Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
Hey all. I have posted in the past here but seeing another thread here motivated me to post again.

I have been lost in life and haven't really made a career out of anything but trucking. I'm looking for a change. I want to be self employed again and would like to try farming of some sort. I like the idea of raising livestock but it sounds like not enough money in it.  I also grew up in a very successful green house business and I would love to do something like that again maybe more specialized?

What do you guys think? I am located in Iowa and in my late twenties. Help a guy figure out how to make this happen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to make money at it, get used to thinking of it as raising forage. The more productive you keep your feed crops (including soil enhancement), the more productive you can be with your cattle.  Start small on the side, get a mentor who is good at it and will answer your questions, and check to see if you have an ag extension service or ag college program that teaches courses. I'm in Texas and we have several programs that can take newbies to great amounts of knowledge they solidify as they get experience. You may have resource like that close by.  If you want to be efficient, learn about rotational grazing, even in small fields, using legumes and clover along with your grasses to help with soil nitrogen maintenance, cross breeding for best growth, fertility, etc. and determine what breed (sometimes even color) your local market gives top dollar for. We have to breed for heat and drought tolerance. Guessing your neck of the woods has different needs.

Good luck. Leasing our place out now for someone else's cattle due to distance, but if we move there after retirement, we're in the game,
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
never put two bulls in the same pen
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem with making a living off cattle is aquiring enough land. We have 3 chicken houses which generate most of our fertilizer. Then you take the 625 acres of land required here to run a little over a hundred head plus the chicken houses income and we just barely make a living. Your pretty much going to have to work off the farm for a few years or have people back you to aquire the land you need. In ways I just can't push young people to make that kinda uncertain investment. But if it's your dream you're going to have to get a better job than hauling cows. I know I'm being a hard ass but it's like the movie The Rare Breed. Sometimes you just have to let people learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
never put two bulls in the same pen
View Quote
We got 7 bull's and one poor steer, but that steer is one mean ass outfit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want to make money at it, get used to thinking of it as raising forage. The more productive you keep your feed crops (including soil enhancement), the more productive you can be with your cattle.  Start small on the side, get a mentor who is good at it and will answer your questions, and check to see if you have an ag extension service or ag college program that teaches courses. I'm in Texas and we have several programs that can take newbies to great amounts of knowledge they solidify as they get experience. You may have resource like that close by.  If you want to be efficient, learn about rotational grazing, even in small fields, using legumes and clover along with your grasses to help with soil nitrogen maintenance, cross breeding for best growth, fertility, etc. and determine what breed (sometimes even color) your local market gives top dollar for. We have to breed for heat and drought tolerance. Guessing your neck of the woods has different needs.

Good luck. Leasing our place out now for someone else's cattle due to distance, but if we move there after retirement, we're in the game,
View Quote
Thank you. That is exactly what I am doing now. I have a family member or two that will help me and answer any questions. I am also looking into the extension and classes as I wouldn't mind that either but I learn much better hands on. I have been around the industry quite a bit and do have knowledge in the growing side of things *I grew up in a commercial greenhouse) and rotational grazing, shots and medicine etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The problem with making a living off cattle is aquiring enough land. We have 3 chicken houses which generate most of our fertilizer. Then you take the 625 acres of land required here to run a little over a hundred head plus the chicken houses income and we just barely make a living. Your pretty much going to have to work off the farm for a few years or have people back you to aquire the land you need. In ways I just can't push young people to make that kinda uncertain investment. But if it's your dream you're going to have to get a better job than hauling cows. I know I'm being a hard ass but it's like the movie The Rare Breed. Sometimes you just have to let people learn the hard way.
View Quote
I will be able to acquire the 100 acres for little of nothing as well as another property that I will probably sell to buy an acreage and some more acres / invest into a herd. I understand what you are saying but I feel like I might be ahead more then most by not having to purchase the land like most would.

As far as the day job it pays the bills.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You could look at leasing land also or maybe arranging some type of share cropping thing.   I would take a look at getting into the specialty beef products like organic, grass fed, etc or maybe heritage breeds of cattle.  This is the stuff the hipster kids and soccer moms pay top dollar around here for.  Otherwise your fortunes will be largely tied to the market prices just like every other farmer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no money in leasing here in Iowa. And like I said I don't want to lease, I want to be the farmer. Would be all grass fed.

