Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 9:30:40 PM EDT
Hey y'all, at some point...soonish I'm planning on getting a kratky hydroponic system set up. It seems to be the most simple and easiest system, and thus the best way to get into hydroponics. From my research I've gotten just about everything figured out except for lighting. In my room I have a south-slightly east facing window and fairly large window seat. I figure I'll set it up here to get some extra natural light. Last spring I got a hydrofarms 2 foot T5 light system to start seeds with. What other lights do I need for growing lettuce, spinach, and possibly micro greens and what is the most economic way to get it? (I'm pretty strapped for extra cash currently as I recently came across some too good to pass up deals) I've done some reading on lights but they just leave me really confused on the best thing as far as value, how many different varieties of lights, and different light spectrums. I figure I can pick up a few lights now, and use them plus natural light to grow lettuce indoors over the summer, then pick up another light this fall to supplement more over the winter. I really have no idea if this would work. Any info would be awesome, thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you can do $1 bases and $1 LED bulbs. It takes 1 bulb per lettuce plant (known through experience). Its also a PITA to wire it all up, but doable, and it works. With the LED, you get a very low power bill, but you have to have each bulb over a plant.

I just bought a pair of these:
They are bright...

Going to have it all setup here this coming week for my onion starts. If I like them, I'll get more for our indoor greens we want to do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Google 'marijuana farm lighting'. They seem to have it down pat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google 'marijuana farm lighting'. They seem to have it down pat.
View Quote

That stuff is very, very expensive.

OP, why not buy a couple more 2ft T5 lights? The hydrofarms ones chain together, right? Put whatever bulbs in them now, experiment with the specialized ones as you have more money to play with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I use these listed below.  Plain 100w led flood lights. A mix of cool white and warm bulbs. Its easy to find an auction of 5 of them for less then $100.  The ones that come with the plugs make them easier to wire up then the bare wire ones.  

Whats nice about these is that if your plans change you can use them around the house cause they are blinding when mounted on the house overlooking the back yard.  I actually replaced a couple that I was using outdoors for 50w models as I couldn't see to walk up the stairs to the deck with the lights on

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j077rxbof600zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F5X-100W-Cool-White-Flood-Light-LED-Outdoor-Garden-Landscape-Spot-Lamp-SMD-110V-%2F272096491685%3Fhash%3Ditem3f5a36f8a5:g:KT8AAOSwKtlWjIjG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top