Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2017 9:34:53 PM EDT
I have about 3.5 acres of grass to cut.  Looking for a newer riding mower or zero turn to replace my '69 Cub Cadet...any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your budget?

I have a Hustler zero turn I got from Lowes.  It's a 54 inch deck.  I did a lot of research before I bought it and I think it's the best value out there in a new mower.  Sure there are better units out there but their price is a lot higher too.  I mow roughly 1.5 acres and really enjoy it.

I would be looking for a 60 inch deck if I was mowing 3.5 acres.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the budget. I bought a Dixie chopper classic a few years back and have been really happy with it
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my scag! Mowed 2 acres today with it in under an hour!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Scag Tiger Cat with a Kawasaki engine that I have been very happy with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have about 3.5 acres of grass to cut.  Looking for a newer riding mower or zero turn to replace my '69 Cub Cadet...any suggestions?
View Quote

the area is flat or hilly?
the area is smooth or bumpy?
the area is dry, typical, or muddy?
you cut once a week, or once a month?
you need a mower only, or something that could also do other things like spray or plow or till or whatever?
you can fix/self-maintain, or are you a mechanical klutz?
price range?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Fabricated metal deck and a Kawasaki engine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I knew I should have been more specific, my fault.  We just moved into the property last weekend, so I haven't cut the grass yet...it's not out of hand either.  The land is mostly flat with a slight, gradual slope in the front.  I'm definately not retired so any time savings will be appreciated.  The land is pretty smooth, not bumpy.  I'll cut it when needed, once a week or every other week depending on how fast it grows.  I would like to keep the price around 4K or so.  All it will be doing is cutting grass.  I am a little handy with a wrench, but I do have good friends who can bail me out if I get in over my head.

Thanks for the replies...also is a welded deck better than a stamped deck?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#10]
post a picture of your yard!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huskee's are rolling crap, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I knew I should have been more specific, my fault.  We just moved into the property last weekend, so I haven't cut the grass yet...it's not out of hand either.  The land is mostly flat with a slight, gradual slope in the front.  I'm definately not retired so any time savings will be appreciated.  The land is pretty smooth, not bumpy.  I'll cut it when needed, once a week or every other week depending on how fast it grows.  I would like to keep the price around 4K or so.  All it will be doing is cutting grass.  I am a little handy with a wrench, but I do have good friends who can bail me out if I get in over my head.

Thanks for the replies...also is a welded deck better than a stamped deck?
View Quote
Fabricated (welded) deck will blow away a stamped deck.

With your budget, go look at the Hustler 60 inch deck mower. It's a little bit over your budget but you will greatly appreciate the extra width.

Again, there are better mowers out there (Scag are awesome) but I think the Hustler gives the best value for the money at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Electric fence and a Dexter or other small breed cow.

No mowing, sell/eat calves.

ETA: or skip the cow and buy a steer to raise for the freezer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently got a Gravely ZT HD.  Awesome mower
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
As you see there are plenty of opinions.  Take a look at the Husqvarna GT48DXLS.  The D is important.  It's a new, hard to find model.  You will find them at dealers, not big box stores.  48" fabricated clear cut deck that can bag without having to use a blower.  24HP Kawasaki engine.  K66 transmission.  $2999.  

Discussed here

I just got mine and am very happy.  Zero turn wasn't a good match for my needs or property. John Deere 570 would have been twice as much.  

ETA:  Huskee (rolling crap as mentioned previously) is not the same as Husky (short for Husqvarna).
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I recently got a Gravely ZT HD.  Awesome mower
View Quote
Same here, after researching for months I decided to go with Gravely.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Can't go wrong with anything Kubota. Buy once, cry once.

http://www.kubota.com/product/ZSeries.aspx
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with anything Kubota. Buy once, cry once.

http://www.kubota.com/product/ZSeries.aspx
View Quote
I just bought a Z400 series 54" deck with a Kawasaki engine on it, new model for this year. It has a $500 rebate till the end of the year, i got zero percent financing for 48 months, $6500.00.

I hate having a payment for a mower, but i got a better machine than i wanted to pay for and i couldnt pass up the zero percent rate.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I just picked up one of These the other day for a ridiculously good deal.  2015 model with 240 hours on it.  I'm in a similar boat, and I in a month I close on a house with about 2 acres of mostly clear, yard with a gently sloped portion and a good amount of trees and such to mow around.  

