BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I needs cleaned up but hey, we got it free from another farm that was going out of alpacas.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you have to restrain them with a head catch sort of device for blood draws like that?  Or is it just a chute like I think of as a cattle chute for injections?

OP, will your vet come to you?  Or do you have to haul the animals somewhere?
View Quote

For blood draws I hand restrain them and the wife stabs them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I should mention that the white side panels on each side are hinged and can swing open to access the animal.  It also has wheels so we can move it around if needed.

In the first and third pics, just on the other side of the treeline in the background is our neighbor's coffee farm.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What are those odd trees in the treeline...the ones with the perfectly parallel branching? They look like enormous fern fronds.
View Quote

I think they are Norfolk pines.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wow.  Never saw mature specimens.  That's kinda cool looking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they are Norfolk pines.

Wow.  Never saw mature specimens.  That's kinda cool looking.

I was mistaken, they are Sugi pines.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool thread, OP.  Well done.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you, pictures saved

right now "my vet" is the older gentleman that we got the girls from, him and his wife are slowly getting out of Alpaca breeding they are 70 and want to spend the time w/grandkids

They have been awesome, we are going to their place on Sunday afternoon to help give their remaining Alpacas (~15 of them) shots and learn how to do it, and then next Saturday he will come over and bring drugs and needles and help us with ours

Right now a real vet is about an hour away, and I am looking for an old used 2 horse trailer in case I need to move them.

The Pygmy goats I can just throw in my Tahoe
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool thread, OP.  Well done.

View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I should mention that the white side panels on each side are hinged and can swing open to access the animal.  It also has wheels so we can move it around if needed.

In the first and third pics, just on the other side of the treeline in the background is our neighbor's coffee farm.
View Quote

Very cool, thanks (quoted so I don't lose that info)
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#14]
What are the straps for

to give an illusion that they can't get out? Because if ours feel something on their butts, they will kick like a mule and di di mau

or to hold down their shoulders so they don't rear up
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What are the straps for

to give an illusion that they can't get out? Because if ours feel something on their butts, they will kick like a mule and di di mau

or to hold down their shoulders so they don't rear up
View Quote

One is a belly band so they don't cush, the other goes across the back once they are in so they hit it if they try and back out.  They are lead in with head halters.  We don't use the chute that often, mostly hoof trims on some of the more uncooperative ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't think of them cushing in that thing

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
How are the pacas doin?

I got an ARFCOMer visiting mine tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#18]
They are doing great! My wife feeds Rashima (white one) out of her hand and pets/rubs her with other hand, i did same last night...the other 2?aint got no time for that
I will update when i get to a computer

If we ever get back that way, i will let you know
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#19]
So let's update this here thread

Last thing I mentioned was learning to give shots for the menigingal worm...I was wrong, we learned to give a "drench"; safegard this time to cover the remaining possible pests/worms from the fall

So we learned how to catch/hold them and give them de-wormer with drench syringe, we went over to the farm where we got them and they showed us (free labor)

I did the whole casually walk next to them and slowly reach and hold their neck close to chest and put a hand on their shoulders, when wife went to drench (she has done horses, thankfully) I took hand off shoulders and held head flat...easy peezy

For the ladies!!!!!! ....next was the males they may of had me by only about 5 pounds, but I tell you what, I should of done them first and then the girls...
So...I casually worked up to the biggest one..at the time I wasn't skared......grabbed his neck like the ladies...ohhh...FUCK!!! it was on...........I was dragged around like some drunken redneck trying to ride an ostrich (saw this in S.Afrika)

SO... after the 4 of us held the biggest one (he will be our Alpacas baby mommas daddy) the others were a little easier, this weekend we will do ours

