Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2016 8:59:00 PM EDT
So I need a 7kw solar system and it's EXPENSIVE. Is a solar system something I can buy small and add to as I go?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Panels and batteries you can start small and grow if everything between them is purchased with your final goal in mind.

The gauge wire used, charge controller, inverter and battery case are some examples of things you should buy only once.

Leaving room for more panels and batteries including ventilation etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Many of the larger inverters have a generator start feature, so you could go big battery bank, generator, and little to no solar panels and keep adding panels as you can.  

I would go this route over starting with a small battery bank.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many of the larger inverters have a generator start feature, so you could go big battery bank, generator, and little to no solar panels and keep adding panels as you can.  

I would go this route over starting with a small battery bank.
View Quote

Awesome. Yeah that's pretty much what I wanted to do since it seems like the panels are the costly part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with a 48 volt system and a quality inverter/charger/controller like something from Outback.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much space is needed per panel?  I can read the dimensions of the panel but they mount on an angle and I'm not sure of required spacing between panels as well as space for the mounting system and inverters.  One of the estimates that I ran said I would need 32 solar panels to get the energy I would need given the sunlight for my area.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go with a 48 volt system and a quality inverter/charger/controller like something from Outback.  
View Quote

Ok. Was actually thinking 10w and a massive battery bank because up here at 1800 feet the weather is nuts in the poconos. One minute it's sunny next minute it's castover. Would rather have surplus of energy than have my bank go dry.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are in a location that is always windy, you could look into adding micro-wind into the system as well.

I've looked into all that solar/wind, and found that for off grid living its easier to NOT rely on electricity at all.

The only reason I've found power would be darn near needed long term is to power security systems and maybe charge small electronics, of which the solar/wind system could be MUCH smaller.

For short(er) term stuff, a generator (or multiple generators for redundancy) seemed to be more economical, even when storing fuel.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok. Was actually thinking 10w and a massive battery bank because up here at 1800 feet the weather is nuts in the poconos. One minute it's sunny next minute it's castover. Would rather have surplus of energy than have my bank go dry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want whole house power and are trying to do it on the cheap you will be disappointed.  My off-grid house has 2 x 48v banks.  Each bank has 8 x 6v Interstate LC16 batts.  My inverter/charger/controller is from Outback.  My backup generator (for when we have consecutive cloudy days) is a Honda EU6500is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you want whole house power and are trying to do it on the cheap you will be disappointed.  My off-grid house has 2 x 48v banks.  Each bank has 8 x 6v Interstate LC16 batts.  My inverter/charger/controller is from Outback.  My backup generator (for when we have consecutive cloudy days) is a Honda EU6500is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full house but not on the cheap. Just something I want to set up so I can eventually reach the point that it covers the full house.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Full house but not on the cheap. Just something I want to set up so I can eventually reach the point that it covers the full house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to break it to you, but the only way to have an affordable home solar system that meets all you needs, you would have had to start planning on in when you bought your appliances. Things that you don't consider now start becoming important-like the start up current on a well pump or refrigerator. Cheap solar in the interim means LED lights, rationing your TV and coffee maker luxury when the weather has been cloudy in the winter for a few days.

Buying solar is one of those deals in life where buying cheap means buying twice. Batteries wil be your biggest portion of the cpsystem total cost, everything else can be sourced on your own at the lowest price you can find-and don't even think about having someone else do your system for you if you don't have a lot of money to burn..
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry to break it to you, but the only way to have an affordable home solar system that meets all you needs, you would have had to start planning on in when you bought your appliances. Things that you don't consider now start becoming important-like the start up current on a well pump or refrigerator. Cheap solar in the interim means LED lights, rationing your TV and coffee maker luxury when the weather has been cloudy in the winter for a few days.

Buying solar is one of those deals in life where buying cheap means buying twice. Batteries wil be your biggest portion of the cpsystem total cost, everything else can be sourced on your own at the lowest price you can find-and don't even think about having someone else do your system for you if you don't have a lot of money to burn..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

......and that's what I was afraid of. As for someone else doing it, fuck that. My plan was to have someone teach me how go do it. I'm car-stupid and electricity-stupid. Just now found out how to change my own oil.

Even still, all babies crawl before they walk. The battery bank I heard isn't the exp00nsiv part. It's the freaking panels. Or am I wrong? Getting confused.

I wanted to buy everything nix the panels to save money and just buy the panels individually if that makes sense. About to start wearing my shoes on my head lol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get discounts for buying an entire pallet of panels, so buying one by one may end up being more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe I missed it, but what is your budget for your solar project?

