Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2016 2:46:48 PM EDT
Good afternoon, arfommers.
I was wondering if any of you have had experience in the zero turn world and could recommend a good mower brand/model for me. I've got 5 acres currently, 3.5 of which I'd like to mow. I don't have the budget for a tractor, and need to replace my aging mower any way. My budget maxes out at really $4,200 or so and I looking for mainly a zero turn that is going to hold up to the land, doesn't have to cut pretty. I'm looking at the Dixie Chopper Zee 2, but nothing is set in stone at this point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
scag liberty z
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

scag liberty z
View Quote
That was actually my first choice, but its just so slightly out of my financial comfort zone

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Used commercial mower?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Used commercial mower?
View Quote
Well I need to finance most of it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I found the best new mower for the money would be the Hustler that Lowe's sells. Note I didn't say that it's the best on the market. It's the best for the money when I was researching mowers earlier this year. I bought the smaller one but you should look into a 60 inch one.

If money was no object I would buy a Scag. Unfortunately for me, I didn't want to spend that much for a mower. I like the Scag though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Used commercial mower?
Some personal loans though a credit union are can be as good as terms of a dealership.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I found the best new mower for the money would be the Hustler that Lowe's sells. Note I didn't say that it's the best on the market. It's the best for the money when I was researching mowers earlier this year. I bought the smaller one but you should look into a 60 inch one.

If money was no object I would buy a Scag. Unfortunately for me, I didn't want to spend that much for a mower. I like the Scag though.
View Quote
How long have you had your Hustler and about how much are you mowing each time? Any issues with it?

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How long have you had your Hustler and about how much are you mowing each time? Any issues with it?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am mowing about 1.5 acres with the 52 inch deck.  I've only used it for this summer. Aside from sharpening blades and changing the oil, I haven't had any repairs.....and shouldn't on a new mower. A couple years from now will determine if it's a good one or not. Quality seems fine and mows great.....and fast

I occasionally tow a 20 gallon sprayer when I spray the yard with permethrin for bugs....as in about 3 times per year. Nothing else.  The majority of zero turns are NOT made to tow things so don't try to tow trailers and such with one or you'll burn out the transmissions.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
You can also look at the Bad Boy ZT series.  I have the 60" (with Kawasaki upgrade) and it is tough as nails.  I have mowed rough pasture with it on many occasions and it has given me 0 issues.  The deck, deck attachment, blades and spindles are all heavy duty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an Exmark Quest S series, picked it up for less than $4500 and it runs great.  Doesn't slow down no matter how tall the grass, great ground speed, welded deck.  Zero % financing for like 48 months through Synchrony on them right now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Looking for sitting or standing with a velke?

I mow 30-40 residential lawns on my weekends with a 32" Wright walker. Most of the lawns are smaller, but I do have a 2.5 acre lawn that I takes about 20 minutes of mowing. 45-60 minutes with trimming and edging. That mower has been the best investment in my part time business I have made.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I mow 30-40 residential lawns on my weekends with a 32" Wright walker. Most of the lawns are smaller, but I do have a 2.5 acre lawn that I takes about 20 minutes of mowing. 45-60 minutes with trimming and edging. That mower has been the best investment in my part time business I have made.
View Quote

You mowing at 15 mph?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:48:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
I call BS on the 20 min for 2.5 acres unless you don't mow most of that.  Human just can't do that walking behind anything.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out country clipper. Joystick steering so one hand is free to block your face from branches and the tires don't skid when turning.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:55:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I call BS on the 20 min for 2.5 acres unless you don't mow most of that.  Human just can't do that walking behind anything.

http://www.bluehorizonfarm.com/horse/mowing-your-farm.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.bluehorizonfarm.com/horse/mowing-your-farm.html

Yeah....No way he's doing 2.5 acres in 20 mins....Not even with a 60 in deck.

