Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 4:10:17 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to plant some Jalepenos, Serranos, poblanos, bell peppers, and peppercinis. Can I plant them in egg cartons to save space then transfer them to Red solo cups after they germinate and outgrow the egg cartons, or is this a bad idea?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can. But is is probably to late to start them for this growing season. Started mine 3/18 hope to have them in the ground by memorial day. There now about 6 inches tall.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You're better off buying plants this late.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes I buy plants; sometimes I start from seeds.

When I start from seeds, I try very hard not to have to transplant until it's time to go in the ground.  Extra work, and can hurt the roots.  I would plant in something big enough to last you until it's time to put them in the garden.

It's really, really late for starting peppers or tomatoes from seed.  Like a good 2 months too late.  Bite the bullet and get plants this year.  What you get in additional peppers will be worth more than what you pay for the plants and head start.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried the egg carton thing, it was a waste of effort.

From Home Despot the best option was the germinating trays that allow you to germinate 40-50 seeds at once.  And water them all at once.  And put a light on top.  And depending a heat pad underneath.

Put 2 or 3 seeds in each, cull the smaller ones, this allows for duds that don't germinate.  Use some decent liquid fertilizer in the tray of water.

Once the roots poke through the bottom start transplanting them to small flower pots.  Depending on where you live you can move them inside/outside/inside to harden the plants in cool climes.

If you are going to over winter any plant (frost is death) plant them in 5 gallon pots.  

I never have grown any of the varieties you have mentioned so try them and learn what and how they do.  I like the super hots, Morugas, Chaguanas, etc.  They take a long time to germinate (60 days or so, or more) so I really started them in the fall to plant the next spring.

I bought my seeds at Pepper Joe, great variety.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes you can. But is is probably to late to start them for this growing season. Started mine 3/18 hope to have them in the ground by memorial day. There now about 6 inches tall.
View Quote
This.  I have some I started in March as well.  They are not even 6" tall.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.  I have some I started in March as well.  They are not even 6" tall.
View Quote
I don't know what's up with seeds this year. I started seeds at the end of January, and by planting time (late March for me), they were barely 2 inches tall and only had one set of true leaves. As an experiment, I started a second batch in different soil, and they're doing the same. I broke down and bought plants for the first time in eight years. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know what's up with seeds this year. I started seeds at the end of January, and by planting time (late March for me), they were barely 2 inches tall and only had one set of true leaves. As an experiment, I started a second batch in different soil, and they're doing the same. I broke down and bought plants for the first time in eight years. 
View Quote
I bought seeds(two different brands) because the plants weren't available.  Out of two packages 11 seeds sprouted.  Not the year for habaneros apparently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top