Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2017 11:10:22 AM EDT
What's hatching?
10 Khaki Campbell Ducks
Moved just under a year ago from city to rural.  Long dream of mine and the wife's.  We took this time to ease into things getting to know the area, house and land.  So this is the 2nd "Farm" animal\s we're getting.

Goal with all our livestock choices is an easy to raise and care for breed that produces what we like to eat and that we can break even with by selling or trading the extra they produce.

Choice was made to go with ducks because they seem to be easier than chickens according to just about everyone we've talked with and the resources we've researched.

Found a local breeder of Khaki Campbells via Craigslist she hatches her own and agreed to pop out 10 of them for me.

Why 10?  Well our family averages about 4 eggs a day.  The 10 are a straight run so may include male and female.  I hope to get at least 4 females and if the rest are male then we'll meat locker all but one of the males.

I'm using this as my feed plan: http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?CustID=2395322

Here's my setup so far.  I need to a bit more to do tonight and I pick them up tomorrow.  I've been monitoring the temp of the brooder for 12 hours now and things are looking good.

Here's the picture from the breeder of the ducklings she's hatched so far this season.  She'll have 10 new hatched by tomorrow afternoon.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Placeholder.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ducks are good food. Duck eggs are also good food. Ducks (like chickens) eat bugs that are bad for your garden, plus produce shit that is good for your garden.

I imagine an ideal setup would be a pen that allows them to roam around a garden without actually getting to your plants.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The biggest issue with ducks and eggs is the seasonality of it, at least up here. They produce a bunch in the spring/early summer and that is about it.

Also, every time we fry a duck egg it smells horrible, and tastes just as bad. Fine in baked goods, just not as a fried egg or omelet. Weird.

Ducks are better at converting vegetation to meat/eggs than chickens.
Ducks are GREAT at de-bugging the garden.
Ducks LOVE tomatoes.

Ducks also REQUIRE a bath. They have to get their beaks fully submerged to clear out their nasals.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The biggest issue with ducks and eggs is the seasonality of it, at least up here. They produce a bunch in the spring/early summer and that is about it.

Also, every time we fry a duck egg it smells horrible, and tastes just as bad. Fine in baked goods, just not as a fried egg or omelet. Weird.
View Quote
We should be good here for eggs year round.  The breed is also more egg producing than most.

I tried the family with duck eggs before this.  We got free muscovy eggs for over a month from a friend who didn't like them.  Everyone thought they tasted just like chicken eggs at this house.

Baking with them was amazing.  Pancakes were so fluffy they almost floated off the pan.

Cooking the duck eggs we learned they do need a lower longer heat.  Try and cook them scrambled, omelet or sunny side up at the same pace as chicken eggs and you'll get more rubbery eggs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Duck eggs have a very different and much stronger flavor, when compared to chicken eggs.

We ate them for a while, but tired of them, and I haven't had one in many years.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We should be good here for eggs year round.  The breed is also more egg producing than most.

I tried the family with duck eggs before this.  We got free muscovy eggs for over a month from a friend who didn't like them.  Everyone thought they tasted just like chicken eggs at this house.

Baking with them was amazing.  Pancakes were so fluffy they almost floated off the pan.

Cooking the duck eggs we learned they do need a lower longer heat.  Try and cook them scrambled, omelet or sunny side up at the same pace as chicken eggs and you'll get more rubbery eggs.
View Quote
Interesting. I wasn't aware there were duck breeds that were better egg layers.

I like to hard boil the duck eggs and make deviled eggs for company. It always gets a 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Duck eggs have a very different and much stronger flavor, when compared to chicken eggs.

We ate them for a while, but tired of them, and I haven't had one in many years.
View Quote
Yes, very rich flavor.  Excellent on sammiches with Miracle Whip,
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I"ve always found the hardest thing about preparing duck for butchery is getting the little sailor suit off..
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I"ve always found the hardest thing about preparing duck for butchery is getting the little sailor suit off..
View Quote
Aw, phooey!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few khakis and they don't pay any better that the chickens. Also, the don't lay in a nest so everyday is an Easter egg hunt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife got 4 tiny ducks from Tractor Supply when we moved to our house out in the country last spring.  They all looked basically the same at that point so we didn't know what kind they were or if they were male or female for several months.  Turns out 2 seem to be Rouen? males and the other two are all white, one male and one female.  I'm not sure what kind the all white ones are.  We get one egg a day from the one female of the bunch, and have throughout most of the ND winter even.  The eggs are usually a bit bigger than a jumbo size chicken egg from the store.  To me they taste better than the eggs from the store, more like regular farm eggs we would get from our neighbors chickens growing up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife uses ducks eggs for baking, very rich. Ducks are vile creatures. Eat and crap.

ETA we have a 1 eyed khaki camplell that rapes EVERYTHING that moves. From ducks 1/2 its size to 10+ lbers!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
My best explanation of these guys after one day is they are cute little sponges that poop a bunch.

We're enjoying them though.  Picked up some Niacin from Walmart and some Apple Cider Vinegar.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]
So they make a little "put\squirt" sound when they poop.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#18]
First cage cleaning.  The water trap I put in the brooder worked well keeping the mess to a minimum.  Man they grow fast.

One tip is to keep their butt away from the food when they're drinking and away from the water when they're eating.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Had 18 ducks, and plan on getting more. Fox and coons really like to eat them.

