BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This side didn't have nearly as many trees as the other side, but it still took a few hours. This will make it a lot faster when I get out there with the tractor.

The front axle is leaking on the right side. That's a known issue with these tractors, but JD won't admit fault. I'm going to go ahead and have them do the 500 hour service too because they'll wave the $200 pickup and delivery fee if I have them do it. The service is $325, so it's only costing me $125 more than what I'd have paid to just have them fix the axle. I needed to do that service anyway, so it worked out pretty well.
View Quote
Thats not too bad.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, we've also had a cold snap with several nights of sub-freezing temperatures that have ruined all the early growth on the fig trees. Not sure how badly that will affect the overall annual production. I'm sure it's going to affect the pear trees too, although they are much better leafed out than the figs were.

Here are a couple pics of the poor fig trees.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn I think they will pull through
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If I can ask, what county is your place?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I can ask, what county is your place?
View Quote
Twiggs
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard that Russian olives and kiwis do well in ga
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Twiggs
View Quote
Small world, I grew up just south of Twiggs in Bleckley Co. I live in Upson County now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Small world, I grew up just south of Twiggs in Bleckley Co. I live in Upson County now.
View Quote
My dad used to hunt some in Upson Co. I grew up in Houston Co, but lived in Macon Co for the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one of my future dove fields planted in sunflowers this morning. I wanted to do more clearing, but didn't have much time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
And the fig trees are making a recovery! I'm not sure how well they'll produce this year, but they're starting to leaf out again.

We also had a few of the neighbor's cattle decide to go on walkabout on our property. They meandered all over the place, but Ytka finally managed to run them back onto their own land. I don't think they did much damage in their meanderings.

Here lately, we've been spying a little hen turkey on our daily walks. We think she may have a nest over near the area Ytka is preparing for a sunflower field, so he's had to curb back the size of the field a bit. We want to encourage wild turkeys, so it wouldn't do to smash her nest and run her off.

Cows on walkabout

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice piece of land!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice piece of land!
View Quote
Thanks!

Hasn't been much going on lately. We've identified a couple catalpa trees, so we'll definitely have a supply of fishing worms this summer. Ytka also took down a few sweetgum trees on Saturday, but we have about 90 million of the things to eradicate. We also got some tree and vegetation identification manuals to help in determining what flora we leave be or encourage to grow, and what we go wholesale death and destruction on. Unbeknownst to us, apparently crabgrass of all things is an eminently useful plant that feeds numerous types of wildlife. I guess we'll just leave that be!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Y'all don't like Sweetgum down there?

Or maybe we're not talking about the same plant.  

I'm talking about Liquidambar styraciflua

Up here we plant the males as landscape trees in parks, gardens, etc.
View Quote
Same thing. Down here, they'll take over a place if you let them, and pretty much no wildlife actually uses them. Once one gets established, it sends out runner roots and you'll have them popping up everywhere like (the much more useful) crabgrass. Then they'll crowd out useful but slower growing trees like oaks and maples.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same thing. Down here, they'll take over a place if you let them, and pretty much no wildlife actually uses them. Once one gets established, it sends out runner roots and you'll have them popping up everywhere like (the much more useful) crabgrass. Then they'll crowd out useful but slower growing trees like oaks and maples.
View Quote
What are you doing to kill them?  Just cutting them down?  I'm looking at some land that has them all over the place, and they need to go; but I'm not sure what I'm about to try to undertake.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What are you doing to kill them?  Just cutting them down?  I'm looking at some land that has them all over the place, and they need to go; but I'm not sure what I'm about to try to undertake.
View Quote
Cut them down, soak stump in Crossbow, Roundup and blue dye (for identification purposes).  Should do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats! Any plans for a range?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cut them down, soak stump in Crossbow, Roundup and blue dye (for identification purposes).  Should do the trick.
View Quote
That's the strategy we're using. I'll definitely be keeping this thread up on how well it works.

And here are some pics to show why they're a menace:

My really good panorama pics showing the future pastures just covered in the stupid things won't load because the file size is too big.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you tried spraying them with that concoction before you cut them down, or just after?  

The place I'm looking at looks very similar in it's sweetgum coverage....  I was thinking of using roundup and then maybe rent a bush hog after it does it's work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
And here are some pics of other, more welcome vegetation starting to leaf out.

Wild Muscadines

Wild blackberries

Wheat grass along the roads

Sweetgrass

And clover

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you tried spraying them with that concoction before you cut them down, or just after?  

The place I'm looking at looks very similar in it's sweetgum coverage....  I was thinking of using roundup and then maybe rent a bush hog after it does it's work.
View Quote
Crossbow or it's generic Crossroads would work better than Roundup.  Using one of those on the live tree then bush hogging after would work but I would guess it would be less effective than treating the stump after cutting them down.