I did hold Malika last night and it worked

OH and I was asked if I had video of getting my azz kicked

Sadly no

Iff I did, It would of gone Viral and Bansil would be a household name for 15 min
I could have my own show a cross between green Acres and RedGreen
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL, yeah, I've been tossed around a time or two.  It's even better when they buck you off and give you a kick on the way out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeh,
They may walk like an old Brontosaurus, but damn their legs are faster than Bruce lee
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#22]
A picture from last night, they are slowly warming up to wifey
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A picture from last night, they are slowly warming up to wifey
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/turtlemechanic/Alpacas/20170201_194339_zps80n3973p.jpg
View Quote

Let me guess, she has food in her right hand.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
of course
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Well the two young ones run up to us now for grain, the older one just grunts and sounds like she is going to hawk a luggy at us at any minute
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Just finished shearing. thank God we won't have to deal with that for another year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:31:48 AM EDT
[#30]
We will be shearing in May if i remember correctly, luckily a guy travels our area and will vacuum, shear , trim nails and grind teeth for a very reasonable price
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We will be shearing in May if i remember correctly, luckily a guy travels our area and will vacuum, shear , trim nails and grind teeth for a very reasonable price
View Quote

We bring in a crew from Ohio that does this for a living.  They do all the farms here on the Big Island and they turn it into a mini-vacation.  They have the routine down pat and it makes for a much easier day than before we used them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#32]
The girlz are naked
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#34]
it's been windy and lows of 45* highs in 70's next Thursday they are calling for 52*/72* and 60% chance of snowy mix how does that even work like bagged milk from up north

It is easier to give them shots now
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Thats what we said
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#37]
So next weekend they get dectomax(s/p) and then they will go back to the place we got them so we can begin the breeding process

They will be away from us for 4/6 weeks

BUT! since they and the male are all virgins, apparently I get to don the blue gloves and play sex teacher

When they are gone, I plan to add another two fenced areas to rotate them and work on some shade/rain cover

We will than havee a year to convert other side of the barn to a "birthing/family area/nurse station/ bedroom

We are only 1/2 hr or so away so we will visit them weekly
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So next weekend they get dectomax(s/p) and then they will go back to the place we got them so we can begin the breeding process

BUT! since they and the male are all virgins, apparently I get to don the blue gloves and play sex teacher

When they are gone, I plan to add another two fenced areas to rotate them and work on some shade/rain cover

We will than havee a year to convert other side of the barn to a "birthing/family area/nurse station/ bedroom

View Quote
You will laugh your ass off watching and listening to the males during breeding.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Awww!  You're attached to them.

That's cool.

And why will you have a year?

I'm asking here rather than google "gestation period for alpacas"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awww!  You're attached to them.

That's cool.

And why will you have a year?

I'm asking here rather than google "gestation period for alpacas"

11.5 months is a long time to be inside momma, they come out between 15 and 19 pounds and look like aliens

went to put a video and apparently my membership ran out yesterday oops...

So I will have to fix that issue
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wow, that's a big baby.
View Quote
Our newest, born last week.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#45]
adorable, my wife will love that picture
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Wifey loves it!

Good thing you live in Hawaii

she can't drive her truck over and kidnap it

and thank God they won't fit in carry on
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wifey loves it!

Good thing you live in Hawaii

she can't drive her truck over and kidnap it

and thank God they won't fit in carry on
View Quote
She's a cutie and very social. Comes running over when she sees you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#49]
just loaded up the girls so they can go be bred...sad in a way , but very happy with possibly moar work this time next year with 3 youngins

so after car show on Saturday, we will swing by and get pictures and help with first attempt at...ugh...sexing them?.. or putting wiener in a bun
I will get pictures of what ever happens ....God speed...little soldiers
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Okay,
Saturday was, ugh interesting

Pulled up after car show at the winery

Then we started matching the girls up

cushed and getting some

This one was not happening, no matter how hard we tried to help, he was all too into anal for baby making....

So...NEXT

she was forced to act like a whore for the day

helping with what goes where

About 35 minutes later he got up and we separated everyone again...my picture taker was, well both the ladies had to much catching up to do and kept forgetting to take pictures
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top