BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
So I have an ash tree that is in my way shading my Apple trees. 

Is there a way to top a tree properly, or is doing that at all grounds for a lifetime ban?

It's topped out cut down and the wife likes that tree for some shade.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Emerald ash borer will take care of it for you in a few years if you are patient.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Emerald ash borer will take care of it for you in a few years if you are patient.
View Quote
Yep.  Killed every single one on my parents 40 acres.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
We have tons of ash, healthy as can be.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We have tons of ash, healthy as can be.
View Quote
It's tearing up the Twin Cities right now, and will inevitably make its way to the rest of the state, unfortunately.  It will decimate the northern forests.  If the cities hadn't planted lots of ash trees on boulevards in the 60s, creating a monoculture of urban trees, perhaps the bug wouldn't have spread so fast.  Too late for regret, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So anyway, will topping it kill it or just make it ugly?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So anyway, will topping it kill it or just make it ugly?
View Quote
Topping will be bad for it's health, but probably won't kill it.  You'll likely see it green up with lots of sprout growth next year, but those sprouts will have weak attachment points which will, in the end, tax the health of your tree.  Thinning is a better option.  This consists of selectively trimming certain branches back to the branch collar.  

As several others have mentioned, the EAB's are going to get your tree.  I guess nothing in life is certain, but the odds of an ash tree in MN surviving are fairly slim.  Before you spend much time or money topping, trimming or anything else, I would recommend that you start looking at other options.  Even if you decide to keep the ash, start looking at options to get something else planted now, so that if it does die you'll have something else already established.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I really don't want ANYTHING where this particular tree is, but the Mrs likes the shade it gives next to the fire ring. At its current height (about 25-30ft) it shades my young apple trees. If I top of a third of it or so, it would no longer shade the apple trees, but have some nice dense branches for shade.

It may come down in the end being all ugly topped, the Mrs and I are still talking it over.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I estimate that every time a tree is topped, it takes at least 1/3 of the life of the tree.  Maybe more like half, but 1/3 is an easy estimate to make and believe I'm well within realistic estimations.

snippage

I don't disagree with others on the forum, but...in nearly all instances of pests and/or disease of a certain species, there are those that survive, and from this we find resistant populations.  I, for one, hope this will be true with EAB.
View Quote
I hope that you're right on the resistant populations.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My 2 oaks had dirt with ivy around them. I removed the ivy and replaced with pine bark chips. There is about 3-4" of chips in these pics. The roots are just below the mulch but when I dug a littlke to create the circle I covered the exposed roots with the soil. Is this current set up harmful to these trees? 

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would reduce the height of the mulch pile just a little.

Only because it looks "mounded."

Keep it at the level of the soil around the trees.

That will discourage rodents from living in it, and will not encourage rot.  (If the mulch is mounded around areas where it would not naturally be, rot can ensue.)

With trees that mature, this is pretty much the only issue I'd worry about.

ETA:  Are you saying you buried the roots with soil when they were not buried before?  If so, that's another issue.  Don't do that.

If you are saying you uncovered them, then recovered them at the same depth, that's fine.
View Quote
Removing all the thick ivy required some digging,  once it was all gone I raked the dirt even and then made the circle you now see. I made a small trench at the circlescedge to hold the pine bark in place. The little dirt I dug out to create the depression I tossed into the circle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, it will be harmful to the tree.

What folks often do not realize is that tree roots, even underground, actually breathe (in a way)--they need Oxygen and other gases from air.  Wherever they are--meaning how deep they are in the ground--they are there because they are getting sufficient oxygen at that level.  You will notice that maples (Sugar in particular, red less so) have very shallow root systems in many instances.  People love maple trees, but despair of  mowing around them because of constantly hitting the shallow roots that stick out of the ground.    

If you bury the roots of the maple more deeply, I would be extremely careful, and would not go more than an inch or so.  And if the tree is already stressed, I likely would not even do that.  I have removed the sod and replaced it with a very loose, "chunk" type mulch--pine nuggets or the bigger chunks you can sometimes get in bags, which makes an attractive ground cover without burying the roots, and relieves the need to mow around the tree.  I don't know if this will work for you or not.   But by doing that, I did not add any depth to the soil over the roots. I kept it at the same level, just mulch instead of grass...does that make sense?

If the tree has a steep mound around its base, it likely was planted shallowly, and perhaps for exactly the reason you've noted.  the heavy clay soil would have suffocated it, and planting it with part of the root ball out of the ground might have been one solution to that.  There could be other reasons it's like that.  Sometimes clay, when it gets waterlogged, will actually heave or "float" objects (septic tanks, etc) and the root ball of a recently installed tree would not be unheard-of.   I don't know that of course, just guessing at why that tree has such a steep approach to the trunk.  In any case, I would not attempt to alter it, in particular because it's a maple, and it's a nice size one.  