Haven't used it much, just took it for a spin mowing at my parent's place and it is a really nice, extremely comfortable ride and seat, very adequate power, and a great cut way faster than a lawn tractor.  It does great at detail work around trees and such, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It's their "commercial" line, with upgraded hydro, and a fabricated deck vs the standard stamped deck.  Having the steering wheel makes it much more usable for the wife compared to a standard zt in the event that she will have to use it to mow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Not to change the subject but I see that a lot of people seem to be all about a fabricated deck. As someone that has owned MANY of both I can without a doubt tell you that a QUALITY stamped deck will outlast and outperform a fabricated deck hands down by far.
A high quality stamped deck set-up with the right blades gets better vacuum which stands the grass up for a more even cut. It also disperses clippings better leaving a cleaner finish. If you want to see where a Stamped deck really outperforms a fabricated deck mow some soaking wet tall grass in the pouring rain and get back to me.
<---- Used to mow over 150 lawns a week ---->
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not to change the subject but I see that a lot of people seem to be all about a fabricated deck. As someone that has owned MANY of both I can without a doubt tell you that a QUALITY stamped deck will outlast and outperform a fabricated deck hands down by far.
A high quality stamped deck set-up with the right blades gets better vacuum which stands the grass up for a more even cut. It also disperses clippings better leaving a cleaner finish. If you want to see where a Stamped deck really outperforms a fabricated deck mow some soaking wet tall grass in the pouring rain and get back to me.
View Quote
Having used both, I wouldn't have a stamped deck if I had a choice between stamped and fabricated.

Both mow just fine. I never mow in the rain and rarely mow when the grass is damp.

There is no way a stamped deck will outlast a fabricated. Thin sheet metal vs 1/8 inch and thicker steel??....no comparison. Maybe it's partly because most stamped decks are on cheap mowers.

Look at all the commercial mowers out there. They all have fabricated decks.

What commercial mowers were you using with a stamped deck?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is my  thought as well. The aerodynamics of the underside of the deck is important if you care about a quality cut.  If your just looking to knock it down then it's not such a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Having used both, I wouldn't have a stamped deck if I had a choice between stamped and fabricated.

Both mow just fine. I never mow in the rain and rarely mow when the grass is damp.

There is no way a stamped deck will outlast a fabricated. Thin sheet metal vs 1/8 inch and thicker steel??....no comparison. Maybe it's partly because most stamped decks are on cheap mowers.

Look at all the commercial mowers out there. They all have fabricated decks.

What commercial mowers were you using with a stamped deck?
View Quote
A quality stamped deck will outlast a fabricated deck. All of the mowers that I have bought in the last 10 years are John Deere and have the 7Iron decks. I have seen many fabricated decks fail due to commercial abuse. Welds fail! I have yet to see a 7Iron deck fail. At one point I had 10 of them going out 5 days a week rain or shine. Side by side comparisons done by myself and my employees proved time and time again that they are superior to any fabricated deck especially in tall wet grass.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A quality stamped deck will outlast a fabricated deck. All of the mowers that I have bought in the last 10 years are John Deere and have the 7Iron decks. I have seen many fabricated decks fail due to commercial abuse. Welds fail! I have yet to see a 7Iron deck fail. At one point I had 10 of them going out 5 days a week rain or shine. Side by side comparisons done by myself and my employees proved time and time again that they are superior to any fabricated deck especially in tall wet grass.
View Quote
While I'm sure that deck is a good deck, it's also not a standard stamped deck. To compare that deck to what most mowers have for a stamped deck is silly.

All the heavy commercial users in my area use commercial mowers. Some of the small time mowers use cheap mowers but all the commercial mowers use brands like Scag, Cub Cadet (commercial models), Grasshopper, and Gravely. Not one of them has a stamped deck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mid 80s Gravely?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Hustler raptor sd would be cost to that budget
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
My brother and I live next to each other and have nearly 4 acres a piece to cut and nearly 5 acres at the family cabin. We went in together and got a Dixie chopper. Best investment I've made, they are tough and parts are readily available. My parents have one also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top