Is there any money in sheep? I'm guessing they would be easier / cheaper but I have no experience there.

Also debated raising pigs in a more organic way. Anyone have experience here? I have a lot of experience with pig and it would almost be easier for me.

I also plan on growing things as well
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/index.php

I hung around here when we started. Sounds like you can expect about $100 profit per head on average.
We are quitting the business after this year. We are just too small and work full time + at our regular jobs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hung around here when we started. Sounds like you can expect about $100 profit per head on average.
We are quitting the business after this year. We are just too small and work full time + at our regular jobs.
View Quote
Those numbers can't be right. What that math 100 head would get you only 10k
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how much feed you have to buy or hay you have to pay for. The more you grow yourself the less you have to buy. That's where the number of acres per animal comes to pay. Plus you have breakdown and mortality to add back into the equation. The more self sufficient you are the better plus with hay equipment you can do custom work for extra income. The first few years when you're young is really tough even with family support. Sometimes it comes down to the wife taking care of the farm while you work off to make as good a money as you can. Custom planting is another route. You have to think outside the box every chance you get. Other op are selling the land and moving to a state with cheaper land prices but then you get away from your family support. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I just want to make a nice honest living is all. Want to do it my way not be a slave to a corporation ya know?

I should get back into the green house business that I grew up in but am scared to think what it would cost to do that again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Tough to make it as a small scale beef outfit.  Large commercial feed lots are so much more efficient.  You can make a small profit on it, but beef can't be your main product.  Most folks around here do it as a side business as part of other farm ops.  The have the land and grain to support it and can get some year round income that is somewhat independent of grain prices.  Think about it like diversification of a business portfolio.

Going grass fed might help drop feed costs, but not sure you'll get the weight gain of grain fed.   Around here a grain fed steer can gain 1000lbs in a year and be ready for market in about 14 months, or even sooner depending on what the buyers want.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just want to make a nice honest living is all. Want to do it my way not be a slave to a corporation ya know?

I should get back into the green house business that I grew up in but am scared to think what it would cost to do that again.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with the green houses, but they are seasonal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Kind of. I grew up in a very large green house wholesale and retail operation. I would absolutely love to do something like that again but not sure how to go about it. Almost feel like you have to be specialized or pick a niche now a days.

Before we made lots of money wholesale potting plants and flats and everything you can imagine to all big box stores, not sure if that would be a good idea or maybe start all organic veggie place or what.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
There is no money in raising beef/dairy/sheep/pigs/chickens in the scale you are looking at (couple hundred acres).

So, for a couple hundred acres, here are some thoughts on ways to make money:
Alfalfa, small bales. 
High quality grass hay, think horse hay. Horse people are willing to pay stupid money for good grass hay for horses. 
^Both of those are little time involved, could get a secondary day job if needed.

And my last great idea for you: organic. I don't want to start a fight about organic being this or that, but it is a growing, PROFITABLE market. Not so much corn/beans dry crops (although you can make out better than conventional), but organic beef, organic chicken, see where I'm going with this? Organic protein is stupid expensive in the store. 

Now, you know how you can REALLY capitalize on the organic market? Direct sales. You can be cheaper than the retail stores, but get higher price than selling wholesale. You do have a bit more headache, but the profit margin is much higher. 

I don't know what laws/demand are like in IA, but in MN, raw organic milk is very much in demand. People drive a LONG way to get it. If you are close enough to a metro area (within an hour drive time), this may well be a viable option: small scale organic dairy. Double that up with an A2 dairy herd and you can get easily $7/gallon for organic A2 milk. You want to make more money with that milk you say? Well, the highest profit/input ratio value added dairy product is yogurt. You make your own brand yogurt with your organic, grass fed A2 milk, now your selling for $7/QUART. These are direct sale prices, of course.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#17]
A lot of the greenhouse business is going corporate, and unless you can carve out your niche, it's tough. You'll see the same thing happen with the marijuana growers, everyone will jump in like cowboys, but it will play out the same. I'm seeing some interest in indoor urban farming using LED's and indoor growing. I'm curious if it's really sustainable long term using your own money and not relying on investments or grants.

