Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 10:30:13 PM EDT
I have a hydrant that leaks from underground when left on. Is this something that can be fixed from above ground or will I most likely need to dig it up?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
They are made to be fixed from above ground. You can get a valve repair kit. Its a big rubber bullet and some O-rings. The bullet goes on the end of a metal rod that goes from the top operating handle down into the pipe. There are handy youtube videos on how to do the repair. You just have to find the kit for your specific unit. I think they ran me like $10.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I rebuilt ours from above, still leaked.  Bought a new one to replace it with.  Dug down and found threads leaking at an elbow, not the hydrant itself.  I've heard the drain can get blocked which can allow things to freeze and break.  When I put everything back together I took 2 5-gallon buckets and cut half of the bottom from each.  Inverted one over the hydrant and filled it with gravel.  Inverted the 2nd bucket and clocked it 180º from the 1st.  Zip tied some landscape fabric to the hydrant pipe to cover the buckets.  I've had ZERO issues with it 10 yrs later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
As a general rule if your hydrant leaks at the handle or the threading from the vertical pipe to the handle repairing it is simple, remove the hydrant handle with a couple of pipe wrenches replace the seals, new pipe tape and reinstall.

Water percolating from below ground is going to require excavating enough soil to get to the 90 degree elbow from your horizontal supply line.  It's either going to be a hole in one of the pipes or the elbow has failed.

We've got six of them around the ranch, every time one starts to leak I pray it's at the handle.

If you've got to dig down to fix the pipe leak, get the rebuild kit for the hydrant, since it's going to be off anyway it's a good time to rebuild it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I tried to do the repair from the top but it was still leaking. 

Looks like Ike I found the culprit!

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
That'll do it.

Wrap it in duct tape. It'll be ok

That is an unusual failure. Looks like it froze. Is it deep enough for your area?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
It is deep enough but it does look like it froze 

some of it might be man made damage though 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got two I need to dig up and fix... ugh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top