Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 1:29:22 PM EDT
We're getting ready to break ground on 21 acres of woods. I'm reading about food forest and permaculture. My intentions are to have a 1-2 acre berry patch with an apiary in it, we'll . I also plan on running egg and meat chickens as well as a small flock of free range guinea fowl. We'll have a kitchen veg garden.

Obviously there will be some clearing, but the rest of the 21 acres will remain wooded. I'd like to try and grow some turmeric, ginger, horseradish, wasabi and other rhizomes down near the creek. I've also heard that pawpaws do very well in partly shaded creek areas.

What have you grown successfully in a forest area. Zone 7a, N Ga area.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'd like to try and grow some turmeric, ginger, horseradish, wasabi and other rhizomes down near the creek.
View Quote

Tagging for interest in the response to this. I'm interested in growing ginger etc too. Is it relatively "critter proof"? Deer etc would eat it alive if not...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Hazelnuts can be an forest understory tree/bush. Might be a nice addition to your plans.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Dunstan Chestnuts.  You can start to get a crop within 3 years.  Buy the grow tubes to protect your trees from deer as they get established.

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#5]
pigs would be the best thing to farm in the woods :-)
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Consider ginseng for a component if you are in zone 7.  There is a ready market for woods grown & you can start small with seeds or roots & see how it does.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could try ramps around the creek if it's shaded and not too dry.  Hard to establish, but if you can get them to take hold they'll be around forever if you don't over harvest them.
View Quote

Excellent suggestion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Consider ginseng for a component if you are in zone 7.  There is a ready market for woods grown & you can start small with seeds or roots & see how it does.

Nick
View Quote

I  was already researching this. Do you have any other info for me other than the youtube videos ive been watching?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I  was already researching this. Do you have any other info for me other than the youtube videos ive been watching?
View Quote

Not really. I had been looking into it for a 20 acre property we have in NC that is roughly 1/2 fields & 1/2 wooded.  I'm sure you can find the same on-line sites I did as sources for seeds & roots, cultivation hints, etc.   From what I read, commercial growing can be done in structured areas with shade cloth coverings on frames or in more natural settings like open woodland.  Your local ag. extension agent may also have info specific to your area.

Another consideration may be the potential for poachers if there are established Ginseng gatherers in your area that don't respect property lines...

Nick
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not really. I had been looking into it for a 20 acre property we have in NC that is roughly 1/2 fields & 1/2 wooded.  I'm sure you can find the same on-line sites I did as sources for seeds & roots, cultivation hints, etc.   From what I read, commercial growing can be done in structured areas with shade cloth coverings on frames or in more natural settings like open woodland.  Your local ag. extension agent may also have info specific to your area.

Another consideration may be the potential for poachers if there are established Ginseng gatherers in your area that don't respect property lines...

Nick
View Quote

The property will be heavily monitored and protected.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Look into growing shitake mushrooms in logs... you use inoculated plugs drilled into oak logs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look into growing shitake mushrooms in logs... you use inoculated plugs drilled into oak logs.
View Quote

I've researched this heavily as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top