Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 11:24:04 AM EDT
I'm asking here first rather than BYC because ARFCOM has never steered me wrong. In the process of putting together my material list and finishing the design of the 8x12 chicken coop that I will start building in 2 weeks. The coop will have electricity and I'm wanting an automatic door since we spend some weekends out of town during my boys baseball season. I would like for the chickens to be able to access the enclosed run during the day.....so I'm thinking an auto coop door with a timer would be the way to go. I would have neighbors stop by if they are able to check on them and grab any eggs they want, but the auto door just seems like a huge convenience.

So, am I Barking up the wrong tree? Is there a reason that I shouldn't want an auto door? If it's something that would make life easier, is there a specific brand I should be looking at??
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using the Cheeper Keeper for over a year now, and although it isn't cheap, it is very reliable! Works of a photo cell and opens and closes with great regularity so the chickens are always in at closing ... one year going on the original set of AA batteries.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the suggestion. Off to research.

Keep em coming.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Friend has one and loves it.
But my turkeys are a pain and won't stay in the coop if I don't personally go lock the door. They say screw this and fly up into trees.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I designed one, haven't put it on yet, but the circuitry works  when I play with it.

If you are a DIY electronics kind of guy, I could dig up the schematic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like a auto door on our coop but I dont have power to it and I am not going to trench and lay line out to it.  SO its been added to the girls chore list, one opens it and the other closes it.  

It gets forgotten once and a while.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
best thing I have ever done....          the cheapskate side of me made one out of a can opener it worked to let them out in the morning but ultimately it failed
I coughed up the $80 for the automatic chicken door motor from Amazon
its got the automatic switch built in to let the door up and down every morning and night
its simply plugged into a timer to go off once in the morning and once after dark

I built mine like a simple guillotine and it utilizes a plastic cutting board for a door that I drilled holes in to lighten it
it rides in a very simple wood "L" track on either side

the motor was $80 but not having to deal with chickens for the past 3 years has been priceless
I love mine

ETA: it even survived moving houses and building another chicken coop at the new house
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my Texas take on a solar powered chicken coop with auto sliding door.  Used a 20" linear actuator (200lb force) 12V from Missouri Wind and Solar to raise and lower by remote control inside ranch house--100ft away.  Coupled with my Foscam wireless camera I have not guillotined one yet. Have not done photo cell activator.

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's my Texas take on a solar powered chicken coop with auto sliding door.  Used a 20" linear actuator (200lb force) 12V from Missouri Wind and Solar to raise and lower by remote control inside ranch house--100ft away.  Coupled with my Foscam wireless camera I have not guillotined one yet. Have not done photo cell activator.

http://i63.tinypic.com/24ccpdy.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/2dr6jrr.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2yoptli.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/2mmr78.jpg
View Quote
I hope that closes somewhat slow. Interesting if not.

ETA: Thats a very nice setup!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using a door that looks exactly like the Cheeper Keeper suggested by low_tech for several years, although I purchased it through a poultry supply store (can't remember which one).  I have it configured to close using the photo sensor but open on a timer.  It was about the same cost as the Cheeper Keeper which is a little pricey.  My reasons for the automatic door were the same as yours and after a couple days of installation all the chickens figured out how to get in.  I added a wooden hinged door on the outside of the coop to improve predator protection which I use when someone is home to manage it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I designed one, haven't put it on yet, but the circuitry works  when I play with it.

If you are a DIY electronics kind of guy, I could dig up the schematic.
View Quote
Here is a quick pic of the board. Its runs off a daylight trigger, and 12VDC for the power source.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not close the coop door at all.  As long as the pen is relatively predator proof you do not need to close them in at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to ask this. If the run is secure, why do you need to close the coop door at night? I sure don't on mine. It is closeable but the only time I think I would is if it was getting crazy cold that night.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was going to ask this. If the run is secure, why do you need to close the coop door at night? I sure don't on mine. It is closeable but the only time I think I would is if it was getting crazy cold that night.
View Quote
If the run is secure, then there is no need for closing daily, but having a door to keep them in/out for whatever reason (like cleaning the coop).

I now freerange my birds, cut my feed bill DRAMATICALLY.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have a preditor problem do I just keep my door up unless for some reason I want them in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I free range within a partially fenced area  and have lost to predators, but according to the game cameras a whole new level of predators come out after dark.
Also want the chickens to roost at night without stress.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm loaded with predators- hawks, eagles, coyotes, fox, raccoons, mink, possum. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My set up is a coop that is fenced into an area approximately 300'x300'. The coop will also have a run with a roof that is attached. The plan is to allow the chickens into the run during daylight hours and then I get to decide when they get to "free range" the enclosed 300x300 area.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#19]
My coop door stays open 24/7/365.  The advantage of having my dog run and dog house outside the chicken coop and run, entirely enclosing it.

My Great Pyrenees/Lab mixes (Bonnie and Clyde) are excellent guard dogs!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought the best door design I could find, the Ador1. It cost me over $200. It worked great, just perfect for almost a year. Then it died, and it was under warranty so i contacted them multiple times through email and got no answer. I tried calling multiple times and no one answered.

So I had to spend another $200 and this time I just got the ruggedized ChickenGuard motor and tied it to the Ador door. If I had it to do all over again then I would get the Pullet Shut door. The design isn't as ideal as the Ador1, but it has been around longer and has a good reputation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's a really good idea.

Assuming of course, that a person's dogs will not decide it's fun to decapitate chickens who stick their heads through the fence.

Labs are horrible about this, and I've never figured out why.

Just guessing that the Great Pyrenees in your dogs overcomes the need to kill the animals for fun.  Those are amazing dogs.
View Quote
They haven't bothered them so far.

I just got 6 new chickens a couple weeks ago.  Just about ready to start laying (didn't want to mess with chicks).  One of the new ones got out of the chicken run and into the dog run.  Dogs didn't bother it at all.  It then got out of the dog run and pretty much free ranged the rest of the day.  I was on pins and needles that day since I had no idea how I was going to get it back into it's new home.

At dusk, it hopped the fence to the dog run, then tried to find a way into the chicken run.  I chased it around the chicken run to the now just opened chicken run door and in it went.  It had only been there about 5-6 hours, max and knew exactly where home was.  Pretty smart chicken. 
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought the best door design I could find, the Ador1. It cost me over $200. It worked great, just perfect for almost a year. Then it died, and it was under warranty so i contacted them multiple times through email and got no answer. I tried calling multiple times and no one answered.

So I had to spend another $200 and this time I just got the ruggedized ChickenGuard motor and tied it to the Ador door. If I had it to do all over again then I would get the Pullet Shut door. The design isn't as ideal as the Ador1, but it has been around longer and has a good reputation.
View Quote
After weeks of research and asking around......the pullet shut door is what I'm going to order. It seems they all have some issues over time, but the pullet shut seems to have the least from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top