I wonder if we might be able to help with ideas to redirect the water flow around the root ball, so it moves away from the house, and to best advantage for you and the tree as well?
View Quote
The tree was likely planted shallow.  I also have other frost heave issues and it wouldn't surprise me if it heaved up some over the years - or every year.

The property is flat.  Most everywhere is 1% or less.  The house footing was built about 3' under the original grade, and the excavated spoils were placed with some additional fill to raise the grade at the house an additional three feet.  This tapers to the original grade about 30' from the house.  The tree sits 20 feet past this.  The property was an old hay field, and the dead furrows are still visible in the yard.  I had a large foundation fix (frost heave) and a tore out my concrete front porch (frost heave pushed it up so rain went towards the house and added some more fill.  The immediate area by the tree doesn't hold water so I'll just taper the fill out and call it good.  How far from the base of the trunk would you keep fill away?  Five feet or ten feet or more?

ETA, we are zone 4.  North and west sides of the house gets brutal wind in the winter which scours the snow away.  The wind keeps up the rest of the year too.
For flower beds by the house I am thinking iris, peonies, lilies, compass plant, black eyed susans, Shasta daisies, gas plant, hollyhocks, lupine, hardy mums
some annuals from seed - poppies maybe, and possibly a few clumps of taller grasses?
I dislike evergreen type shrubs by the house for some reason.  Maybe a couple of burning bushes.
I need low maintenance, and just want some informal color and some nice flowers my wife or daughters can pick and put in a vase on the table.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's the easiest way to get a yard leveled out.

Between moles and ruts from having a well put in and some other plumbing work in the back yard it's gotten pretty rough. It wasn't take care of right when it happened because it was winter and the ground was soggy. Now the grass has grown back and I get beat to hell riding the mower around. 
View Quote
Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagscribed
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any ideas?
View Quote
Aerator and a heavy roller?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh shoot!  I'm sorry.  Glad you bumped me.

First...are the moles gone?  Or are they still doing damage?  

Second, how big is your yard?--I mean how big is the area that's damaged by the moles and the equipment ruts?
View Quote
Ruts are probably 50' long. The damaged area is probably 10'x20'. The whole yard is pretty rough over all. I've thought about having a load of top soil dropped off and just filling the ruts and holes. The moles are never really gone  but I've got a pretty good handle on them. 
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#29]
So the family and I were at Menards yesterday getting supplies for Stuff and they have all their pants on clearance of course. And of course they have a pot of grapes on clearance, 13 bucks and it's already got grapes growing on it so course I bring home.
However I have extremely poor luck trying to grow grapes or really anything where I want to put my berries and grapes so I'll ask this : starting from scratch with a pot of grapes exactly how should I plant those how should I fertilize them? should I put any manure on the bottom of the hole? from someone who knows very little about grapes I'd like to do this one right so I'm open for instructions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Snapped a few pics tonight of the stretch where I planted the grass as well as some other projects on that side of the property.

Panoramic of the grass bed  adjacent to the fence.  The planting is a straight line, the panoramic mode of course makes it look curved.  Runs almost straight east to west and the field in front is due north.

The bed is about 400' long - hard to show distance due to the slope.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/grass1-206506.jpg

Hidden behind the clump of trees in the middle of the photo above is one of two small ponds that have been dry and over grown since we bought the place.  Had a neighbor bring his Cat over and he excavated one of them for me and used the spoils to build a berm off the side.  Pond is holding water so far.  A bit slow to fill given the small watershed area, but going in the right direction.  The area to the right and behind the dog on the far right is the berm built from the spoils.  It runs back from the pond side walls at a 90 degree and hooks around a bit like a comma.  From an aerial perspective the pond and berm would look a bit like a Q.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/pond-206507.jpg

A pic of the backstop berm dead ahead.  The side wall to the right is backside of the pond.  Scale and slope is deceiving in pictures.  The height is 10' at the lowest and the berm face is extremely steep.  The 2x4 is a 12' and marks the area that I'm planning to enclose with side and overhead covers as well as put a few feet of clean sand on the berm face.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/berm1-206501.jpg

Lots of work to be done still - and these projects aren't even my main ones... not enough time in the day!
View Quote
Update on the "elephant grass" - growing better than a weed!

