...The one we have down here is poisonous to cattle...when the branches break off and the leaves wilt, if cattle eat them, it's bad.

Is that the same as your black cherry?
View Quote
Yes, highly toxic. Wilted leaves will kill cattle and other critters.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Check carefully on differences between choke cherry and black cherry. Being that small/young I am doubtful it is a black cherry (timber value), vs.  choke cherry or something similar (wildlife food value)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top