Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 6:29:38 AM EDT
As the title states, what DIY soil tests are accurate?  We currently have one of the electronic types with the three attached probes that you
stick in the soil, but I have a hard time believing that it's accurate.  What works?

We're doubling the garden this year, putting in 18 12x4 raised beds, a three-bin compost setup, and a 10x12 greenhouse.  Hoping to increase
our production by tailoring each bed's soil to the needs of each particular crop.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Most home test kits aren't worth the money or your time.  Contact your Ag Extension office, and they'll have sample bags you fill up and return to them.  They'll send it to a real lab and get you the results back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most home test kits aren't worth the money or your time.  Contact your Ag Extension office, and they'll have sample bags you fill up and return to them.  They'll send it to a real lab and get you the results back.
View Quote
Just sent them a couple of samples.  We were hoping to have a DIY kit as well to help us adjust the individual raised beds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted in that thread that I was going to post here. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would get a soil sample bag(s) from your local extension office, or order them from Midwest Laboratories. You will want an S3C analysis from them when submitting the order. 6-inch deep samples. There are many companies that you can work with. We send in 100's to this company every year in my line of work. Let me know if you need any help with interpretation of your results.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If a home soil test kit could be had, even for several thousand dollars, I bet MANY farmers out there would have them; yet every year hundreds of thousands of soil samples are sent in to laboratories from farms all across the country for a reason. No "home-level" or even "very expensive user-level" kit exists that will accurately determine what you want it to do...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out Elaine Ingham's videos on YouTube.  I think her answer to your queation would be a microscope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would get a soil sample bag(s) from your local extension office, or order them from Midwest Laboratories. You will want an S3C analysis from them when submitting the order. 6-inch deep samples. There are many companies that you can work with. We send in 100's to this company every year in my line of work. Let me know if you need any help with interpretation of your results.
View Quote
Thank you for the info and the offer.  We should have the results from UNH Cooperative Extension in about three weeks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If a home soil test kit could be had, even for several thousand dollars, I bet MANY farmers out there would have them; yet every year hundreds of thousands of soil samples are sent in to laboratories from farms all across the country for a reason. No "home-level" or even "very expensive user-level" kit exists that will accurately determine what you want it to do...
View Quote
This seems to be true.  Lots of test kits out there but it sounds like they're pretty inaccurate. It's a shame because it would be a very handy thing to have during the growing season.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out Elaine Ingham's videos on YouTube.  I think her answer to your queation would be a microscope.  
View Quote
Great stuff.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]
What are you testing for?  pH?  Soil moisture?  ??
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, pretty much what everyone has said.

You won't get what you're needing from a home kit.  

If I were doing raised beds. I'd either fill them with a known mix (that doesn't just mean one mix. You can figure out what you've got in there if you know what you're mixing together to get your growing medium)  or I'd do EXACTLY the same mixture of stuff in each raised bed, then I'd sample from each bed, mix it all together, and get ONE sample from all of that, and send it off, marked as a veggie garden.

Our soil tests are less than $10 at the extension office. Yours are likely not a great amount more (though I could be wrong of course) from your extension service.  

It's worth it.
View Quote
We sent our samples to UNH Cooperative Extension for testing.  $17 each, and the reports should take two or three weeks.  What we were looking for was something as a supplemental way to test during the season but it seems from reading the comments here and the reviews of various products online that there really isn't anything available that's likely to be accurate.  

Last year we planted in plastic covered raised rows in a 30' x 40' plot that we prepared by tilling in about 8 yards of organic compost.  Last fall we doubled the length of the garden to 90', and tilled in partially composted horse manure.  Because the two areas have had different treatment, we sent in a sample from each (6 samples taken 6" down and mixed for each area).

The plan is to build the beds, "double dig" with a spade and fork, then add some compost and amendments in each as needed based on the test results.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wonderful job amending your soil!  

I would be interested in knowing the test results and how they differ after those two different treatments.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We sent our samples to UNH Cooperative Extension for testing.  $17 each, and the reports should take two or three weeks.  What we were looking for was something as a supplemental way to test during the season but it seems from reading the comments here and the reviews of various products online that there really isn't anything available that's likely to be accurate.  

Last year we planted in plastic covered raised rows in a 30' x 40' plot that we prepared by tilling in about 8 yards of organic compost.  Last fall we doubled the length of the garden to 90', and tilled in partially composted horse manure.  Because the two areas have had different treatment, we sent in a sample from each (6 samples taken 6" down and mixed for each area).

The plan is to build the beds, "double dig" with a spade and fork, then add some compost and amendments in each as needed based on the test results.
Wonderful job amending your soil!  

I would be interested in knowing the test results and how they differ after those two different treatments.  
I'll send you a PM when the results arrive.  If you don't hear from me in about three weeks weeks give me a nudge on IM.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#18]
What would be really interesting is if you picked up a cheapie home test kit too, and compared the results side by side.  Might prove us all wrong!  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can post it here.  Others would benefit too.