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ruts are probably 50' long. The damaged area is probably 10'x20'. The whole yard is pretty rough over all. I've thought about having a load of top soil dropped off and just filling the ruts and holes. The moles are never really gone  but I've got a pretty good handle on them. 
View Quote
i think getting additional topsoil is the way to go.  

ps
the moles are 1) eating earthworms and grubs, and 2) are very regional about where they live.  solving the grubs problem using one of 87 pesticides and/or other wives tales is not going to solve your mole problem, as you have probably already found out.  in my experience, you have to mechanically kill enough of them that their numbers diminish below critical mass and/or they move on.  

moles are really good at avoiding poison baits. if the poison looks like rabbit food, or dry pellets, forget it -- they won't touch it.
the only poison bait that really works fairly well is Talpirid, but it's pretty expensive
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002B9COD4?tag=vglnk-c102-20

but so far i have found the following mechanical trap to work best. it sets easily, and it's easy to tell when it's tripped.
i have bagged lots of moles with this unit. i've also not had it trip and then found it empty.
when it trips in all probability you have one less mole.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SDKGC6?tag=vglnk-c102-20

those things above WORK!  follow the directions, understand your enemy's tactics, and you can win.

ar-jedi

ps
photos are from Amazon, but as shown, once the trap trips, the mole is terminated...

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The reason I suggest aeration is that it sort of loosens everything without total renovation.  Then roll, then spread topsoil, then seed, then roll, etc.
View Quote
a couple things about aeration:

1) *only* aerate when the grass is actually actively growing and not under any sort of stress.  *in general*, this means either spring or fall.  for cool season turfgrass varietals, aerating when the grass is dormant (e.g. winter) or when it is drought-stressed (during the peak summer months) is just asking for problems you don't need.  so, grass growing vigorously?  ok to aerate.  100'F and dry for the next 3-4 weeks?  not ok to aerate.

2) if you are planning a turf renovation project, multiple passes with an aerator can do a good job of loosening up the soil.  in other cases, you may just be better off renting a slit-seeder and going at it with that.  

3) reminder, pre-emergent herbicides create a chemical "barrier" which results in the failure of annual weeds (like crabgrass) to either germinate or to develop proper roots.  however, using an aerator after application of a pre-emergent can poke holes in the "barrier" and additionally can expose dormant weed seeds.  for this reason, fall aeration between mid-August and mid-September is typically done, since it would not follow a springtime pre-emergent application.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks like Johnsongrass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update on the "elephant grass" - growing better than a weed!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG-20170718-171024-257246.jpg
Looks like Johnsongrass.
Wouldn't that be a hoot.  

Patience Ma'am!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't that be a hoot.  

Patience Ma'am!
It's an update on my trial plantings of Miscanthus X Giganteus as a privacy hedgerow, mentioned earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#41]
The local Walmart has all their plants on clearance, we scored 8- 4' Leyland Cypress trees for $6 each!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The local Walmart has all their plants on clearance, we scored 8- 4' Leyland Cypress trees for $6 each!
View Quote
I noticed some Walmart stores didn't have any outdoor plants this summer, even though they had a fully stocked garden center. I know sales can be slow, but it's like they completely blew it off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Not quite sure what to do on the left side of the garage in the picture.  I was thinking mulch with some boxwood bushes but the wife isn't a fan.  Long term we are thinking a nice patio behind the garage stepping up to a deck along the entire back of the house.  Any ideas?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#45]
We're in the beginning stages of re-arranging our backyard garden layout. This front, L-shaped garden is going to be replaced by St. Augustine. I have a couple of questions about doing it the right and easiest way. 

1. Would it be better to plant sod now, or wait until spring? We're in north Texas, DFW area, and still have a couple months of warm weather.
2. The area between the garden and the driveway is a combination of bermuda-grass and crabgrass. What's the best way to get rid of it, so that it won't screw up the new sod? Till it under? Spray it down with 2,4-D? Both? Something else?
3. At the back side of the current garden is a short retaining wall, about 5 inches or so. The property slopes down towards the driveway. What the best way to even out the current dirt step to make for a nice slope of grass?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Kind of destroyed the front yard moving in the new house. Grapes destroyed, strawberries destroyed, raspberries didn't like the transplant so they may be mostly dead.

So it's kind of going to be a blank slate.

In this pic, the line of tall Siberian elms will be cut down yet this fall,  and some more of the ash will be leaving.

I'd like to get grapes, be strawberries, blueberries, black berries going again. The issue is that the grapes, be strawberries, blueberries never grew worth a shit anyway.

I be will be trenching in irrigation lines.

I'm wondering if raised beds are the key, or what is the best way to start this again from scratch?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Here's where I'm at with my front lawn feature bed.  Just got the tree in today.  Going to take the rock out and make a kidney bean bed where the cord is.

What's the best/easiest way to go about this?  Was thinking weed cloth over the grass, mulch and the plastic edging but I want to do this right so looking for input.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top