It really is one of those pay to play things, anything less than a large check up front is wasted money.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe I missed it, but what is your budget for your solar project?

It really is one of those pay to play things, anything less than a large check up front is wasted money.
View Quote

Didnt have one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My Google Fu is OK. Every time I've looked into solar I can't find any decent information.
If someone would be kind enough to post some reliable links that would be awesome.
How do you figure your needs?
Initial investment?
Return on investment?
I personally have plenty of space for equipment and panels, but I've been unable to figure out where to start.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

......and that's what I was afraid of. As for someone else doing it, fuck that. My plan was to have someone teach me how go do it. I'm car-stupid and electricity-stupid. Just now found out how to change my own oil.

Even still, all babies crawl before they walk. The battery bank I heard isn't the exp00nsiv part. It's the freaking panels. Or am I wrong? Getting confused.

I wanted to buy everything nix the panels to save money and just buy the panels individually if that makes sense. About to start wearing my shoes on my head lol.

View Quote

Good batteries are fucking expensive.  There's no way around that.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Take your whole house off-grid?  Battery backup for critical systems?  Solar charging for critical systems backup?

How big are your loads, and how frequently do they run?  Does utilization of those loads change by season?

Our system in a nutshell:

Grid interactive with battery backup for critical systems.

Critical systems:  kitchen, bathroom, hand-full of other lights (all LED) & fans; refrigeration; on-demand water heater; RO & softener; data network; wood stove fan; propane space heater for top floor; gas range and hood; clothes washing machine; my WFH desk.  several strategically placed outlets in living areas for whatever.  Probably a few other things too.

48V@820A battery bank (Surrette 6V batteries)

14 barn-mounted Sharp 250w panels (3500W).

Portable 7kw generator with outside plug used exclusively for charging batteries

6kw Xantrex XW inverter / charger running in interactive mode (charge batteries, power current loads, sell the excess back).

80A/600V Xantrex charge controller (so I could use 10ga wire to get all of that power from panels back to house)

Adding the extra panel and battery capacity to be able to support the geothermal heat/AC, air compressor, welder, clothes dryer, extraneous lights that the kids never turn off, entertainment center, etc was just an impractical setup.

You can build a system with plans to grow, but they need to be well thought out plans.  If you just buy a bunch of shit with the attitude that you can buy more shit later, save your money and go buy a new diesel truck or some hunting property.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Google Fu is OK. Every time I've looked into solar I can't find any decent information.
If someone would be kind enough to post some reliable links that would be awesome.
How do you figure your needs?
Initial investment?
Return on investment?
I personally have plenty of space for equipment and panels, but I've been unable to figure out where to start.
View Quote

I like the video series from Alt-E.  There are some sales oriented videos in there, but also educational ones.

Alt-E videos

Here's the starting pint for designing a system:

Step One -- Loads

I've watched hundreds of YouBoob videos and most of them are too basic and quite often wrong.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What are you trying to accomplish?  Take your whole house off-grid?  Battery backup for critical systems?  Solar charging for critical systems backup?

How big are your loads, and how frequently do they run?  Does utilization of those loads change by season?

Critical systems:  kitchen, bathroom, hand-full of other lights (all LED) & fans; refrigeration; on-demand water heater; RO & softener; data network; wood stove fan; propane space heater for top floor; gas range and hood; clothes washing machine; my WFH desk.  several strategically placed outlets in living areas for whatever.  Probably a few other things too.

Portable 7kw generator with outside plug used exclusively for charging batteries
6kw Xantrex XW inverter / charger running in interactive mode (charge batteries, power current loads, sell the excess back).
80A/600V Xantrex charge controller (so I could use 10ga wire to get all of that power from panels back to house)

Adding the extra panel and battery capacity to be able to support the geothermal heat/AC, air compressor, welder, clothes dryer, extraneous lights that the kids never turn off, entertainment center, etc was just an impractical setup.

You can build a system with plans to grow, but they need to be well thought out plans.  If you just buy a bunch of shit with the attitude that you can buy more shit later, save your money and go buy a new diesel truck or some hunting property.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take whole house offgrid in a manner of speaking. Want enough power to independently run everything if power goes down. Will still he hooked up to grid so want to reduce electricity costs when sun is out. I live in the pocono mountains so we get plenty of castover(Champion Generator will come into play here)
. My useage is minimal. like 6kwh. Fridge, well pump, water heater, fans, a few lights my computer and maybe TV. I think that's it and to boot I'm not the type of person who leaves shit running all day.

TLDR - Reduce cost and emergency backup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top