The landscape guys are the ones making the bucks. Everyone bitches about plant prices, but I sure as shit see a lot of million dollar landscape jobs going in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no money in raising beef/dairy/sheep/pigs/chickens in the scale you are looking at (couple hundred acres).

Alfalfa, small bales. 
High quality grass hay, think horse hay. Horse people are willing to pay stupid money for good grass hay for horses. 
^Both of those are little time involved, could get a secondary day job if needed.

And my last great idea for you: organic. I don't want to start a fight about organic being this or that, but it is a growing, PROFITABLE market. Not so much corn/beans dry crops (although you can make out better than conventional), but organic beef, organic chicken, see where I'm going with this? Organic protein is stupid expensive in the store. 

Now, you know how you can REALLY capitalize on the organic market? Direct sales. You can be cheaper than the retail stores, but get higher price than selling wholesale. You do have a bit more headache, but the profit margin is much higher. 

I don't know what laws/demand are like in IA, but in MN, raw organic milk is very much in demand. People drive a LONG way to get it. If you are close enough to a metro area (within an hour drive time), this may well be a viable option: small scale organic dairy. Double that up with an A2 dairy herd and you can get easily $7/gallon for organic A2 milk. You want to make more money with that milk you say? Well, the highest profit/input ratio value added dairy product is yogurt. You make your own brand yogurt with your organic, grass fed A2 milk, now your selling for $7/QUART. These are direct sale prices, of course.
View Quote
You are a smart fella. That's kind of what I was thinking with organic livestock and produce.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A lot of the greenhouse business is going corporate, and unless you can carve out your niche, it's tough. You'll see the same thing happen with the marijuana growers, everyone will jump in like cowboys, but it will play out the same. I'm seeing some interest in indoor urban farming using LED's and indoor growing. I'm curious if it's really sustainable long term using your own money and not relying on investments or grants.

The landscape guys are the ones making the bucks. Everyone bitches about plant prices, but I sure as shit see a lot of million dollar landscape jobs going in.
View Quote
I know what your saying, see post above with the niche comment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are a smart fella. That's kind of what I was thinking with organic livestock and produce.
View Quote
If "produce" means veggies and such, skip it. You can't compete with cheap Mexican organic produce. Possibly, if you are close enough to a reasonable sized town, a 'you pick' strawberry, raspberry, blackberry patch may go over well. The strawberries are kind of high maintenance to get good yield, but very profitable. The raspberry and blackberries are almost weeds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If "produce" means veggies and such, skip it. You can't compete with cheap Mexican organic produce. Possibly, if you are close enough to a reasonable sized town, a 'you pick' strawberry, raspberry, blackberry patch may go over well. The strawberries are kind of high maintenance to get good yield, but very profitable. The raspberry and blackberries are almost weeds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems to be my problem with every thing I can possibly think of, someone is already doing it cheaper and easier and has more money etc.

Like I said I keep trying and trying to think of some little niche thing but for my life I just can not think of what to do. I just know it is time for a change here soon.

Unfortunately I am probably not in a market for a lot as I am in a very small rural town with a very small surrounding population.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That seems to be my problem with every thing I can possibly think of, someone is already doing it cheaper and easier and has more money etc.

Like I said I keep trying and trying to think of some little niche thing but for my life I just can not think of what to do. I just know it is time for a change here soon.

Unfortunately I am probably not in a market for a lot as I am in a very small rural town with a very small surrounding population.
View Quote
I do know that Costco is looking for organic contracts, but I doubt they pay even the going wholesale market price. 

Sounds like you will have to ship everything out, which cuts directly into your profits. 

I won't try to sugar coat it: if you can find something, it will be tough. 

Take a look into hay/alfalfa. You can get a LOT into a van trailer (best way to haul small bales a long way and they will NOT get wet) and ship it wherever its needed (basically, follow the droughts). By ship it, I mean use your CDL and your own truck/trailers. Small squares are the biggest PITA to deal with due to manual labor, but bring the highest price/pound. Also, they require no special equipment for loading/unloading other than leather gloves. It costs the same to truck large squares/rounds as small bales, so if you have the labor, the profit is higher for small squares.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I do know that Costco is looking for organic contracts, but I doubt they pay even the going wholesale market price. 

