Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 12:05:04 PM EDT
Hi All,

Fired up an old Franklin stove last night for the first time.  This thing came with the house and is showing much use.  One of the four glass windows is missing and half of one of the two baffles has broken off.  
I am not having any luck finding replacement glass and baffle.. and I'm not really sure it's needed.  This stove is in the basement and I am just setting up a little seating area around it so I can have some privacy
LOL.
I will probably just use it with the doors open anyway.  Are there any tips that I need to know?  I run my fireplace fine, but I've never used a stove before.

Regards
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your specific questions but my experience with Franklins is not too good. Use way too much wood for the amount of heat you get out of it.

Why not get a nice wood stove with a glass front?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
With stoves part of the control (primary) of the temperature\burn duration is how much air you let in and out.

The type of wood and amount are the other two controls.

Not being able to shut down the air supply = hot fire that'll burn out in a short time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I can cover the hole with a piece of heat resistant material.  The glass was on the inside behind the screen, maybe aluminum foil or pice of coffee can.  It's 1 of 4 and probably only 2x6 inches.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I can cover the hole with a piece of heat resistant material.  The glass was on the inside behind the screen, maybe aluminum foil or pice of coffee can.  It's 1 of 4 and probably only 2x6 inches.

Thanks
View Quote

The red and green text don't go together.

If you use anything, it will probably have to be sheet steel or steel plate.  And it won't be able to be welded to the cast iron, so it will have to be a slip fit.

In other words, it might not be worth it.  Up to you.

If I were you, I'd take a bunch of pics and post them over on Hearth.com/  They'll be able to tell the straight skinny on fixing it, if it's fixable.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely check out the other site. What I seem to be finding is that Franklin stove is more of a style than a brand. I ran across the owners manual and I swore it said Franklin. LOL if I can find it it probably has all the info I need.

I was hoping just to burn a couple logs for a couple hours every now and then. Something to sit next to and relax. I have no intention of burning it unattended or using it to heat the house. My wife likes to crank the thermostat so I have to turn it off and open All the windows every time I want to use the fireplace...

I burned a couple logs last week and watched it. It was a little awkward at first. The smoke wanted to come out the front.  It smelled good though.

Regards
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.antiquestoves.com/mica/micaglass/&ved=0ahUKEwiJy6v19uDPAhVKaz4KHWQQAsoQFghPMAE&usg=AFQjCNHw453yWFBpkI0bNuieWrBw199jjg&sig2=fiMwCNEZfhUrYAuxDYxL6Q

What you want to fix the missing Windows.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top