Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Update: We got the frontier, and apparently were on the end of the line so our internet is shit.Our max download speed was clocked at 1mb, but the connection is sketchy. Exploring other options now. Their is a tower less than 2 miles away that has internet over radio waves, were going to try that and see how that works. If it doesnt get any better we may look into satellite.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask your new neighbors what they use.

My provider does not advertise so who would know they are there?

However, I am very happy with their service.  It is a line of sight antenna, looks like a sat dish but is pointed at a tower.

It's pretty popular in mid west rural areas.
View Quote
This!

When we moved out into the sticks, my wife did what she thought was right and ordered Wildblue, a satellite provider.  Great speeds!!!  Until you hit the 10 GB data limit.  Which, by the by, came around week 2 of that little experiment. 

Problem was that we had terrible cell phone service so was getting cell phone signal via an internet extender.  Hit the data limits, cell phone calls became "wah, wah, wah, wah"  in other words unintelligible gibberish.

Using this and the fact that the internet cell phone extender was actually interfering with 911 cell phone calls, we got out of the 2 year contract after less than 3 weeks.  Fuck Wildblue!

Went to a local provider that our neighbor recommended and been with them since.  They broadcast over antennas mounted on local water towers, one of which is 2.5 miles east of our location.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update: We got the frontier, and apparently were on the end of the line so our internet is shit.Our max download speed was clocked at 1mb, but the connection is sketchy. Exploring other options now. Their is a tower less than 2 miles away that has internet over radio waves, were going to try that and see how that works. If it doesnt get any better we may look into satellite.
View Quote
I had to send Frontier a picture of the ped in front of my property to show them they serviced my area.  Then they came back with "all ports are filled".  Just as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well maybe some good news for those of us stuck with Exede. Viasat is due to launch the new satellite in June if the labor protests don't interfere further. As it stands right now they have more subscribers than the current satellite can handle. The viasat 2 will take the majority of the traffic in the southeast/east coast and free up more bandwidth on viasat 1. So speeds should increase. The changes should happen by last quarter of 2017.  Hopefully.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Little update, got the Xpressnet, which is over the air and its about 5-10x faster than the frontier. Thankfully we can be somewhat connected to the world again
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top