Sounds like you will have to ship everything out, which cuts directly into your profits. 

I won't try to sugar coat it: if you can find something, it will be tough. 

Take a look into hay/alfalfa. You can get a LOT into a van trailer (best way to haul small bales a long way and they will NOT get wet) and ship it wherever its needed (basically, follow the droughts). By ship it, I mean use your CDL and your own truck/trailers. Small squares are the biggest PITA to deal with due to manual labor, but bring the highest price/pound. Also, they require no special equipment for loading/unloading other than leather gloves. It costs the same to truck large squares/rounds as small bales, so if you have the labor, the profit is higher for small squares.
View Quote
That is something to consider. I do love cutting hay lol. Not sure it would be enough to live on though. I suppose I wouldn't have to farm for a living but I would like to.

I would be happy enough just being "self employed" doing ANYTHING honestly. And then I could just do my hobby farm thing to benefit me and feed the family. But again, I still need to figoure out what THAT is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is something to consider. I do love cutting hay lol. Not sure it would be enough to live on though. I suppose I wouldn't have to farm for a living but I would like to.

I would be happy enough just being "self employed" doing ANYTHING honestly. And then I could just do my hobby farm thing to benefit me and feed the family. But again, I still need to figoure out what THAT is.
View Quote
At current prices, 200 acres of alfalfa would be about 80k/year before expenses. If my 'back of napkin' math is right.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At current prices, 200 acres of alfalfa would be about 80k/year before expenses. If my 'back of napkin' math is right.
View Quote
would be considerably less acres. Would guess in total like maybe 80 total tillable. What do you do for employment? I have read quite a bit of your posts and watched some of your videos but I have forgot if you mentioned it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's your competition:

http://www.metrolinagreenhouses.com/Pages/About-Our-Company.aspx

162 acres of greenhouse.

That's not greenhouses on 162 acres, it's 162 acres of covered and heated greenhouse space.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here's your competition:

http://www.metrolinagreenhouses.com/Pages/About-Our-Company.aspx

162 acres of greenhouse.

That's not greenhouses on 162 acres, it's 162 acres of covered and heated greenhouse space.
View Quote
Those guys are located in North Carolina. I would not be competition with them in any way. There are plenty of large producers here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Those guys are located in North Carolina. I would not be competition with them in any way. There are plenty of large producers here.
View Quote
Yeah, but you understand why it's hard to make money any more. A lot of this is worked out at the corporate level with bank financing and what not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, but you understand why it's hard to make money any more. A lot of this is worked out at the corporate level with bank financing and what not.
View Quote
Yes I do understand what you mean there. Which is exactly the reason for all my posts. I am willing to die to figure out how to do something! I hate that this country has made it so damn hard to start a small business! All I want to do is provide for my family without having to sell out to coroporate america.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

would be considerably less acres. Would guess in total like maybe 80 total tillable. What do you do for employment? I have read quite a bit of your posts and watched some of your videos but I have forgot if you mentioned it.
View Quote
80 total tillable? 

Sorry, you are almost guaranteed to NOT make a living on that, not where you are. Your ONLY HOPE would be sold-on-farm organic dairy, perhaps organically raised chickens (meat). 

I own a small internet based company. It keeps us afloat, but a very niche market. Nothing anybody else could do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but it sounds like across the board everyone is saying the same thing

Oh well like I said I can still have a size able acreage and hobby farm.

Still need to figure out what to do for a living though. I am absolutely miserable in the semi and it's killing me.

Again I am lost there as well. I don't have any true passions and am kind of lost. I have no idea what to do long term go to school learn a trade I don't know. All I know is I am sick of being stuck. Need to figure out something I can do here because that's the only option right now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I hear ya. After I turned 18, I sort of left the farm (well, the farm left me. The family farm acreage was rented and I was more/less "not needed") and got my CDL. Drove belly dump a while, was a yard dog after that for a while. Killed my back, sucked.

Finding what you want to do is tough, double tough in a low population area. Just not that much money around.

