Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 10:21:16 PM EDT
How do you store your extra seeds? I've got a few extra packs that aren't opened that I'd like to keep but not sure how you are supposed to keep them, if you are even supposed to keep them or does it really even matter. I mainly just didn't want to throw them away and waste some money
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How do you store your extra seeds? I've got a few extra packs that aren't opened that I'd like to keep but not sure how you are supposed to keep them, if you are even supposed to keep them or does it really even matter. I mainly just didn't want to throw them away and waste some money
View Quote

Freezer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Freezer.
View Quote
This, but some varieties just don't keep well long term.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheap tupperware in the refrigerator in the original foil lined containers. Seed viability varies. Most stuff is good for at least a year, but some stuff drops off faster. I've also had stuff germinate better after a year in the fridge. Stuff like native bluebonnets and callirhoe store pretty well in the freezer in just regular plastic or cloth bulk bags, we've gone multiple years with those.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My guys came to me yesterday and told me they finally seeded the last package of tropical milkweed we bought FOUR YEARS AGO and the germination is damn near 100% still.

I bought another 40,000 seeds for them way back in December, they haven't even touched them and I'm 2/3 of the way through my season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top