Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2017 7:34:36 PM EDT
Hey guys I would like to set up a solar rig for my newly built chicken coop. I would like to have the system run led light for some hours after sun goes down and maybe jist before sun rise. Also, I would like to run a fan of some type. I've seen solar attic fan kits, I've seen panels and controllers. Im just inexperienced in this so maybe someone who knows how to rig this well can help me find the right plug and play pieces.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing is you need to decide what all you want to run and what it's load will be.  Figure out what lights and fan you want to use and how long you want to run them.  From there you can work backwards on sizing a system to run those items.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
These are pretty handy timers that run off 12v DC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WR0ELCO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

You can find them on ebay for $5 or $6 delivered if you are OK with a bit longer delivery time. $9-$10 if you want Prime 2 day.

I used one for controlling inverter on/off times for LED christmas lights out by the equipment shed powered by the solar/battery system out there.  If memory serves, it pulls maybe 0.1 watts running & off, 0.5 watts running & on.  Good flexibility for on/off programming including variable run times by day of the week.  They claim the contacts are good for 10 amps.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top