Make sure you keep them with plenty of water and they will make a clean pool dirty in about 10 minutes.  I had no problem with my ducks laying year round, had khakis, pekins, and muscoveys. Though out of the 6 khakis I bought, 5 were drakes .

Also they really like the leaves of broccoli plants and anything that remotely looks like lettuce. Keep them out of the garden.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Brooder Cam installed.

Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Rub a Dub Dub, Ducks in the Tub....

A week old now.  First time in water.  I did 6 then 5 in the tub.  
As soon as their butts hit the water they poop.

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Tip #2 - Keep their feet out of the water for a cleaner cage.

I stopped using the open waterer and put in a milk carton with a hole big enough for two heads to stick in and drink.  Keeping their feet out of the water has really made a difference in the messes made.

I don't think I did anything wrong the first few days though having easier and less difficult access to water.  That said after the first 4 or 5 days it's a great switch to make.

These guys seem to be growing while I'm watching them.  I need a bigger brooder soon.  Hope to build one Wed or Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#25]
New Brooder.  They look small again.

50-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (24-in W x 25-ft L)

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Two weeks old.

Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So they make a little "put\squirt" sound when they poop.
View Quote
another week or so that will sound like cannon fire
and they will ALWAYS wait until out of the tub to do so
its ridiculous how fast ducks grow

raised hundreds of quail and they are supposed to be the fastest growing but I think the ducks grow quicker

about this time last year we had ducks and chickens growing in the house
I was about done with them all by the time they were ready to go outside

personally they says ducks eggs are richer, better for baking, taste funny etc...

I cant tell the difference,  the only difference to me is the yolk and whites both are much firmer
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Had three hatch tonight, one more peeped so hopefully get four. Peakings here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Weather was really nice this was their first time outside.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Put the lot of them on the scale and they averaged over a pound each at 3 weeks.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Fencing came in.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Finally got to TSC and picked up some Sweet PDZ. Knocked the odor of my brooder down to nothing in a few min. 11 Ducklings in a 6x8 enclosure changing the pine chips every other day. This helped a bunch and I'm sure my ducklings will have less stress as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Duck House

Got it cheap off Craigslist local.  Had a crack that I welded with hardware cloth and a heat gun.  Just need to add some silicone.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Outside for the day.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#37]
We had some muscovy ducks for a few years and they turned out to be very prolific. Started with two males and four females in the early spring. Almost mature when we got them so they started laying and hatching in early summer. By late fall we had 50-60 ducks.

The muscovy where good with the chickens and one peacock hen we had.  Eggs were good to eat in my opinion and the meat was good too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Khaki Campbells are great ducks.  And duck eggs are delicious.  They tend to set up firmer than chicken eggs when cooked, and that makes them great for baking.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Friday, May 19, 2017 will be the goal to cull all but one drake.  

Seems 11 weeks for Khaki Campbell is a good grow out point as it's after the juvenile molt and I won't need to deal with plucking pin feathers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Ducks 5 weeks.

They'll be outside for now on unless it gets below 55.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#42]
We think we have 6 ducks and 5 drakes.  Going by quack, size and color.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Right now I can only view this site where I am at work, and images are blocked, so I am not sure if the answer to this is somewhere above and is obvious in a photo or video.

This year we are raising ducks for the first time. We have Khaki Campbells. They are about 2-3 weeks old now and are still indoors in a brooding enclosure (solid plastic bottom with wire cage top).

What are people using for substrate? We have wood shavings now, which was recommended to us, but the ducklings love to spill water everywhere and soak the wood shavings. I told my wife not to worry, but she thinks this is bad for their feet and changes the shavings a few times a day. I think that is excessive and over-reactive...but what do other people do?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Right now I can only view this site where I am at work, and images are blocked, so I am not sure if the answer to this is somewhere above and is obvious in a photo or video.

This year we are raising ducks for the first time. We have Khaki Campbells. They are about 2-3 weeks old now and are still indoors in a brooding enclosure (solid plastic bottom with wire cage top).

What are people using for substrate? We have wood shavings now, which was recommended to us, but the ducklings love to spill water everywhere and soak the wood shavings. I told my wife not to worry, but she thinks this is bad for their feet and changes the shavings a few times a day. I think that is excessive and over-reactive...but what do other people do?
View Quote
I used wood chips and sprinkled a product called "Sweet PDZ" on the top to control ammonia smells.

I layer the wood chips for 3 days putting in a thin topping of fresh stuff every day then change out where it's very wet.

The best thing to do is try and control the water.  Have them reach their head into something to get water and keep it at their back level.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're going to raise them for years to come, do the setup right the first time. I would always have food and water resting on hardware cloth. Underneath was a catch basin for all the water that dropped down which would be emptied twice a week. No smell at all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Moved the fence today.  Still keeping them close for now.

BTW mowed Friday the 14th just a week and a few days ago.  Spring has brought an inch or two of rain the last three weeks.  Lawn\weeds are going bonkers.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#47]
During the hail they were eating it and standing breasts to the wind. They have the doghouse and another shelter as options and still decided to be out in dime sized hail.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#48]
No eggs yet but we should be getting close.

I've not culled the 3 drakes yet.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#49]
First egg. 21 weeks and 3 days

Chicken egg for scale and color compair.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#50]
9" corkscrew.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top