Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2017 12:38:47 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I have lurked here for a long time and figured I would get your recommendations for what I want to do.

I want to turn our field that, last year was covered in Johnson Grass, into usable pasture.

Background:

Last year we built a house on a little over 9 acres.  Part of our property is tillable ground, and the field portion that we own is in part of a field that is about 12 acres, shared with family.

I want to turn the field into suitable pasture for the future grazing of animals, from chickens to hopefully one day a few head of cattle.

While we were building, we were not able to keep the field in rental ground and the Johnson grass took over completely.  We mowed and burned a portion of the field towards the beginning of fall last year, but the seeds had already been spread.

Do I need to let it grow and round up the whole thing?  Or can I turn it over and plant whatever seed I'm going to put down and hopefully choke out the Johnson grass?  I have farmers in the family that use roundup as their answer to everything (and that may end up being the route taken for the majority of the field since it isn't all mine) but I am looking for any options so I can get a jump on this.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Johnson grass is TOUGH to get rid of. Plowing will not do it; that will worsen the problem. Johnson grass has a root rhizome that is very proliferous. By tilling the field you will chop-up and spread that rhizome and you will end up with 20 times the amount of Johnson grass.

If you plan to graze cattle Johnson grass is actually a good forage; that is why it was brought here. Unfortunately, it is an invasive species that is VERY hard to control, therefore I wouldn't give it the chance. Kill it with fire ASAP; AKA, talk to a local agronomist and see what their recommendation is. It depends on when you want to do it, what plants are currently in the pasture etc. Unfortunately, Roundup is the most likely option for control. You may have to hit it with a cocktail of chemicals otherwise you'll end up with everything else dead and Johnson grass flourishing in your now barren pasture.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Johnson grass can be a pain. I have it here and it takes over in some places. You can use it for hay, but I've heard contradictory things about it. A farmer down the road round bales it. Someone else told me it will kill livestock if eaten a certain way. IIRC, he said after it starts turning brown it produces some kind of acid that's toxic. But if cut while green its ok. I really don't know if that's true, but it might be worth looking into.

My horse will eat it if its mixed with regular hay, or she will eat it green if she has already eaten everything else in the field first.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.

To make life easier, should I round up this spring when it starts to grow and then hit it again for anything that didn't die later in the season...and then start plant this fall?  Hate to put it off but it sounds like there isn't much of an option.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Sodium chlorate is what you seek.
A granular non-selective herbicide that will kill whatever you put it on.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can build a pig pen around it and give hogs time they will kill it. But other than that I don't know of anything that will kill it that will let other grass grow back. Mow and spray spray and mow. That's the best advice I can give you. Roundup with TVC seems to work the best here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Best solution in my opinion is to put that 12 acres in soybeans this year.  This will give you the opportunity to spray the johnson grass with roundup, while still having a chance to have a living cover that will net you some income.

Ask the farmers in the family if they will spray/plant it for you.  Since they are doing you a favor, I would ask for just a small amount of rent.  Say, $100 an acre and they should be able to make a profit while doing you a service.

You will need to keep after the field boundaries with a backpack sprayer or the johnson grass will survive there and creep back in very quickly.

That is a tough weed and you will probably always have a problem with it unless you are really active about getting it killed on field boundaries and in fence rows.

You need to spray it small but it needs to be over a certain temperature or the plant will not actively take it up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sodium chlorate is what you seek.
A granular non-selective herbicide that will kill whatever you put it on.
View Quote
Not a workable solution for 12 acres.

And needlessly toxic compared to roundup.  Also will not allow for a living cover to be planted and help choke out late sprouting weeds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Best solution in my opinion is to put that 12 acres in soybeans this year.  This will give you the opportunity to spray the johnson grass with roundup, while still having a chance to have a living cover that will net you some income.

Ask the farmers in the family if they will spray/plant it for you.  Since they are doing you a favor, I would ask for just a small amount of rent.  Say, $100 an acre and they should be able to make a profit while doing you a service.

You will need to keep after the field boundaries with a backpack sprayer or the johnson grass will survive there and creep back in very quickly.

That is a tough weed and you will probably always have a problem with it unless you are really active about getting it killed on field boundaries and in fence rows.

You need to spray it small but it needs to be over a certain temperature or the plant will not actively take it up.
View Quote
I'm with this guy... Trying to manage it as pasture for pasture is near impossible.   If all you're feeding is cattle, they'll eat it fine though it's not the most desirable.

I'd plant it to corn or beans and let those crops shade it out (along with chemical treatments) for a couple years and then plant a desirable pasture or hay mix.

For fence rows.  Krovar and Oust mix will kill everything for the year. Viewpoint and EsplanAde mix do as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you can build a pig pen around it and give hogs time they will kill it. But other than that I don't know of anything that will kill it that will let other grass grow back. Mow and spray spray and mow. That's the best advice I can give you. Roundup with TVC seems to work the best here.
View Quote
You can spray roundup, seed grass, and the new grass will come up fine. Roundup has no soil activity.

The problem is the 'hard seed' Johnsongrass that will come up as well.  If he plants Roundup Ready soybeans, he can spray again. When the beans have canopied and kill late emerging grass with chemical and then shade.

Interesting side note....

Persistant, repeated tillage is a good way to kill plants that grow from a rhizome.

Make them exhaust their stores re-growing.

It isn't cost effective though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can spray roundup, seed grass, and the new grass will come up fine. Roundup has no soil activity.

The problem is the 'hard seed' Johnsongrass that will come up as well.  If he plants Roundup Ready soybeans, he can spray again. When the beans have canopied and kill late emerging grass with chemical and then shade.

Persistant, repeated tillage is a good way to kill plants that grow from a rhizome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roundup will beat it back but will not kill it in one season.  There are a few granulated herbicides that will kill it, but you will have a residual effects on other grasses.
The TVC additive helps here tremendously but you have to keep after it.
The reason hogs are so good is they love the rhizomes and fresh shoots.
Roundup is not nearly as bad for the soil as the arsenic based selective herbicides they use on the golf courses.  Like the MSMA.

http://extension.psu.edu/pests/weeds/control/johnsongrass-and-shattercane-control-an-integrated-approach
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to discuss options with family tomorrow.  It's going to suck but it will be worth it to get it beat back and get some good grass growing. I'd like to start tractoring chickens next year.  So I'm hoping to be able to get something planted this fall.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Another thing you have to be aware of is that tiling/mowing Johnson grass will leave bits/pieces of rhizomes and seed on your equipment, and driving from one field to the next will help to disperse it.

You know what happens next.

And under stressful conditions - J/G can/will produce prussic acid which can be fatal to livestock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top