Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 9:26:30 PM EDT
I have a huge oak that I had cut down. I've chopped it up into 18" long rounds and now I need to split them. I already have an 8 pound sledge and wedges. But I want a nice splitting maul also. So what's  a good one under $75.00 ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Red oak? 8lb maul no wedges unless you got a lot of knots. Red splits very easy when green and takes forever to dry. Have fun
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red oak? 8lb maul no wedges unless you got a lot of knots. Red splits very easy when green and takes forever to dry. Have fun
View Quote
Water Oak, which is a type of red oak. So I'd say yes.
I'm trying to decide between the old time rounded potato shaped maul or the newer style such as fiskers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Fiskers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I recommend the true temper.  I have two and my son and I have split many chords of wood with them.

The angles on the blade are just right.  Not all mauls are ground at optimal angles.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper-8-lbs-Forged-Steel-Wood-Chopper-s-Maul/3712624
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Fiskar and am quite happy with it's performance.

ETA  I split about six cords of wood last year with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:32:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If you can swing an 8lb maul Fiskars Iso Core 8 lb Maul, 36 Inch

I find the handle does work and helps with fatigue.  It did need a better edge right away.

If not the 2nd choice Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Cut all the firewood you need then go rent a gas power hydraulic log split.  Split all the wood in an afternoon and return the splitter to the rental place.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cut all the firewood you need then go rent a gas power hydraulic log split.  Split all the wood in an afternoon and return the splitter to the rental place.
View Quote
amen

if you gotta, go fiskers
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I burn about 6-8 cords a year, and have had probably a dozen different splitting mauls over the years.  This one is by far the best.  The handle is replaceable, unlike some of the synthetic ones, and wood to me just feels better.   I've just barely had to touch up the edge so far.   I split mainly Red Oak and Red Maple.

Stihl maul
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love my Fiskers.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Water Oak, which is a type of red oak. So I'd say yes.
I'm trying to decide between the old time rounded potato shaped maul or the newer style such as fiskers.
View Quote
Until last year I used the old time "potato" shaped as you called it.
Now I use a long handle Fiskers and I will never pick up the old maul ever again except to get rid of it.
I did have to sharpen the Fiskers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know what mine is it's 6#'s and does ok. Then I have an 8# maul with the ears I think it's a Plum. But I don't ever use it.  I built a hydraulic splitter for the tractor many years ago and my wife rolls the wood to it while I'm cutting. Then I set on the stump and split it and throw the split pieces into one of the other tractor buckets while my wife plays musical tractors.

For smoker wood that's twelve inches or so I use an old double bit Plum axe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Weiterging Splitting Axe has served me well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a Fiskars 8# maul last year, have used it quite a bit.

Was splitting some stuff last night and I noticed this:

I'd purchased it off Amazon less than a year ago.  My wife is already talking to Fiskars about replacing it.

Given the location of the crack it looks like the hole for the bolt was enough of a stress riser to cause the failure, either that or there was a hidden flaw in the metal in that area.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm all about the fiskars too, performance is top notch price is great too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top