The nice thing is Crossbow won't kill grass so depending on what else is around you could hose down the area with it then bush hog after the fact.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're going with after. Easier to cut down the larger ones, bush hog the smaller ones, and then spray everything at once.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a pic of progress. I'll try to find some Crossbow/Crossroads next week. I mowed this area today. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's a pic of progress. I'll try to find some Crossbow/Crossroads next week. I mowed this area today. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222790/image-190448.JPG
View Quote
Looking good!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Small hijack but what is a good forage that will grow under the GA canopy?  We're looking at some land that's pretty heavily wooded but I think if I get all the ivy and brush out of it I can get enough light to the dirt to grow stuff.  Can't and don't want to remove too many trees due to the terrain/erosion possibilities and they are all healthy species anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Small hijack but what is a good forage that will grow under the GA canopy?  We're looking at some land that's pretty heavily wooded but I think if I get all the ivy and brush out of it I can get enough light to the dirt to grow stuff.  Can't and don't want to remove too many trees due to the terrain/erosion possibilities and they are all healthy species anyway.
View Quote
Clover is a good choice for shaded areas. The only problem is that clover can take time to get established and requires some maintenance. Don't expect a beautiful plot the first year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome property, congrats!

You mentioned full-time jobs.
I'm curious how much of your week is spent doing things around the property? Seems like you two have quite an ambitious list. I'd like to buy a large property soon, but am not sure how much time needs to go into it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Right now it's just a few evening hours during the week and usually a full day's worth of work or more on the weekend, mostly mowing, bush hogging, and cutting down trees, and almost all done by Ytka at this point. I'm busy managing our infant daughter for the time being, but as she grows, I'll have more ability to chip in on the actual labor. As it is, I think Ytka thinks he has the easier of the two tasks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome property, congrats!

You mentioned full-time jobs.
I'm curious how much of your week is spent doing things around the property? Seems like you two have quite an ambitious list. I'd like to buy a large property soon, but am not sure how much time needs to go into it?
View Quote
Like she said, I get 2-3 evenings after work per week and 3 weekends per month due to her schedule. It keeps me busy that's for sure but I love it. As the baby gets a little older, I will have more time to do stuff. Right now I'm basically working to get things ready to do other stuff. A lot of my clearing for food plots is really clearing for future pastures. It's prep work so that the stuff in the future will be easier. We aren't planning on much in the way of animals until she can manage a little bit on her own (~2 years old or so).

The time required really all depends on what you want. If I was worried about a beautifully manicured lawn, it would be a lot tougher. Instead, I keep the grass mowed and focus on the stuff that really matters to us.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Been a while since we updated, but things are progressing. Baby birds are hatching everywhere right now. We have one nest on our front porch with 3 little babies in it, and Ytka found another nest in the engine compartment of his tractor today. We fished it out and relocated it while the mama bird watched and screamed at us. The babies flew out when we moved it, but hopefully the little family gets back together and survives.

Ytka did a lot of clearing today down in an area I've dubbed Quail Meadow (because we startle Quail nearly every time we walk through there). He said something about planting a dove field, but I don't know what wall he got in the ground.

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I planted sunflowers and brown top millet in the area above. There's still a little of both left, so that will get mixed in with my other foodplots. Deer will eat sunflowers, but they leave millet alone. It will be something good for the doves, quail, and I think turkey will eat it too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Things are really starting to come along. I've got two places planted in sunflowers and millet and another spot with buckwheat, sunn hemp, iron clay peas, soybeans, sunflowers, and millet. I'm going to plant one more spot with buckwheat, iron clay peas, and soybeans this weekend. The spots I've planted are all sprouted. Some of the first sunflowers are a foot tall already. There is winter rye planted around them, so I'm hoping that will act as a nurse crop.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#39]
The kids have been loving this place. My son has discovered the blackberries and is a fiend for them. I've nicknamed him The Spaniard because he tries to claim any berries I find. My daughter, who is 7 months old, lights up as soon as she sees us getting ready to go for our evening walks. She has discovered the blackberries too and looks like Mrs. Pacman chomping away.

There are a ton of muscadines that look like they'll be loaded with fruit. We also found wild blueberries earlier this week and maypops today. It looks like there will be plenty of food on the trail to keep us occupied for a while.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Once the pecans start producing you'll be manning the area full time to keep the squirrels killed out of them, if you want the nuts that is.  I remember my uncle shooting them out behind his house in SC when the pecans were getting ripe/ready to eat.  An old guy that used to work where I did had such a problem with them that he went to Lowes and bought some stuff to set up electrocution traps on the tops of his fences the squirrels used to stay away from his dog.

No creek?  My mom and dad had ducks for years without a pond, they just waddled down to the creek and splashed around when they weren't eating up the bugs/worms around the yard and gardens.

