Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2017 9:20:41 AM EDT
So, I am on a well. Without dumping a gallon of bleach every 2 months, I can't keep the sulfur at bay. I am building our home & was going to place a water filter in the Utility room for the kitchen access. Right now we have filtered water for drinking & cooking.  I don't filter showers or sink. But, now I wonder if I should just place it at the well. My buddy sets up sysyems for 1,000's of gallon aquariums. He said all I need is a large charcoal filter @ the well.

What do you all think or have?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm lucky I guess, no filter needed at my house. Most of the wells around here are filtered at the house for ease of access.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My well has no filter here in NE Iowa well I guess we have a half ass filter in the house but man we have tons of iron in the water
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
As close to the faucet as possible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
House, first thing after the main comes in.

Purely for easy access.

Worth having a sample tested at a lab to see exactly what you need to filter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sulphur, rotten egg smell is hydrogen sulfide. Chlorine only maskes the smell. Only way to eliminate is with ozone.
But to answer. The house.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the info.

I was told the hydrogen sulfide was produced by bacteria & that can be fixed by a filter.

Guess I'll place it in the utility room.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) already formed in the groundwater or is it forming in your water heater (most likely) and then collecting at taps nearest to the heater or highest in elevation?
Around here there's a lot of sulfate in the groundwater, but you don't really notice it until it is reduced by thermophilic bacteria in the water heater.  It's an easy fix if that is the case, no filter needed.  There are several ways to alter conditions in the tank so sulfate isn't converted to sulfides.  H2S will also form sulfuric acid and make your water more corrosive, you don't want to simply treat at the faucet.  It can damage plumbing and leach materials in your drinking water.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have mine at the well as it provides water to my house and the cottage out back. Works good. If i only had to provide water for one dwelling I would have put it inside my house for convenience and better protection from the elements and critters.

Why are you guys saying put filter as "close to faucet" etc..? Is there really a greater chance of contamination in the piping or what?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Directly from the well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I am on a private well and deal with sediment as well as radon in the water & in addition have a softener installed. The radon system aerates the water and vents the exhaust outdoors. I am told it will also remove any of the rotten egg smell but I do not have that issue. The system is quite pricey so I doubt you want to go that route. I also had installed a couple of the 10" big blue water filters. Even with clean water you would probably be surprised at what you are removing with filtration. You could even step up to the 20" big blue. Keep in mind the bigger the filter the less you need to change it and the less pressure drop you will see. I would install the filter as soon as it comes into the house. If you just put it at point of use like under the sink you are still sending unfiltered water to all of your fixtures and probably shortening their useful life. As for the charcoal filter in that instance you would probably want to add one at the point of use so you are not filtering say.. toilet water with your expensive charcoal filters... Unless your buddy can get them on the cheap.  Still a good idea to have a basic sediment filter on everything though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have mine at the well as it provides water to my house and the cottage out back. Works good. If i only had to provide water for one dwelling I would have put it inside my house for convenience and better protection from the elements and critters.

Why are you guys saying put filter as "close to faucet" etc..? Is there really a greater chance of contamination in the piping or what?
View Quote

Ideally, any place after the pressure tank switch.  You want the switch to measure the actual pressure, not the lag that occurs through a filter unless it's huge and not dirty.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am on a private well and deal with sediment as well as radon in the water & in addition have a softener installed. The radon system aerates the water and vents the exhaust outdoors. I am told it will also remove any of the rotten egg smell but I do not have that issue. The system is quite pricey so I doubt you want to go that route. I also had installed a couple of the 10" big blue water filters. Even with clean water you would probably be surprised at what you are removing with filtration. You could even step up to the 20" big blue. Keep in mind the bigger the filter the less you need to change it and the less pressure drop you will see. I would install the filter as soon as it comes into the house. If you just put it at point of use like under the sink you are still sending unfiltered water to all of your fixtures and probably shortening their useful life. As for the charcoal filter in that instance you would probably want to add one at the point of use so you are not filtering say.. toilet water with your expensive charcoal filters... Unless your buddy can get them on the cheap.  Still a good idea to have a basic sediment filter on everything though.
View Quote

Thank yoi for this info. My friend can get me a big one that looks like a D size oxygen tank for $1200-$2000 (norm $5-6,000) he said it will last 5 yrs between refill. Kind of wonder what else is out there. Do I need to soften my water? There is a bunch of limestone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
We have pH buffer tank. Same considerations as a filter. Why would I filter all of the property? I put our tank only on the house intake.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank yoi for this info. My friend can get me a big one that looks like a D size oxygen tank for $1200-$2000 (norm $5-6,000) he said it will last 5 yrs between refill. Kind of wonder what else is out there. Do I need to soften my water? There is a bunch of limestone.
View Quote
A complete water test will tell you what is in your water and what you need to do to your water to fix it. You could have stuff in there that is toxic and be totally unaware of it. The hardness will tell you if a softener is a good idea or not. If you have soap scum build up... shower heads have white buildup or you soap does not froth up that is a good sign of hard water. Softeners are an investment but you are also saving your appliances with one too. There are all sorts of water treatment products out there for all sorts of problems. Like i said before though even just a basic filter or two is a good idea and at very minimal cost to install and maintain.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
You might want to look at a hydrogen peroxide filtration system.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you have iron bacteria not sulfur.

