Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2017 7:30:51 AM EDT
I have been thinking about getting one fer the homestead. Our driveway frrom the street to the garage is .30 miles long. Plus there are trees surrounding the house to where it cant been seen from the road. I would like to know if someone is coming up the drive unexpected. The dogs usually hear the cars once they get close enough, but by then it might be too late. The only down side i have come up with fer getting one, is that i leave fer work at early in the morning so everyone is still asleep. So going past it will set the alarm off and probably spook the dogs which in turn will bark and end up waking everyone if the alarm doesnt do that first. We do have a gate at the end of the drive that is in front of the creek that needs to be crossed. It needs to be fixed up since its sagging and was put up pretty hastily. If i could i would just put a drawbridge with a sensor to lower and raise it. What kinds of setups do you have or do you think its even neccessary? Is a driveway alarm worth it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
What about a cellular game camera?  They can record multiple pics, video, day or night and have it reported to you as text/email.  Starting cost ~ $300 plus I think $30 bucks/monthly for the cell plan.  Perhaps someone with real experience could tell more.

Gates are good, just don't let their use indicate a pattern of presence.  I'd also put a video surveillance sign on it whether true or not.....it tends to turn prowlers off.  Would you use a manually operated farm gate?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
We have to share a drive with a neighbor, so no gate for us, but knowing when we have someone coming down the drive would be great, already have security cams that monitor parts of the drive. But don't want to monitor a screen 24x7, be nice to have a log of the activity to reference on the camera.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I highly recommend the MIGHTY MULE DRIVEWAY ALARM.
It is not influenced by moving tree limbs or animals that may be crossing in front of it.  It detects changes in the magnetic field which can only be caused by large metallic objects, such as a moving vehicle or someone pushing a steel wheelbarrow.
I've had mine almost 2 years now, and have yet to change the AA batteries in the transmitter.  I ordered a second receiver for my bedroom, and the other one is in my living room close to the windows where I can peek out.
It has never given me a false alarm, and it's inexpensive and reliable.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mighty-Mule-Wireless-Driveway-Alarm-FM231WB/202072041
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I highly recommend the MIGHTY MULE DRIVEWAY ALARM.
It is not influenced by moving tree limbs or animals that may be crossing in front of it.  It detects changes in the magnetic field which can only be caused by large metallic objects, such as a moving vehicle or someone pushing a steel wheelbarrow.
I've had mine almost 2 years now, and have yet to change the AA batteries in the transmitter.  I ordered a second receiver for my bedroom, and the other one is in my living room close to the windows where I can peek out.
It has never given me a false alarm, and it's inexpensive and reliable.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mighty-Mule-Wireless-Driveway-Alarm-FM231WB/202072041
View Quote

I have the Mighty MUle also.  It is great.  However, I do get false alerts occasionally.  I live in an area with high ore content in the ground, that may be the reason.  It is set far enough from the house so that I have time to  go to a window and check out the vehicle before it gets to the house.  Because of its design, it won't alert to pedestrians.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have found the Mighty Mule to be a good bargain.  It rarely gives a false alarm but it will occasionally miss a vehicle.  Changes in ground consistency - like a heavy rain - effects the performance.

With an increasing hearing loss, I had to replace the Mule with the Dakota Alert 2500 series products.  The base station alert is MUCH louder and it gives the option of 4 zone coverage.  I recently got the PR-2500 wireless receiver which is about the size of a pager and it has enhanced the overall effectiveness of the system exponentially.

The Dakota Alert products are pricey compared to the Might Mule but I think this is an instance of you get what you pay for.

Edit to add:  The Mighty Mule ONLY alerts to vehicular traffic.  In my area,  individuals or groups walking onto the property represent the greater security threat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Do either of those allow you to disable it and he enable it once you have gone past it? Such as with a remote of somekind? Also, the gate that is in the front is a metal cattle gate, would that send a false signal to it as well? I plan on take the gate down in the future and putting a wooden one up in its place.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do either of those allow you to disable it and he enable it once you have gone past it? Such as with a remote of somekind? Also, the gate that is in the front is a metal cattle gate, would that send a false signal to it as well? I plan on take the gate down in the future and putting a wooden one up in its place.
View Quote

When you install the Mighty Mule and have the probe buried correctly, you remove/ re-install the batteries in the transmitter in order for it to set a threshold.  The metal gate would be taken into consideration at that point and not send false alerts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Do any of these work over extended distances? IE, greater than half mile?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do any of these work over extended distances? IE, greater than half mile?
View Quote

The Dakota Alert's claim 2500' with LOS.  My experience indicates true reliability at lesser distances.

Dakota Alert also has MURS units that greatly increase the range.  I have no experience with these and am loathe to invest in them because of VERY mixed reviews.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Dakota alert and am very happy with it. It does have a temporary disarm for a few minutes so you can leave without waking up the family. The alarm is heat differential sensitive, not motion. When we drive out in a not warmed up car it misses it sometimes, I also noticed it misses humans when it's 100 deg outside. At $120 we got two and have both receivers set to alert and each transmitter on a different tone. Dakota Alert DCMA 2500.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#11]
That dakota one sounds like what i am looking fer. Id really hate to wake up the family at 4 am or earlier depending on when i have to leave.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That dakota one sounds like what i am looking fer. Id really hate to wake up the family at 4 am or earlier depending on when i have to leave.
View Quote

The Dakota products are about the best to be had on the market today.  Of course, you are paying 2X-3X the price of  products that occupy the tier below them.

I have had the same problem with the heat sensors on vehicles that are not warmed up.   The same limitations apply when the weather is very cold or very hot.  In addition,  if the sensor is placed in such a manner it receives direct sunlight in the lens early AM or late PM it will miss some vehicles.  One thing that has worked for me re: temperature problems is to  aim the sensor toward the exhaust portion of  the vehicle which seems to produce a  greater heat gradient than a frontal or side shot.

Best option is to place the sensor in close proximity to the travel lane.  Pinch points like gates are optimum.  The sensor has an LED light that activates when the sensor is triggered.  It can be disabled via a DIP switch in the sensor.

An advisory note.......  The Dakota warranty AND their customer service is decent.  Make SURE and keep purchase receipts as they do not cut ANY slack on the warranty period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top