Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2016 10:02:09 AM EDT
How many of you purchase food items (powdered, freeze dried, baking items, etc.) through companies that are already pre-packaged. Companies like Emergency Essentials (BePrepared.com) seem to have a fairly comprehensive list of food items, but paying significantly more to have things packaged in #10 cans or mylar bags/food grade buckets adds up quickly. I can see it being worth the cost to just have to move the item from your porch to your pantry and start rotating it through your food selection. How many by pre-packaged for long term storage versus doing the preparation yourself?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
We have at least 2 years of food on hand.

Zero freeze dried or pouched or anything like that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
We have quite a bit of freeze dried on hand, nothing purchased. We freeze dry it ourselves.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have quite a bit of freeze dried on hand, nothing purchased. We freeze dry it ourselves.
View Quote

Since you're doing a thread on freeze drying, please include cost and info on your freeze drier. Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you mind sharing how/what you stock? I know many people enjoy canning, but I don't think my wife would go for canned meats or other things you don't typically see. From my understanding, not everything can be safely or successfully canned, but I'm sure people would argue otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

For how many people?

I would love to see your setup/stock.  More details please.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Would you mind sharing how/what you stock? I know many people enjoy canning, but I don't think my wife would go for canned meats or other things you don't typically see. From my understanding, not everything can be safely or successfully canned, but I'm sure people would argue otherwise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We stock what we eat, we cook with basic ingredients. This lets us have a large amount of the same things, but it allows us to make a large number of dishes.

We buy meat by the animal. We have 3 chest freezers STUFFED full, plus 3 fridge/freezers that always have full freezers and whatever produce is in season in the fridge sections.

We have a root cellar that is 8x10 and has only a narrow walkway, otherwise stuffed floor to ceiling with food. Down in the root cellar is also the LTS pile (Long Term Storage), where we have mylar packed items such as beans, rice, sugar, powdered milk, etc. That is the last ditch effort food supply.

We actually have very little canned. We don't like canned almost anything. Its fresh, frozen, or shelf stable for 95% of our food.

We may or may not have 4) 55 gallon barrels full of whole wheat and oats.

Spices are vital. We buy spices by the gallon bag.

Now, since we rely heavily on the freezers, we have 4 generators and enough gas to keep the freezers cold for weeks at minimum. We also have canning supplies on hand (and yes, canning experience) and other methods ready as well to take the meat out of the freezers and preserve them in other ways should the need arise.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For how many people?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For how many people?

Just posted above with some details, its figured for my wife and I, and our two kids.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I like you and would subscribe to your newsletter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We stock what we eat, we cook with basic ingredients. This lets us have a large amount of the same things, but it allows us to make a large number of dishes.  

We buy meat by the animal. We have 3 chest freezers STUFFED full, plus 3 fridge/freezers that always have full freezers and whatever produce is in season in the fridge sections.

We have a root cellar that is 8x10 and has only a narrow walkway, otherwise stuffed floor to ceiling with food. Down in the root cellar is also the LTS pile (Long Term Storage), where we have mylar packed items such as beans, rice, sugar, powdered milk, etc. That is the last ditch effort food supply.

We actually have very little canned. We don't like canned almost anything. Its fresh, frozen, or shelf stable for 95% of our food.

Now, since we rely heavily on the freezers, we have 4 generators and enough gas to keep the freezers cold for weeks at minimum. We also have canning supplies on hand (and yes, canning experience) and other methods ready as well to take the meat out of the freezers and preserve them in other ways should the need arise.

I like you and would subscribe to your newsletter.

Thanks.

I have a website/Facebook, but I find I am a very boring person, which is very apparent with my youtube vids
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you doing for fruits and vegetables? Off the top of my head, they can canned, frozen, freeze dried, or stored in the root cellar you speak of. How long do you keep them before eating?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What are you doing for fruits and vegetables? Off the top of my head, they can canned, frozen, freeze dried, or stored in the root cellar you speak of. How long do you keep them before eating?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our fruit is either:

Fresh (we produce our own berries/apples) (90% of our fruit)

frozen (berries don't last with anything else, and we freeze apple filling for pies/crisp desserts)

canned (we buy some commercially canned fruit that we don't have easy organic access to, and we can peaches/pears ourselves)

root cellar (some pear varieties and apples)

Quite honestly, the body's NEED for fruit is low. We (as people) LIKE fruit. So as a point of preps, it isn't super important to have a lot on hand. (You can get more Vit C from bell peppers, BTW)

ETA: Veggies are more of the same. We root cellar all our carrots, potatoes, onions, etc.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top