I have it too. I've been regularly shocking the well with chlorine bleach and it's been getting better. The longer the bleach sits in the well, the longer it lasts between shock treatments. Last time I did it, I dumped in the bleach/water mix, ran the nearby spigot back into the well till I could smell bleach, then shut it down and let it sit for two days. I plan to shock it again in a couple of weeks, then in April we will be out of town for a long weekend and we'll shock it and let it sit in there for 4 days. Then pump it out.

We have a filter in the house and it gets lots of rust from the iron bacteria in the water. I'm thinking of putting a finer filter on after the pleated filter just to catch the remainder.

The water tastes fine but sometimes smells funny. And, it's both cold and hot but it seems like the cold smells stronger.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you have to ask, then is there really a problem?  Just remember water that is too soft is corrosive on plumbing and leaches contaminants.  Sounds like a few dudes want to take your $.  The problems you describe sounds like easy fixes and may not require $.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, I am on a well. Without dumping a gallon of bleach every 2 months, I can't keep the sulfur at bay. I am building our home & was going to place a water filter in the Utility room for the kitchen access. Right now we have filtered water for drinking & cooking.  I don't filter showers or sink. But, now I wonder if I should just place it at the well. My buddy sets up sysyems for 1,000's of gallon aquariums. He said all I need is a large charcoal filter @ the well.

What do you all think or have?

Thanks.
View Quote

Large charcoal filter for the whole house in a location it can be serviced makes the most sense to me.  I have a particulate filter for the house.  The outdoor spigots are taken off before the particulate filter.

Good laboratory water tests run $20 or so, and is worth it to know what you are dealing with and how to size the treatment components.
Automated bleach injectors with a large treatment tank followed by a charcoal filter is the way to go if you cannot fix iron or sulfur bacterial in the well water by shocking it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have iron bacteria not sulfur.

I have it too. I've been regularly shocking the well with chlorine bleach and it's been getting better. The longer the bleach sits in the well, the longer it lasts between shock treatments. Last time I did it, I dumped in the bleach/water mix, ran the nearby spigot back into the well till I could smell bleach, then shut it down and let it sit for two days. I plan to shock it again in a couple of weeks, then in April we will be out of town for a long weekend and we'll shock it and let it sit in there for 4 days. Then pump it out.

We have a filter in the house and it gets lots of rust from the iron bacteria in the water. I'm thinking of putting a finer filter on after the pleated filter just to catch the remainder.

The water tastes fine but sometimes smells funny. And, it's both cold and hot but it seems like the cold smells stronger.
View Quote

Yes, my well guy said it was iron bacteria. I usually shock it for 8-10 hrs. It will last almost 2 months.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Large charcoal filter for the whole house in a location it can be serviced makes the most sense to me.  I have a particulate filter for the house.  The outdoor spigots are taken off before the particulate filter.

Good laboratory water tests run $20 or so, and is worth it to know what you are dealing with and how to size the treatment components.
Automated bleach injectors with a large treatment tank followed by a charcoal filter is the way to go if you cannot fix iron or sulfur bacterial in the well water by shocking it.
View Quote

Any recommendations for a testing company? Or does it matter. Many are wayer companies trying to sell their kits.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, my well guy said it was iron bacteria. I usually shock it for 8-10 hrs. It will last almost 2 months.
View Quote

Try shocking more frequently with a lower concentration a couple weeks apart.  Then plan an out of town trip for a few days after that and really dose it strong and let it sit. Then pump it out when you get back home.

How much bleach are you using per shock treatment?

Mine has been getting steadily better but I still get issues occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Any recommendations for a testing company? Or does it matter. Many are wayer companies trying to sell their kits.
View Quote
Look up water testing lab or state certified lab or something like that in your area. In my area a complete water test is on the order of $100-150. You want a test from a lab not a test from something like culligan with a salesman and some pH strips.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Try shocking more frequently with a lower concentration a couple weeks apart.  Then plan an out of town trip for a few days after that and really dose it strong and let it sit. Then pump it out when you get back home.

How much bleach are you using per shock treatment?

Mine has been getting steadily better but I still get issues occasionally.
View Quote

I dump a gallon of bleach. I used to use a bag of pool shock or a gallon of pool chlorine... but those became way to intense in the system.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I dump a gallon of bleach. I used to use a bag of pool shock or a gallon of pool chlorine... but those became way to intense in the system.
View Quote

Do you mix the bleach with water in a bucket and then dump it down or just dump the bleach down directly?  Do you run a hose back into the well and run it for an hour or so to circulate the treated water in the well?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-USY-0VAck
Engineer775 disinfecting a well
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Mama had a chlorinator installed on her well, due to iron bacteria. Automatic setup that injects a settable amount of dilute solution directly into the line past the pressure tank. Works pretty well, just have to keep the bin topped off with the correct solution (mix of bleach and water).
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you mix the bleach with water in a bucket and then dump it down or just dump the bleach down directly?  Do you run a hose back into the well and run it for an hour or so to circulate the treated water in the well?
View Quote

I just dump the bleach directly. No hose running. This how all my neighbors do it as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mama had a chlorinator installed on her well, due to iron bacteria. Automatic setup that injects a settable amount of dilute solution directly into the line past the pressure tank. Works pretty well, just have to keep the bin topped off with the correct solution (mix of bleach and water).
View Quote

Do you have a brand type? Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just dump the bleach directly. No hose running. This how all my neighbors do it as well.
View Quote

If you're doing the same thing over and over with the same results...it's time to change.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you're doing the same thing over and over with the same results...it's time to change.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Hence the thread for a filter system.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How bout new well?  deeper?  what do you have now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top