Moving to greener pastures for opportunity may be what you have to do, and learn a trade or otherwise start a business.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#33]
That's where I'm at now.  My only opportunity at moving would be to the Daytona Beach Florida area. Not sure that would be the right thing to do. Especially for my little ones.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Something a bit "out there" could be an agri-tourism destination.  That seems to be the thing these days.  All of the "city" kids are wanting to see what it was like for Great Grandma and Grandpa back on the farm, even though it has been several generations since anyone on the family was actively working a farm.   In the fall it is the "THING" to do to pack up the kids in the soccer-mom-mobile and go pick out pumpkins and have a fun day on the farm.

There are a few in Indiana and Ohio that do quite well.   You basically plant some corn each year for a corn maze and for nice fall decorations.  You have some wheat that you can cut for straw, and then do straw rides (make sure to call it a hay ride though... ;) ).   You can have a petting zoo with goats, sheep, pigs, cows, etc.   You can sell your organic veggies and other stuff like made from scratch fudge and pies to complete the experience.   An acre or so of pumpkins is nice for a 'pick your own pumpkin' patch.   Anything not used for the tourism could be high quality grass for hay for local horse owners, as mentioned above.

Some good old fashioned "dangerous" farm type toys like a big tube slide, some tire swings, etc. and people really feel like they are living the country life.  You could even have a barn that could be used for birthday parties, etc.

The challenge in that is there are some start up costs, but you will likely make more on your few hundred acres from the tourism then you will from the crops.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Something a bit "out there" could be an agri-tourism destination.  That seems to be the thing these days.  All of the "city" kids are wanting to see what it was like for Great Grandma and Grandpa back on the farm, even though it has been several generations since anyone on the family was actively working a farm.   In the fall it is the "THING" to do to pack up the kids in the soccer-mom-mobile and go pick out pumpkins and have a fun day on the farm.

There are a few in Indiana and Ohio that do quite well.   You basically plant some corn each year for a corn maze and for nice fall decorations.  You have some wheat that you can cut for straw, and then do straw rides (make sure to call it a hay ride though... ;) ).   You can have a petting zoo with goats, sheep, pigs, cows, etc.   You can sell your organic veggies and other stuff like made from scratch fudge and pies to complete the experience.   An acre or so of pumpkins is nice for a 'pick your own pumpkin' patch.   Anything not used for the tourism could be high quality grass for hay for local horse owners, as mentioned above.

Some good old fashioned "dangerous" farm type toys like a big tube slide, some tire swings, etc. and people really feel like they are living the country life.  You could even have a barn that could be used for birthday parties, etc.

The challenge in that is there are some start up costs, but you will likely make more on your few hundred acres from the tourism then you will from the crops.
View Quote
That is a good idea, there is one of those not far from here. They do OK I guess, but I think it would depend on exactly how far the OP is from a decent size city. If the closest town is 1200 and the "big" shopping town 1 hour away is 4000 population, it probably is too far for enough interest.

Makes me wonder: A living history farm? Pick an era (say dawn of the tractor age) and farm 40 acres like that?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Unless you invent a new product you are really in a tough spot. We were in the same position some years ago, invested a bunch of money into equipment fertilizer, seed etc planning on taking over the horse hay market in the area.  

Have you dealt with horse women?

Next plan was to feed the hay to steers to get rid of it.
Not very efficient.

I can send a list of equipment I have for sale,
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unless you invent a new product you are really in a tough spot. We were in the same position some years ago, invested a bunch of money into equipment fertilizer, seed etc planning on taking over the horse hay market in the area.  

Have you dealt with horse women?

Not very efficient.

View Quote
Yeah it's not a good sign when everyone I talk to is saying the same thing. Is America really that screwed? Is there really not an honest way to make a living anymore? I'm not going to break my back for someone else's profit forever, to hell with that there has to be something I can do? Flip autos? Flip properties? Dirt work? God something....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

[b]Have you dealt with horse women? [\b]

Not very efficient.

View Quote
X2 on Horse women!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Alfalfa, small bales. 

View Quote
We sell raw milk for $8 a gallon, sometimes more.  We are a 15 minute drive from a 15000 pop "liberal" town, and folks seem plenty willing to drive. With one cow milking we are not going to be rich, but it does pay feed costs for my small herd.  I've kicked around the idea of milking 4-5 and getting into cheese or yogurt, but at least for now I'm focusing on maximizing my land use and capital improvements

Depending on Iowa laws, it could be doable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top