BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 4:01:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep they have Chinese parts for chainsaws just like they have Chinese parts for everything else I used a farmertec (same brand as you are talking ) on my STIHL 026 I rebuilt I used STIHL genuine rubber parts and a crank gasket but bearings piston etc was all China ... why you ask the saw I rebuilt was toast needed everything I bought a kit for $40 has my piston jug muffler all rubber parts (didn't use ) and other crap I just could not justify spending 400+ on genuine STIHL piston and jug yes there is other brands that make better quality stuff but even with STIHL rubber parts and gaskets i still spent 130+ or as much as the saw is worth
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Interdasting. I've had saws for 40 years and never knew about this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My BiL is a Stihl dealer and repair center. He's awfully interested in building a 660 now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My BiL is a Stihl dealer and repair center. He's awfully interested in building a 660 now.
View Quote

even blown up completely they still bring huge bucks

I wanted even a junk 440 to rebuild I really wanted something to run a chainsaw mill for some personal use but I dont want to spend an arm and leg for something so I will just keep waiting until the right thing comes along
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
A 660 for under $200 is awful tempting, even if it is a knockoff. Would still probably be better than spending the same on a 50cc Poulan.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
TAG.

Very interesting.  Makes me want to order the 372 kit and start building.

I rebuilt my old 372XP a few years ago and just used whatever cheap parts were available.  I split the case, replaced all the seals, put new rings on it, the usual tune up stuff etc. I think I put a new cheap carb on it but cant remember now.  Ether I put a new kit in the old carb and saved the new one, or put the new carb on it, and saved the old one.  Been a few years but it still runs great so far.  It was a really tired saw to begin with, used hard of years so I was happy to get some more life out of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep us updated, with pics preferably.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a Stihl dealer and will definitely be looking to trade for a burnt up 660 now for myself!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm ordering a MS660 kit from Huztl.  Might be fun to see how it holds up.  From what I'm finding it should have nylon caged crank bearings replaced with steel caged. Some are saying one side is steel with the newer kits. Should add an OEM intake boot, impulse, fuel lines, chain tensioner.

This is kinda like an 80% AR build.
View Quote

If Hi Point sold AR parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the plating of the cylinder.  I'm betting a Meteor might be in order at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Stihl dealer and will definitely be looking to trade for a burnt up 660 now for myself!!!

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the plating of the cylinder.  I'm betting a Meteor might be in order at some point.

I feel ignorant asking this, but what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If Hi Point sold AR parts.
View Quote

Actually a automotive reference works better it's like buying a Kia or Daewoo as a mode of transportation grated it's not a GM, Ford etc  but it will get you from point A to B

Yes they are cheap Chinese parts but dang I have never seen so much hate over crap before when my hutzl kitted STIHL fails then I can address the failure and decide if it's worth fixing with quality parts or cheep parts again
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I thought you meant you might look at an aftermarket kit to rebuild a burnt up Stihl.  Meteor is considered to be on the high end of the aftermarket.  Hutzl, low end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel ignorant asking this, but what are you talking about?

I thought you meant you might look at an aftermarket kit to rebuild a burnt up Stihl.  Meteor is considered to be on the high end of the aftermarket.  Hutzl, low end.

I'd like to come upon a burnt up 660 and use one of these kits just for my personal use.  I'd rarely use it so it'd probably be ok for me.  Cheap way to get an expensive saw and if it burns up, no biggy!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#21]
The two best places to buy a used chainsaw, IMO, are:

- Your trusted local Stihl (or Husky) dealer.

- A trusted member over on the Arboristsite.com site. 

I bought a Stihl MS-440 Magnum years ago off of egay - bad move.  It wasn't too many hours in before I had to have the saw rebuilt due to a scored piston and cylinder (read = $$$).  Never again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
hmmmm...I just bought a used 455 rancher off CL for $250 today...2016 model.   
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Those kit's are interesting. But op's right some people would pass them off as oem. I think my Stihl ms391 would be just as good if it was made in China. Low oiling gutless wonder. I'm glad I was able to rebuild my husky 51. After playing with it for a few weeks now I'm not really happy. I almost wish I'd found a used rebuildable saw.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I picked up a couple of 362's from a tree service with stripped plug holes for $50.00.  I pulled the cylinder, put in a Save a Plug insert, honed the cylinder and put new rings in the one I got running.  Other one is waiting on a carb kit since the crew never changed/cleaned the air filter.  It had saw dust in the intake boot.  I'm ditching my 391 since I'm in full agreement with your assessment.  It's gutless and 2# heavier than the 361/362.

I still don't have the 660 clone kit yet.  Must have taken the slow boat.
View Quote
Those would be perfect candidates for a meteor cylinder and piston kit. Check Bailey's out. I got a ring kit and milled my cylinder down to a .025 squish. Saw is like new. And the crank case held a vacuum all night. Be sure and check for a good crank case seal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.weedeaterman.com/default.asp

I've purchased from him and got what I wanted, and I used the saw I rebuilt using a head/piston kit I got from him this weekend.  

He's also the most recommended parts supplier on arboristsite.com which is where I got the information to rebuild my saw.....they are the ar15.com of chainsaws......

I only mention it because y'all were talking about aftermarket cyls and pistons for your knock-off builds (not being condescending here......would be a cheap way to really learn your chainsaw, if nothing else).
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top