And... I will forget.  

I have no mind anymore, even for things I care about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll send you a PM when the results arrive.  If you don't hear from me in about three weeks weeks give me a nudge on IM.
You can post it here.  Others would benefit too.

And... I will forget.  

I have no mind anymore, even for things I care about.
I'm the same these days.  Maybe I had too much fun in the 80s. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What would be really interesting is if you picked up a cheapie home test kit too, and compared the results side by side.  Might prove us all wrong!  
View Quote
I think I will buy one of the chemical type kits as an experiment.  I'll also definitely try our little "stick it in the ground meter" to see if it's even close. 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#22]
@rca2222

Did you get your results back yet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@rca2222

Did you get your results back yet?
View Quote
I did, and have been meaning to post...

The Ferry Morse El Cheapo plug-in-the-ground meter showed 6.0ph and "Not Fertile".

The soil test results from UNH were surprising.  It turns out we over-composted last year, resulting in really high numbers, or perhaps "too fertile".
- PH                  6.8
- Calcium          1758.6 ppm          (optimal 800-1200)
- Magnesium     296 ppm              (optimal 60-120)
- Potassium       355 ppm              (optimal 170-280)
- Phosphorus     194 ppm              (optimal 30-50)
- Organic Matter   7.88%

I spoke with the Cooperative extension rep and she recommended to do no fertilizing this year. The potato beds will benefit from PH at 6.0, so we need to adjust in those areas. 

Had we relied on the Ferry Morse meter we would have added compost or fertilizer to the entire garden and made the problem worse.

@Kitties-with-Sigs
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's very interesting.

Did they give you any kind of nitrogen analysis, or are they assuming the pH will be the tell?

ETA:  Reading back through your existing amendments..

You plan to double dig the bed.  What that will do is dilute (somewhat) your mix, and that will change your current standing for some of that analysis.

That's not a bad thing.

And you can adjust on the fly with liquid fertilizers (even manure tea, if you're trying to go organic, but you have to make this in advance) for many things.  

However, "over-fertile" is USUALLY not a problem.

I'm still just interested in the N level. With all that manure, I would assume it's okay except..you put it on last year, and Nitrogen leaches, and you're on the base end of the scale.

You said:  "made the problem worse" and I ASSUME by that you meant you would have gone the wrong direction.

BUT....are you saying you had an actual plant growth/development/fruiting problem last year?

I'm guessing that's not what you meant by "problem" but I think I better ask just in case.
View Quote
There was nothing specific in the results with regard to nitrogen.  I don't know enough abut the relevant chemistry to say that they presumed that PH was an indicator.

Making the problem worse was indeed in reference to fertilizing based on a false indication.

Last year we did well.  Melons, pumpkins, bush beans and tomatoes were the big producers.  We had too much to deal with so we gave bags and bags of the stuff away to neighbors...I think we became the vegetable distributing equivalent of Jehova's Witnesses in our AO.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Any home kit or probe kit isn't accurate.  The labs are the only way to do a paste and titration test unless you have one hell of a chemistry set.  If you need to know, pay the $400 bucks and have it sent off to a lab.  A local ag co-op may be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any home kit or probe kit isn't accurate.  The labs are the only way to do a paste and titration test unless you have one hell of a chemistry set.  If you need to know, pay the $400 bucks and have it sent off to a lab.  A local ag co-op may be able to help you out.
View Quote
Our local cooperative extension does a test for $17 and provides a contact person to help you during the season.  I was just hoping for a simple day to day testing kit or device for quick spot checks in the beds as a supplement to the real testing that we did at the beginning of the season.  I've given up on that thought in favor of doing real tests before planting and after harvest / before cover crop.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Chemistry:  This is WAY OVERSIMPLIFIED and DOWN AND DIRTY...but..

Nitrogen is acidifying.

You can ALMOST think of Nitrogen as acid.

So the fact that you have a slightly high pH  (not much.  6.5 is considered relatively optimal for many garden plants) --Do you know the pH scale?  7 is the middle/neutral (scale runs 0 to 14) but 7 is generally too high for most garden plants.  

What happens is that certain nutrients are not available unless the pH level is within certain ranges (this is a chemistry thing, and has to do with how the soil colloids/particles hold onto minerals or do not hold onto them, sort of...jeez this is so broad as to be almost inaccurate)  For the soil to release the mineral (chemists would kill me here) there has to be a certain range of acidity in the soil...so the chemical reactions can take place.

So when you see that a plant needs a certain pH range, that's almost ALWAYS why.

At a pH of 6, we usually need to add a little lime (basic) to bring the pH up a bit where I live.

You've got it pretty high.  don't know exactly what components added up to that, but getting it down to 6.5 MIGHT be useful to you, depending on what you want to grow.

It's an easy search.  Just google what plant you are growing, and ask the question..."Best pH for squash"....

You'll get an answer.

