Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 11:41:24 AM EDT
I am new to septic systems, i have a 1000 gallon tank made of concrete. Does Rid-X work as claimed? I had also read some place, that adding buttermilk to the septic system is as good as adding Rid-X. Advise me please, i spent 59 years hooked up to a city sewer system.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
We use Rid x twice a year. Dont know if it does any good or not but we use it anyway, it is cheap enough, cant hurt. Been doing it for 30 years. Our septic guy says it is a waste of money, instead of calling him every two years we would have to call him yearly maybe. I think it is maybe more beneficial for people with city water or who use chemicals that may kill off the good bacteria in your tank. My wife picks up 3 or 4 boxes whenever it goes on sale or when she see a coupon so we have it in the spring and in the fall.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Been living here 17 years. Never used anything on the septic or had it pumped out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If the septic owner is dumping such junk (chemicals , kitchen fat , excessive laundry products) to screw up his system or if the system is under designed for current use rid-X isn't going to save him .

Possibly of some use on a brand new system to start things working .

Won't hurt you any but pretty much false advertising all over the box.

I worked for a survey/engineering firm for 20+ years and all the engineering types designing/repairing/trouble shooting systems said the stuff was bogus
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
15 years living in our current house with a 20 year old system.

Had it pumped out once about 7 years ago and never had any problem with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have lived in my house for a little over a year, My wifes grandparents put the house up in 76/77 or so, and to everyone's knowledge septic has never been pumped out at this place. our sinks drain into a field tile and the only thing that goes to the septic is the shitters and the shower
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use some every couple months.  I don't believe it will hurt anything.  Don't know if it helps.  I was dosing it once a month when we first installed it to get the whole thing cooking.  

I use different brands to change things up.  I doesn't cost much so I'll keep doing it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the septic owner is dumping such junk (chemicals , kitchen fat , excessive laundry products) to screw up his system or if the system is under designed for current use rid-X isn't going to save him .

Possibly of some use on a brand new system to start things working .

Won't hurt you any but pretty much false advertising all over the box.

I worked for a survey/engineering firm for 20+ years and all the engineering types designing/repairing/trouble shooting systems said the stuff was bogus
View Quote

This ^^^

The stuff won't save you from poor septic care, poor septic system, or damage/problems. A proper septic system functions on it's own, it doesn't need anything except keeping trees clear of the leach field/lines, and the occasional replace of pumps etc.
My parents have been in their house for over 25 years. They had the tank pumped when they moved in because local law required a tank pump upon change of ownership, they've never had to pump it since then. Never used gimmicks, just sent their waste down the drain and that was enough.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It's snake oil. Save your money.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a waste of money. Have your tank pumped every 3-5 years under normal usage.

If you want to add anything...one pack of bakers yeast down the toilet is fine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
When we moved to the country 12 years ago I asked the guy who pumps our tank about rid x.  He said "it was a really bad idea for solids to get in your leach field. Do not not use it."
Wisconsin requires you to pump your septic tank every 3 yrs.  Mine gets pump because of the law.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a waste of money. Have your tank pumped every 3-5 years under normal usage.

If you want to add anything...one pack of bakers yeast down the toilet is fine.
View Quote

This, and don't allow your wife or whoever cleans to ever dump large amounts of clorox down the toilet.  It will kill the good bacteria in the tank.  I have mine pumped every 3 years.  After living in a house that had not had its tank pumped in 20 years and seeing the amount of sludge that had built up in the bottom of the tank, I won't let that happen again.  You don't want to take a chance on any solid material reaching the elbow in the tank that goes to your leach field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top