Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2017 11:46:42 AM EDT
Planning a garden when house / land purchase is finalized.  
Will this idea work?

1.  Mark off garden boundaries.
2.  Dig down 1 foot +- with front end loader / bodcat.
3.  Use this dirt as part of berm for shooting.
4.  Bring in load of topsoil to fill in garden.
5.  Cover with black plastic until time to plant.  
6.  Till chicken pen leavings into soil and plant.

Am I right that this should eliminate all weeds?  Or at least drastically minimize them?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried covering the garden with black plastic over winter one year.  It started out with few weeds but by harvest time it was back to picking weeds. 

The next year I tried row gardening with mulch and bark on the pathways between rows, same deal with weeds, my mistake was pulling them and throwing them into the walk ways they ended up growing there.  Lesson learned, pull and put into a container to dump over the fence.

Last year, same deal with mulch and bark this time on top of the rows in addition to the walkways.  Vegetables can grow through cover, weeds have a hard time but they do.  Advantage is weeds are easier to pull.

Each year I used sprinklers placed in overlapping parts of the garden, bad thing is that you're watering everything not just vegetables so weeds can grow also.

This year, drip lines on all the rows covered with some hay or bark, rows again with bark and mulch in the walkways.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just dumped two tons of bull manure in the garden and am trying to forestall running the tiller for the next two hours.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never tried the black plastic. The best thing that I've found is to till, then immediately cover in 3-4 inches of mulch. When it's time to plant, I push aside the mulch from that one area and plant. Once the seed comes up, or the transplant is settled, I push the mulch all the way up to the base of the stem.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
spreading weed killer right when the weather starts turning warm has helped to eliminate most weeds in my lawn. certainly a difference from past years when i didnt put any out, or waited until later to put it out
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
6.  Till chicken pen leavings into soil and plant.
View Quote

You should compost the litter for a while before adding it to a garden
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind, this is all my opinion:

First, don't go near a garden bed with heavy equipment. You compact that soil, you will pay for that for years. BT/DT. Roto tilling also pulverizes the soil. In my experience with my soil conditions, plow and harrow is best

For breaking up what is there, you could choose a cover crop for your area that is good at busting up heavy soil and pulling up nutrients. Someone local to your area should hopefully chime with a good choice. Tilling in a few crops of that will be beneficial.

After using above cover crops to do some of the work, haul in your top soil. Instead of black plastic, which does work for killing weeds and may be needed if the soil is heavily inundated with weed seeds, I much prefer cover crops to grow and routinely turn in the soil. Instead of making the soil dead (soil is alive, btw) make it thrive. When you are ready to start your garden, turn in the cover crop (field peas and buckwheat are a nice mix), a couple weeks of cultivating weed cots, and plant your garden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top