I used to spend some time looking for a "retirement property" a few counties west of here but eventually gave it up when it got to the point that I couldn't even really keep up with the 2.5 acres we've got now like I need to.

Looks like fun.  No ticks or chiggers down there?  Man, the ticks are bad up here.  Got to dust the yard a couple times a year or you'll get a tick on you just walking around in the grass far from the brush/woods.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Beautiful photos, awesome kids.

Passion fruit has the prettiest flowers.
View Quote
Thanks! It's a great feeling to see your child out there foraging for wild berries on your own patch of dirt, learning what wild plants are edible, and experiencing the joy of "treasure hunting" delicious snacks. That immediate, tangible reward makes the whole exercise that much more fun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Once the pecans start producing you'll be manning the area full time to keep the squirrels killed out of them, if you want the nuts that is.  I remember my uncle shooting them out behind his house in SC when the pecans were getting ripe/ready to eat.  An old guy that used to work where I did had such a problem with them that he went to Lowes and bought some stuff to set up electrocution traps on the tops of his fences the squirrels used to stay away from his dog.

No creek?  My mom and dad had ducks for years without a pond, they just waddled down to the creek and splashed around when they weren't eating up the bugs/worms around the yard and gardens.

I used to spend some time looking for a "retirement property" a few counties west of here but eventually gave it up when it got to the point that I couldn't even really keep up with the 2.5 acres we've got now like I need to.

Looks like fun.  No ticks or chiggers down there?  Man, the ticks are bad up here.  Got to dust the yard a couple times a year or you'll get a tick on you just walking around in the grass far from the brush/woods.
View Quote
Squirrel hunting is half the fun of having pecan trees!

And there's a wet weather creek, but it will dry up if we go a few weeks without rain, plus a pond will help attract migratory ducks too.

As for ticks and redbugs (chiggers), we have worlds of them. We have to do a tick check every day, and I just took our son to the doc today for a tick bite that developed a pretty gnarly rash. The tick hadn't been on him for but a couple hours, but two days later that rash was the size of a half dollar, raised, and angry looking, so off to the doc he went. Ytka keeps the main walking trails mowed pretty well, and we'll use bug spray too, so thus far the redbugs haven't been terrible, but we haven't reached the height of summer yet, and I know they're just waiting for the opportunity to tear us up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Squirrel hunting is half the fun of having pecan trees!

And there's a wet weather creek, but it will dry up if we go a few weeks without rain, plus a pond will help attract migratory ducks too.

As for ticks and redbugs (chiggers), we have worlds of them. We have to do a tick check every day, and I just took our son to the doc today for a tick bite that developed a pretty gnarly rash. The tick hadn't been on him for but a couple hours, but two days later that rash was the size of a half dollar, raised, and angry looking, so off to the doc he went. Ytka keeps the main walking trails mowed pretty well, and we'll use bug spray too, so thus far the redbugs haven't been terrible, but we haven't reached the height of summer yet, and I know they're just waiting for the opportunity to tear us up.
View Quote
We've got a bunch of Guinea's that do a great job of keeping the ticks down...but letting them run on their own you have a lot of loss. In two years we've bought 20, hatched 13 and have 7 left  Most we've lost were hens that went broody and were taken laying on their nests before we found them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We've got a bunch of Guinea's that do a great job of keeping the ticks down...but letting them run on their own you have a lot of loss. In two years we've bought 20, hatched 13 and have 7 left  Most we've lost were hens that went broody and were taken laying on their nests before we found them.
View Quote
We're planning on getting some chickens for sure, but Guineas would be a welcome addition and we're planning on free-ranging them as much as we can. I we're going to be in the same boat as you though. There's a lot of predators in our area. I regularly get pics of coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and stray dogs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do love a squirrel pot pie...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Great thread, and a really nice place. We bought about 100 acres in to NE Georgia a few years ago when we retired. Great feeling working your place and watching the grandkids enjoy it (the country as they call it).
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#49]
We're still getting backberries, although the crop seems to be tapering off. I think our daughter's first favorite food (besides mother's milk, of course) can officially be declared as blackberries. She gets downright irate if she thinks you should be feeding her berries and you're negligent in your duties! We've also stumbled onto several different wild blueberry bushes around the property. Most of them are in the areas we're planning on fencing in for pastures, so we're wondering about the idea of transplanting them to other areas or just trying to fence them away from the goats and sheep. We definitely want to encourage their growth, though.

The ticks have been a nightmare this year too. They don't seem to give a damn about DEET or permethrin, and we're having to pull ticks off on a daily basis anyway.

We're also hoping to be bringing home a new puppy in late July/early August. The litter was born a week ago, but there was only one boy, so we'll have to see if he'll end up being ours. He has 6 sisters, but we were specifically hoping for a boy. Here's a pic of the pile of pups.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top