Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 4:56:50 PM EDT
My wife and I purchased our property in September 2016. I have been busy working since. I thought I would post here for posterity.

We also announced that we were having a second son at the same time. He was born February 11th.

There is about an 1/2-1 acre in pine trees. There are 13 acres total. 5 pasture, 5 that is pecan trees, fruit trees, grass. The rest is lawn.  

Alot of the stuff you see in these pictures has been cleaned up since these pictures were taken. The fence in the last picture has been removed, it is being turned into a grape trellis.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the first things I did was till a spot for the new garden. I wanted to utilize the false seed bed method. I had a soil test done from samples all over the property. I tilled and then added lime and fertilizer here going by the results.  

I then took a gamble and used two year old hay for mulch. I am hoping that there are no herbicides still active in it.

My son and I also planted fruit trees. There are 6 apple, 2 pear, 3 peach, 2 plum, and a fig tree. I could not find a good source for grapes, so I do not have grape vines yet.

I have also been attempting to grow my own seedlings this year. The lights I purchased don't give out a wide enough light pattern and some of my plants are leggy. The asparagus didn't germinate at all. Not sure why not. There is broccoli, cauliflower, watermelon, and 6 different pepper varieties. I forgot to start my tomatoes some how. I am starting them tonight. All other vegetables will be directly seeded.

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I got a Husqvarna VTH 22v46 for free from my grandfather's estate. I hope to get his Ford 4600 tractor soon, but the lawnmower is getting the job done.

I had wanted to mulch the garden with wood chips, but could not find a source. It seems that most tree services in south Georgia do not use chippers. I finally found a source about 40 miles away. I shoveled a load by hand into my truck to take it home and see how it works. I mulched the blueberry bushes and fruit trees I recently planted with it. I hope to take a trailer and get more chips soon.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Flat land. 

That must be niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking at that pic of the garden spot... unless those evergreens are on the north side, they will NOT be good at anything other than shading your garden and cutting yield. 

Something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Good eye. There are on the northwest side. The evergreens will only effect light the last couple hours of the day. Which will actually be good here when it is 100 degrees every day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice OP, look forward to seeing more!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I always forget to take pictures. Spring is officially here and temps are hitting 80's everyday, so Spinach, lettuce etc. probably won't make it much longer. I'll try to take more pictures this weekend. Everything is green. It's great.

It's been a mild winter. The leaves on the garlic are turning brown. Do you think I should pull them now? Planted in October.

Strawberries. It's a little late for these here but we will see.

Chickens. Turns out I ended up with 4 Roosters and 4 Hens. 3 Roosters for sale. Going to get more hens from the same batch next week.

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]

I have a rabbit problem. Time for fence around the garden.

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Built a nest box for the chickens.

Garden is growing like crazy and the weeds too. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You're living the dream! Congratulations on your property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top