My zero turn with 52 in deck takes me about 1 hr to mow 1 acre of mostly open yard with only a few trees and obstacles....and then some more time to mow the small areas around the property like the ditches and such.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I also just bit the bullet when the old mower died.  I have about an acre of mowing, the old craftman 42 inch cut it all in about 3.5 hours. I went with the Hustler Raptor SD 54. Came with 0% factory financing. It cuts like a dream, I can now do my yard in one hour 20 minutes and the cut is MUCH nicer. The SD get's you a heavier frame and larger tires, well worth the extra.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I also just bit the bullet when the old mower died.  I have about an acre of mowing, the old craftman 42 inch cut it all in about 3.5 hours. I went with the Hustler Raptor SD 54. Came with 0% factory financing. It cuts like a dream, I can now do my yard in one hour 20 minutes and the cut is MUCH nicer. The SD get's you a heavier frame and larger tires, well worth the extra.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/cyclicm16/IMAG07891_zpsetrbq8yz.jpg
View Quote

Looks similar to the Gravely XL I bought a few weeks ago. I got the bagger so mine was came to $5200 with tax. 0% interest as well.

Has the Kaw twin cylinder motor. It's a 52 the 60 was only $200 more but with the bagger I was worried about clearance in my enclosed trailer.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Our Hustler X-1's have held up to staff abuse this summer.
No down time except a few thrown belts (ez fix).

The X-1 is out of your price range, but their brand is very well built it seems.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/cyclicm16/IMAG07891_zpsetrbq8yz.jpg
View Quote

I am in the same spot. My 16 year old Craftsman is dying. Have been researching for 6 months and will likely buy same one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the main reasons I went with the Hustler SD was the better transmissions. Actually rebuildable and use spin on filters for easy fluid change. I did get the engine guard, cheap insurance and not expensive. Takes a little getting used too comming from a regular craftsman, but it's a quick learn as long as you keep away from ludacris speed at first.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#23]
As I am needing a new mower and have considered the Raptor SD 54 good thread OP.

I would like a bagger for my 3/4 front yard and 1/2 acre back yard. But not sure if I need it. Nice stand of Bermuda and no weeds to speak of. First full year in this house. Yard needs to be dethatched and bagged up. I imagine it has never been done.

So will I be able to just run a dethatcher and rake it or will a new ZTR be able to blow it all to my ditch by the road? Or bagger attachments for new mower?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Hustler Predator. I've had one for about a year.  I bought it to mow a hill, but the hill turned out to be too steep.  I still use it every day for transporting stuff in a cart up and down that steep hill.  I have other equipment, but I use the Hustler much more, since it doesn't damage the grass as much.  I beat it up, and it still comes back for more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm liking my bad boy mz. It's like the entry zt without a few of the bells and whistles like electric deck lift.
In the two summers I've had it I've got around 30 hours on it. Mowing around 1.5-2acres.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#26]
What about a Deines Marty J? Its nice to be able to grab the deck and flip it up for cleaning, and blade sharpening.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Flip decks are killer, but that one looks to be a fixed height. Adjustable height deck is important for most mowers/yards.

For blade change on most ZTR mowers, put deck at top height and simply jack up the front axle till even bubba can fit under. All the weight is on the back and it's pretty stable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#28]
On my Hustler, I can lift the front end up with one hand and put a 2x4 on end under the axle.  It's then high enough to remove the blades.  With a 1/2 impact it takes no time at all to sharpen the blades.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Flip decks are killer, but that one looks to be a fixed height. Adjustable height deck is important for most mowers/yards.
View Quote

It's adjustable by raising or lowering the wheels. There is no quick adjustment system. I doubt it cuts as well as modern mowers on a nice yard but it's built like a tank and would be great for a farm yard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]
60" Gravely.
4 years nothing down no interest. In four years I replaced a started solenoid (under warranty) and blades.
I mow about 6 acres of bahaya.
Your welcome.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Hustler Raptor or Bad Boy Maverick.

We went with a Bad Boy this year.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Parts, what is close would be a primary concern more than brand type
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top