Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2017 1:27:55 AM EDT
Evenin' all.  I am a new homeowner (first house about 1300 square feet) and could use some help.  I am interested in getting a portable generator to have in case I lose power for whatever reason.  Everything in my house in electric including the well pump.  I've never owned a house and my parent's often just hired people to do work at the house for them, so I missed out on learning how to do a lot of things myself, including learning about generators.

I likely will not get a large enough generator to run my heater, well pump, and fridge all at the same time, but would be open to options.  I have someone that can properly set up a breaker panel for me, so that is not an issue.

Can you all provide any insight into what size (wattage), brand, etc. I should be looking at?  Maybe a few from different price brackets.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the most important decisions you can make about gen power is the ability to run your well pump.  you need to know how much it current it draws to make a decision on your needs.

your location isnt listed, so you heating needs cant be determined.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Be sure to research and consider startup load when selecting the size.   A 2000 watt generator will not start a 2000 watt motor and will not be rated for a 2,000 watt continuous load even if you got the motor started.  

Don't plan to run the generator at its max continuous load rating or it will not last long.

FUEL is a huge issue.    A generator big enough to run your water heater and well pump will use a ton of fuel.  You will need a plan to safely store and maintain that ton of fuel.    Another option is to have a big generator to run the well pump and bigger loads only when you need it....and a smaller (2,000 or 3,000 watt) inverter generator to keep the refrigerator, freezer, lights, fans, etc running as needed.  A small inverter generator will sip fuel and be very quiet.  I like Honda and Yamaha inverter generators.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Need some more info.

Can you switch your water heater and furnace to gas or propane? If you can, you just drastically reduced your electrical requirements.

Realistically you need a non or low electric source of heat.

Do you know the horsepower of your well pump? If not, how deep is your well and what size breaker is the pump on?

I ran an all electric house on a 5700 watt generator. But, I had a pellet stove for supplemental heat and was on city water.  You'll need a huge generator to run your house but with some changes your can easily run your home on a smaller generator.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Not knowing what kind of money you are willing to lay down for this setup it is hard to give any advice on specific generators. But if you can find a surplus MEP-802a generator that would probably be ideal for the average home. It is rated at 5KW and is powered  by a 2 cyl diesel. Unlike consumer units you can pull that 5KW continuously if needed. Because of the diesel engine and the design it is more durable than your typical wheeled screamer or propane home standby. Upfront cost is higher than most but you get what you pay for. You can also go  bigger or smaller. If you don't mind the noise, an older version MEP-002a or 003a is also a great option.

If you were looking at a good quality consumer level gas genny like a Honda 6500 or larger Honda inverter you are at about the same price level as these mil surp units anyway.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
but a 9,000 w unit from harbor freight  i should take care of alot
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't mind the noise, an older version MEP-002a or 003a is also a great option.

View Quote

I bought a MEP-002a several years back that had been completely reconditioned by well respected generator company in the Midwest. I have to admit it was an absolute BEAST.  The huge gen head brushed off considerable loads with nothing but a slight grunt.  I thought I had found generator nirvana.

I sold it and was glad to see it go  because...........

Outdated technology and no current factory support. 2 cyl Onan no longer made and Cummins owns Onan now.  You contact Cummins for parts and they look at you like you have something growing out of your head.

Spare OEM parts are scarce and EXPENSIVE.

The fuel delivery system was complex and any adjustments were tricky.  I never mastered the intricacies of the fuel pump. injectors and various linkages even after hours of research.

It was a noisy rascal.  They say 79db at 25' but I ain't buying it.   A big part of the noise is due to rotating mass which is difficult to damp.  There is no OPSEC if this thing is running.

After a few years of on/off use and some difficulties and expense of obtaining the most basic maintenance parts, I sold it in top running condition and never looked back.  I *never* had the confidence in it that I now have with my various Honda generators.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all the replies.

I am located near the VA and NC border so we see all seasons (sometimes over the same weekend).  The well is a deep well around 365 feet with a pressure tank under the house.  I've never had a well before, so all of this is new to me.

I cannot change over the range, water heater, or heat to gas at this time.  I would have to have new appliances installed as well as a tank, or hook into the county gas lines if that is even possible.  

I like the idea of maybe having two smaller generators to only run a few things on each.  I have some propane heaters (Mr. Heater style) and hope to find a kerosene heater on sale at the end of the winter to add.

Ideally, I'd like to spend around $750-1000 or less if possible.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the idea of maybe having two smaller generators to only run a few things on each.
View Quote

One good approach is to have one small, quiet, high-quality generator for powering small, long-running loads, and a second big, cheap, racket-maker for occasionally powering the big loads.

Basically, you put most of the run-time on the generator that's best capable of handling it.

And, if one of your generators breaks down, you're still not left entirely without AC power.

Examples of small, long-running loads:
1. Lights
2. Blowers for furnaces
3. Computers
4. Entertainment electronics
5. Battery chargers
6. Sump pumps
7. Communications gear
8. Fans and small air conditioners

Examples of big, occasional loads:
1. Water well pumps
2. Clothes washers and dryers
3. Electric stoves and ranges
4. Welders
5. Big power tools
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Agreed on the MEP-002a or 003a.  They are neat old units but parts are hard to find and you have to practically be military trained on them to do any service.  As a former owner of one and someone who tinkers on generators I would not recommend one for your only standby power source.  They are definitely the loudest option for power.  

As others have mentioned it is difficult and horribly inefficient to use a gas or diesel generator to power an electric heat source.  You said you don't want to change your heat or cook stove, which is understandable, so I would recommend that you plan on having an alternate heat source.  Buddy heater, kerosene, propane ventless wall heater, etc..  If you get a unit large enough to could run your well pump and water heater at the same time.  If you buy a smaller unit you will still have water and could alternate it with your water heater for showers/bathing.

You should be able to purchase a 5500-7500 gasoline powered generator used on craigslist for about half of your budget. These units are powered by a noisy inefficient 3600rpm lawnmower style engine.  The briggs powered units are pretty cheap and if you can find a Honda powered one it would be better and slightly quieter. Don't confuse Honda powered (Honda engine only) with an actual Honda branded generator.  Your remaining money will be spent on a transfer switch, cord, wiring, etc.  

Longer term goal would be to find a Honda or Yamaha inverter unit that you could run all the time to power smaller loads and your fridge/freezer.  These units will use a gallon or two per day as opposed to a gallon or so an hour like the bigger 3600rpm units.  

Good luck,

Grove
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Budget?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
How do you plan to isolate the items you want to run? Is the house already wired for a generator?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I was overwhelmed at first too. What I ended up doing was googling a certified Kohler reseller/electrician, and having him come out and size it and write up a quote for the whole thing.  It wasn't cheap, but I went with the whole package including the auto transfer switch, and enough power to run everything if I choose (great to have AC on hot summer days, but also uses more fuel).

I'm very pleased that I chose Kohler because it has a great warranty, and it wasn't much more than Generac, and I always hear people complaining about those breaking down. I'm also very pleased I went with the full power, wired-in, auto transfer, propane connection, etc. since it is no hassle whatsoever even when it kicks on. I could not stand pulling out a bunch of extension cords for my refrigerator and pouring gas in a unit, and not knowing how long the outage would be, and then having to put everything back when it was done.

Asides from saying Kohler is good, and leave the quoting to a certified electrician, I guess my point is to spend as much as you can, and buy once cry once. The price may suck but once it's paid off the peace of mind is incredible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top