If you search for all the things you want to grow, and make a list, you'll know how close you are.

One of the EASY ways to correct a soil pH that is slightly high, is to add some acid in the form of nitrogen.  If you see "miracid" for instance (that's miracle grow's acidifying fertilizer) you will see that it's something like 30-10-10.

Those numbers, IN ORDER are ALWAYS Nitrogen, Phorphorus, and Potassium (N, P, K)

So you will see that Miracid, an acidifying fertilizer, is MOSTLY nitrogen.

Certain nutrients are not available to the plant (I'm not even going to approach the chemistry of this) unless there is enough acid in the soil.  

EXAMPLE:  Chlorosis (Iron deficiency in plants) is one of those issues, and is very common in ornamentals.  Less common in veggie gardens unless the grower is using a lot of undecomposed mulch on the garden. (Decomposition of mulch requires a lot of nitrogen, so it sucks the nitrogen out of the root zone, and there's not enough for the plants....sometimes. )  With Chlorosis, the IRON is not available to the plant unless the soil has enough available nitrogen (and hydrogen, but forget about that)  ("Not available" means it can't get released fro the soil so the plant can take it up, OR the plant itself can't grab onto it because of how the plant is chemically constructed, and what ions are hanging out on the tiniest roots)

Okay have I thoroughly confused you?

Basically if I see an acidic soil, I think, "Okay, plenty of N availability."

If I see a basic soil, I think, "what's the nitrogen analysis in the soil test?  is there enough?"

I'm sort of surprised that you didn't get one.

You might ask your extension agent about that.  

I'm interested in why that was not included, as OUR veggie garden analysis always includes basic NPK spectrum, and does NOT include as many trace elements as you have in yours.  

Different strokes for different labs, maybe.

But Nitrogen is a very basic--and perhaps the most commonly amended--soil nutrient.

Let me just say...I LOVE soil scienc0e--it was one of my favorite parts of school.  But I am NOT a chemist.  Any decent chemist would smoke most of what I am saying with his/her understanding of how it works, if they'd had a soils class. (How soil reacts to chemistry is a whole different thing, and how plants take up those elements is a whole different thing.)

I know just enough to squint my eyes at the numbers  and maybe make corrections.
View Quote
Thank you for the explanation.  I did some physics and engineering in college, but thankfully no chemistry .

One point you made above really caught my attention, chlorosis.  It has been a very wet May here, so the new raised beds are not yet in place.  Our plan was to install them, then add weed cloth to the walkways and cover it with fresh bark mulch from a local sawmill.  The bed frames will be dug down below ground level a few inches to level them, but not enough to form any real barrier to the soil along side.  The soil within will be double dug.  Do you think the surrounding mulch will cause chlorosis within the beds?

I'll send you a PM with a link to the full results.  There are a lot of recommendations within them, but the representative I spoke with essentially told me to ignore all of it.  Her only concerns were for potatoes and blueberries.  She recommended adjusting the ph down for potatoes.  For blueberries she advised that we establish a remote dedicated bed, then spend the next two years getting the soil chemistry right, then plant in year three.  Essentially she told me that we could only expect to reduce ph by about .5/year.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No on the pathways.  Do whatever you want with those.  If the roots are not extending into them, don't worry about it.  Mulch at will.

I agree on the blueberries.

They need their own planet.

However, her focus on only that and potatoes?  

It's okay.  She's obviously got her stuff together and is helping.  Good.

Give me a bit to look at your results. I'm running hard this weekend, and will focus on them as soon as possible.  In the meantime, carry on as planned. You can always amend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the explanation.  I did some physics and engineering in college, but thankfully no chemistry .

One point you made above really caught my attention, chlorosis.  It has been a very wet May here, so the new raised beds are not yet in place.  Our plan was to install them, then add weed cloth to the walkways and cover it with fresh bark mulch from a local sawmill.  The bed frames will be dug down below ground level a few inches to level them, but not enough to form any real barrier to the soil along side.  The soil within will be double dug.  Do you think the surrounding mulch will cause chlorosis within the beds?

I'll send you a PM with a link to the full results.  There are a lot of recommendations within them, but the representative I spoke with essentially told me to ignore all of it.  Her only concerns were for potatoes and blueberries.  She recommended adjusting the ph down for potatoes.  For blueberries she advised that we establish a remote dedicated bed, then spend the next two years getting the soil chemistry right, then plant in year three.  Essentially she told me that we could only expect to reduce ph by about .5/year.
No on the pathways.  Do whatever you want with those.  If the roots are not extending into them, don't worry about it.  Mulch at will.

I agree on the blueberries.

They need their own planet.

However, her focus on only that and potatoes?  

It's okay.  She's obviously got her stuff together and is helping.  Good.

Give me a bit to look at your results. I'm running hard this weekend, and will focus on them as soon as possible.  In the meantime, carry on as planned. You can always amend.
Thank you sir.  We really appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top