Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 6:41:10 AM EDT
The property we bought last october used to have a house where we want to put our garden. The house that was there was burnt down by the previous owner. After the clean up they put fill dirt where it used to sit. We already have our chicken coop setup and in place so the chickens can help later on. What can we do to get the dirt ready to be used fer planting? We are going to set up a compost area soon as well. I have some ash left over from buring wood and some left over bark i can till into he gound as well. We have straw from the coop that can also be mixed in. Would this be enough to get the soil in planting condition? If not what else should we do? Is it going to be possible to start this year or will we need to wait till the soil is in better shape?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the fill they used, where you are. You can slowly turn some fill into top soil with the methods you are using provided it drains, if it is clay and it dont drain your wasting your time. Planting clover or the like and tilling it in this fall will make it turn very fast. It may be better to buy a truck load of topsoil and plant in that. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the fill they used, where you are. You can slowly turn some fill into top soil with the methods you are using provided it drains, if it is clay and it dont drain your wasting your time. Planting clover or the like and tilling it in this fall will make it turn very fast. It may be better to buy a truck load of topsoil and plant in that. Good luck.
View Quote
X2 and to help the soIL break down the organic matter a little nitrogen always helps. The main thing I would really look for is the nails. They have a way of making life miserable with flat tires. A soil test never hurts either. Another option is raised beds.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Soil Test. Will tell you exactly what you need.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
toxic soil  testing
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soil Test. Will tell you exactly what you need.
View Quote
This.

I would start small.

Gardening is a constant learning experience. I have been gardening for decades and I'm still learning.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I will try to get a soil test done soon to see what we have got. I do know that the hous that used to be there was on a slab. So, if anything, i would imagine its only going to be a small amount of fill dirt that they needed to use to cover where the slab was. We weremt planning on having a huge one garden. My wife doesnt really have a green thumb, and i dont have too much extra time with working and other projects around the home. I want to get the whole section where the house was ready to be used. The our plans are going to be to split it in two sections with the coop in the middle and the compost pile close by. We will be rotating where the chickens will be roaming every year.  Keeping them out of the side we are growing on until the next year, and planting where they were the previous year.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
It might be cost prohibitive, but I would do raised beds.  Then you can put decent soil in and not mess with the ground too much.  I still tilled the area under beds before I installed them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I will definitely post up some pics of the setup. As to the raised beds, i would prefer not to have them. Trying to keeo costs down on excess materials that we will need to get the garden going since we will need to fence in the whole area fer the chickens and to make a extra large compost bin. Once i do the soil test and get the results, what am i looking fer so i know what condition the soil is in? Or do they say that in the results of the test?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top